Kyphosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kyphosis

What is kyphosis? Does this go hand in hand with scoliosis?

My dd is going for another x-ray this week and we will see the surgeon on the 18th. Our current surgeon is ordering a lateral x-ray in addition to one from the back (the first surgeon we saw only ordered one from the back).

Any explanations would be welcome!

Thanks!
    Marian

kyphosis - think hunchback.

The lateral xray is to see how much the spine is bending forwards (or backwards) from normal, this is instead of the xray from the back where they were looking at curves side to side.

The spine when you look at is sideways (instead of from the back) is supposed to be curved. However sometimes it curves too much, or not enough.

Kyphosis will usually be thoracic, so upper body. Usually looks a bit bent forwards.

Another to look on this xray is if the spine is too rigid and straight. Flat back syndrome. Think very perfect posture. Only it is painful.

Comment

Hi Marian
      Lateral x-ray of the spine is used to assess the sagittal balance of the spine (how the curves are in the front to back direction)

Thoracic spine should have a normal kyphosis and this is always disrupted in thoracic Idiopathic Scoliosis. If a normal kyphosis exists an MRI is indicated to rule out any other factors causing the scoliosis.
      Measuring sagittal balance in the thoracic spine can apparently be useful in predicting which cases might end up in surgery due to progression.
      I covered this in my blog post Will my child need Scoliosis surgery?

I believe that your new doctor is thorough and following standard practice in modern investigation/examination of your child's scoliosis.
      A practitioner seeking answers to enhance the treatment of Idiopathic Scoliosis

Blog: www.fixscoliosis.com/

Comment

Hi Marian,

The others have given you a good descriptin of what Kyphosis is so I'll answer your other question. Does this go hand in hand with Scoliosis? Not always. Some people only have Kyphosis, others only have Scoliosis and some, like my daughter, have both. She has Kyphoscoliosis.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Thanks to all!

Marian

Comment

Originally posted by pmsmom View Post
            Thanks to all!

Marian
            Sorry for the icon where the tongue is sticking out.

Trying to get the hang of this new computer.

Marian

Comment

Working...
            X