Limitations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Limitations

i know there are restrictions and limitations on what you do after surgery, but does anything last for longer than a year, or your whole life? like, never being able to do certain gymnastics or yoga or pilates moves and handstands and backbends and cartwheels and lifting heavy things again?
    upper curve 50
    lower curve 56
    surgery dec 17th 2004

My daughter Amber had her 3 month post-op check-up today. The doctor has lifted many of her restrictions and said that by the 12 month mark she should have no limitations. Of course there will be some things that she can't do because she is fused from T4 to L4 and that area won't ever bend again. I'm sure though that she find a way to do most things that she wants too. What you can do really depends on the size of your fusion.
    Best wishes.
    Cheryl.

Comment

i have two curves in a backwards s...its pretty much my whole back....i dont know the details of my surgury but the whole spine had to be fused....i dont know if they do that, but if they did, wouldnt you never be able to bend ever again?
      upper curve 50
      lower curve 56
      surgery dec 17th 2004

Comment

You cannot bend where the fusion is. So if it is the whole length of your back that is where you will not bend. Amber's fusion is from T4 to L4 which is pretty much from top to bottom. Her incision is 42 centimetre's long and the fusion is around the same length. It sounds scarier than what it is because you learn new ways of doing everything. Of course there will be somethings that will be just impossible but compromise is part of life.
        Best wishes.
        Cheryl.

Comment

Limitations are pretty much what you make them. Yes there are certain things you shouldn't do. Mostly because it hurts you. I had T2-L4 I think, but I still can bend pretty much normally. I play sports for my high school. I am 3 years post surgery. I do have my back pains that remind me of my limitations, but as long as I don't let that pain get to me I go on doing everything I have done since my surgery. Of course, I built my way up there. No time soon am I going to let myself fall back down though.

Comment

Working...
          X