8 months post op and tripped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8 months post op and tripped

Hi Guys at work today I tripped, didnt fall i caught myself intime, I was going up some stairs....dont know how I tripped going Up stairs by there you go, i twisted funny, my back hurt for a little while and so did my shoulder blade for some reason, I was surprised at how fast the pain went though.

I get stabbing pains the middle of my back still but I have had that since the surgery anyway, I am also now doinf the filing at work have been for the past few months, and that involves bending sometimes, I dont get pain with it most of the time, some times i do though...I guess im just doing to much

It can be funny at times though like yesterday when I was doing the filing one of the cabinets is a weird height so have to bend slightly, but i was bent i would says 2-3 mins while I was doing the filing and I couldnt get back up, I wasnt in pain I had just gone stiff luckly noone was around to see me

I want to get back to execise aswell I use to do the execise Bike and also ab execises like sit-ups and that what would you lot suggest me do, I dont get much out of my docs or surgeons as they say i can do anything I like, but I am still worried as the back is still healing, any suggestions...think that is why I am tried other then a bit of walking im not getting much execise compared to before the op.

Thank you I know long message...

Angela
    xx
    Angela, 25 England.
    75 curve top of spine, and getting worse slowly.
    Surgery on 21st May 2008. T3-L4
    Op went well 20ish degree curve now.
    May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Hi Angela,

I had my operation about 8 months ago as well, and I started PT about a month after surgery. That really helped me to get back into shape. My PT and surgeon thought it would be a good idea to join a gym, so I've been doing that for about a month now. I mainly do the elliptical for about 30-45 min and am back to running on the treadmill again. I've also been doing some light weight training. I find that all of this working out has dramatically helped with the pain. Anyhow, just do whatever you feel comfortable doing, but I feel at this point, exercising would be beneficial--just from personal experience. Good luck!

Comment

yeah I will get back into it soon, wont join a Gym though dont like them, I will get some new exercise equipment for home..

I never had PT they never recommended it for me, maybe it has something to do with my other illness im not sure, my stomach problem seems to have got a lot better from my op though aswell, they said it could have been my spine putting presure on it, and making it play up so much, i use to have problems with it once or twice a month and now havent had any probs since just after the op, played up right after the op though think that was the shock though...

Cant wait to get back exercise, hopefully wont be as tired when I start.
      Angela, 25 England.
      May need op in 18 months to remove rods due to pain, but might calm down when bone graft has healed, less pain now, just some shoulder blade pain, and a cold spot in middle right of back.

Comment

Angela

Sorry to hear you tripped, but I'm glad it wasn't a serious fall.

You might want to be careful about sit-ups, there are exercises you can do with your legs that accomplish the same thing, and don't put pressure on your back.

Without a PT you should be careful in what you do. Others here can give you much more advice than I can about that. I don't even have any links to good exercises.

Brad
        Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
        Still have 57 degree curve
        2 Harrington rods
        Luque method used
        Dr David Bradford
        Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
        Preop xray (with brace on)
        Postop xray

Comment

Angela,

I agree with Brad--avoid the regular sit ups. We had a post a month or so ago about exercises for abs, I'll try to find it for you. Would they send you to PT if you requested it? Just to learn how to exercise properly?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

send to me as well?

Originally posted by debbei View Post
            Angela,

I agree with Brad--avoid the regular sit ups. We had a post a month or so ago about exercises for abs, I'll try to find it for you. Would they send you to PT if you requested it? Just to learn how to exercise properly?
            Debbei-will u send those to me too please? I would love to learn how to use my stomach muscles again, when Im ready to jump into some exersices. I cant even suck in my stomach now, which is an odd feeling.
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Lynn & Angela,

I know we had a thread about it not too long ago, but darn if I can find it. My PT has me doing so many things that involve the abs. I think this is really something that when you are ready, you have a real PT show you how at first.

Sorry I'm not more help.

Comment

Angela-- so sorry you tripped, but it sounds like you caught yourself ok. I bet it gave you a scare though!

Angela and LynnMarie-- About the exercising: I strongly suggest you clear that with your surgeon first. There are older posts that talk about abs-- if you type in core strengthening you'll find several, I think. The one by SarahK is one I'm thinking of... I did an attachment with some from my PT. The reason I think you should clear it, is that I wasn't released to do those until 11 months post-op. At 6 months post-op I was allowed to go to PT for arm and leg strengthening. And at 11 months I was released to do core strengthening. BTW, instead of bending at work, you should be squatting. Bending is not good for you. One of the end results from my two bouts of PT was learning proper body mechanics for a fused spine (and really, it's for everyone). I know that every doctor is different, and maybe mine was being very cautious with me-- but it's important that you listen to the expert on what you should or shouldn't do. There are plenty of exercises to strengthen and tighten those abs without doing sit-ups and other exercises that are going to stress your back. And maybe the timing isn't right for you yet.

