shingles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shingles

i am scheduled for surgery on Wednesday with Dr. Rand in Boston and I am fairly positive I have shingles. I am so upset I am beside myself. I am pretty sure they will cancel my surgery and I don't know what the hell I am going to do.
    avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Avis,

I'm so sorry... Shingles can be nasty - how are you fairing, physically? What makes you fairly sure this is what you have? I don't know how shingles could affect your surgery, but I hope if it does have to be rescheduled, it will be soon.

The one thing I would say, from when my Mum had shingles a few years ago - she went to the doc about a wk after she first noticed the symptoms, & the doc said there was an injection she could have been given to send the h. zoster virus back into "remission", but that it had to be given very quickly after symptoms emerge - I think it was no more than 48hrs.

I know you will no doubt be calling your surgeon about the new development anyway, but if your symptoms are very new it might be worth asking either your surgeon or your GP (uhh...in America - family doctor??) about this. Perhaps surgery won't be out of the question. I'm sorry I can't give you any more info on the injection, but it was some years ago now & I mustn't be googling the right terms. Perhaps it is no longer available. But I really hope it can be an option for you, or someone else will hurry along with a better idea.

I really hope this doesn't affect your surgery date....I know it's small consolation to say that once you're over this blip you will go into the surgery healthier and stronger than now...

Thinking of you...Best wishes for a speedy recovery & for your hopefully still upcoming surgery.

Take care.

Comment

Just an addition to Michelle's post, my partner had shingles about 12 months ago. He saw the doctor in the first week of symptoms and he was prescribed medication which must be taken in the first week, probably similar to the injection. It cleared it up in about another week.

Fingers crossed it doesn't make any difference to your surgery. But please see a doctor for a proper diagnosis asap so that medication can be started. If you miss that first week, shingles can be nasty. Let us know how you go.

Good luck!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

You're in my thoughts and prayers. Take things one day at time... you'll get through this dilemma, even if it does postpone your surgery. And hopefully, it won't.

It's sounds like dis and Jennifer have some good info there.
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I'm so sorry Avis. Let us know what the Dr.'s say.

((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
          Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
          Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
          Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
          Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Avis,

I am so sorry to hear that you might have the shingles. Stress is a big factor when it comes to getting shingles and God knows you have been under a great deal of stress lately. Please, please keep me posted as to the outcome. I hope your surgery doesn't get postponed but just take Susie*Bee's advice - one day at a time. We are all pulling for you. Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

the main problem with dr. rand is his office. they don't call back in a timely manner and they aren't very good at getting dr. rand to answer questions. Since my gp said it should be cancelled for 2 weeks because of the shingles, then Hillary said they would go along with my doc's advice. I really wanted dr. rand to call me back but I know he won't and I apologize for ranting but this has not been a pleasant experience.
              avis
              Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Avis,
                I understand your rant completely about Dr. Rand's office staff. I did a whole rant about it last August when my nine month post-op appointment was cancelled by Priscilla the day before the appointment. I had several other issues with them about various things. My hubby wouldn't let me complain to Dr. Rand because he was afraid that the girls in the office would retaliate. I can understand they are being very protective of Dr. Rand's time, but I don't think they are very efficient. I know Dr. Rand does three surgeries a week and many of them are long surgeries like mine, so many times, his office staff is gone home for the day before he gets out of surgery. But I do understand your frustration. Keep a log of all your problems and maybe someday, we can submit letters to Dr. Rand together. Take care and try to relax even though I know it is hard right now.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Originally posted by theizzard View Post
                  the main problem with dr. rand is his office. they don't call back in a timely manner and they aren't very good at getting dr. rand to answer questions. Since my gp said it should be cancelled for 2 weeks because of the shingles, then Hillary said they would go along with my doc's advice. I really wanted dr. rand to call me back but I know he won't and I apologize for ranting but this has not been a pleasant experience.
                  avis
                  Avis,

PLEASE don't apologize for anything. You have every right to rant. I'm sorry this has happened and caused you more grief. Did your GP give you something for the shingles?

Again, come on here and rant any time you want. That's what we're here for.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

First, it is such a pleasure to be able to come here and rant but also to know that others have been down the same road and totally know what I am talking about. Thank you all for being here.
                    avis
                    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Dear Avis,

I'm so sorry to hear that you have shingles. I hope you have a quick recovery and can put your mind at ease regarding your surgery. Mentally preparing yourself for surgery is half the game. You have had what my father used to call a "dry run" so you will be even more prepared for when you are rescheduled.

I am also sorry that you have had a difficult time communicating with Dr. Rand's staff. My experience has always been very positive with Priscilla. Last summer I did something that put me in a great deal of pain. Priscilla called Dr. Rand in the OR and asked him what he would recommend. I sometimes thought Hillary took longer to respond to issues than I would have preferred. Dr. Rand walks on water as far as I am concerned. Like Sally's surgeries, my two surgical dates went late into the evening and long after his staff had left the office which probably impacts a smooth flow of information. If you have Peggy Huddleston's cd, plug it in and try to get some rest tonight. You will be missing the snow storm predicted here for Wednesday.

Take care,
                      Linda
                      Linda
                      Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                      S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                      Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                      Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

thanks linda. maybe instead of trying to work with hillary, i should go through priscilla. i called after the staff was gone and the answering service had him paged. someone named lorie called and asked what we had paged dr. rand about. i went through the shingles and surgery routine and said that i had never heard officially from dr. rand about the surgery. so then dr. rand got on the phone and i could tell that he had no idea about me having shingles and it was the first time he heard about it. the bottom line was that he deferred to my gp who said to wait 2 weeks. hillary told me that he was the one making the decision and he knew nothing about it. perhaps in future dealings i will go through priscilla. i always feel that hillary is so in awe of dr. rand that she won't approach him.
                        avis
                        Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
                        X