Gotta go get ready for work. Take care. Susie
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Exercise

At three months, I asked my surgeon, Lawrence Lenke, if I could do sit ups. He looked at me with a grin and turned to the fellows who follow him around and said, "She is why we put all that hardware in there!" He suggested leg lifts, instead. I've begun doing them with ankle things that can take weights, up to five pounds at half pound increments. I agree that it is best to get a PT or coach to show you how. I also do reverse crunches. These are done flat on the back, moving the legs parallel to the trunk from scrunched up to extended.

For me, around four months, I got confused about how best to proceed. Some of it was that the weather got worse and four-mile walks were no longer pleasant. Some of it was that it just didn't feel like enough.

I am now six months post and am scheduled to start with a PT next week. I think that our surgeons leave us on our own for too long.

Like you, I get "stuck," if in one position too long.

I fell! On Wednesday, we were going down some steps. My husband fell and, because I was carefully using his arm, I fell. He's been so frightened that I'd fall that I think I started telling him that I was alright before I landed. :-) Like you, I was a little sore. Obviously, the back is fine. I wrenched my knee some and that has slowed me down. Mostly, my adrenalin shot up! I was quite tired all day yesterday.

Let's keep up a discussion of exercise.
                  Cheryl

Double major idiopathic scoliosis from 1988; progressed to 53 degree thoracic/65 degree lumbar.
                  Corrected (with posterior surgery, fusion from T4 to the sacrum, & instrumentation) on August 4, 2008
                  by Lawrence Lenke to within 10 degrees.

Love this forum! Thanks, all!

Comment

I will see my doc about PT as they can refer you aswell, I will leave the ab training till I have seen him.

I went on my execise bike only for 15mins and that was fine I made sure I kept my back stright anyway, havent tried the rowing machine cause you need to lean forward slightly on that so will ask doc first.

The ankle weight and lifting your legs while sat down sounds a good idea dint think of that ..
                    I will see how I go, and I know I shouldnt be bending at work but it is only one filing cabinet you cant squat because its and awkward height, and you cant stand there and do it because it is to low down, for the filling draw right at the bottom I sit on the floor and do that one and the other two I can just stand there....
                    If that makes any sense at all.

Thank you for all the advice.
                    Angela
                    Angela, 25 England.

Comment

Angela,

also while leg weights are on, in a laying on your back, leg raises straight up, then out to the side, then from side inwards and up to the middle. I hope that makes sense

Comment

yeah that makes sense I got ankle, and wrist weights today and done the leg lifts while laid on my back, could feel it working, was good and no back pain with that.

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...9UC452161X.jpg

Hope that link works I am looking at gettng this as unlike the ab ones where you lay on the floor and lift yourself this one supports your back, I was wondering what you think as I have to get it before I can see my doc as they only have one left, all the reviews on the site says it is good and works well, but of course them people havent had an op on there spine.

Please let me know if the link works?

Angela
                        Angela, 25 England.

Comment

Angela,

yes the link works, and wow what a contraption that is! It looks like it would be fine and you wouldn't hurt yourself, but geez, now on earth would you hook yourself into that thing without bending over? LOL HOw much $$ is that thing?

I think I'll stick with the ankle weights and just lay on the floor. Last night in the middle of the night (couldn't sleep) I ordered ankle and hand weights from Amazon.

Comment

My friend who is a personal fitness trainer wouldn't let me get wrist or ankle weights because she said they put too much weight unnaturally far from your body core, and it's too easy to hurt yourself. Be careful everyone!

Comment

19 years ago, I was cleared by my surgeon to do stationary biking about 6 months post-op (Harrington Rods at that time) and it helped a ton in getting my endurance back. I was cleared to swim at 8 months and that helped a ton in getting back my lung capacity.

In terms of core strength exercisees - I was never really given any direction on this after my surgery in 1990 and was just told I could keep doing "curl-ups". Since then, I have herniated a disc below my fusion and have learned that curl-ups are not so good for fused backs. My PT put me on a program that uses an exercise ball, some isometric core exercises (using your body's strength against itself) and some core exercises involving activitating the core muscles and moving the legs around in different ways. It's similar to pilates in some ways. Going to a PT for help has been really helpful to me, in that she is able to tell me if I am doing the exercises properly and activating the right muscles in my core. I would high recommend going to a PT for core strengthening exercises to anyone who has this option.
                              - 39 years old
                              - At age 14, curve progressed from 45 degrees to 62 degrees in two months.
                              - Surgery in 1990 at the Children's Hospital of Eastern Ontario (CHEO) with Dr. Letts. Fused T5 to L2. Corrected to about 30 degrees.
                              - Harrington rod
                              - Herniated disc - L5/S1 - January 2008. Summer 2009 - close to making a full recovery.
                              - New mommy as of February 2011
                              - Second child - September 2013
                              - Staying relatively painfree through physio exercises!

Comment

Working...
                              X