Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x-rays and photos

Hi all,
    Since I can't seem to be able to attach x-rays and photos to my signature, I am going to attach them to this thread as a temporary measure, until the powers that be allow me permission to attach them to my signature. I wanted folks to see what a fusion looks like that doesn't correct the scoliosis, but does correct for lordosis. Also I have photos of me rollerskating as an encouragement to those who wonder if they will be able to return to sports after scoliosis surgery. I'll be on vacation for the month of February, heading South out of the cold, so I probably won't be posting much, but I will be thinking and praying for those of you about to have surgery and for those in recovery. My best to everyone. Sally
    10 months post-op

10 months post-op saggital view

12-23-08, 12 months post-op

12-23-08, 12 months post-op
    Last edited by loves to skate; 01-25-2009, 02:05 PM.
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Sally
    Thx for posting your x-rays. Its neat to see the cages.
    Careful on those skates now!
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Sally,

You look terrific! It’s obvious that your skating athleticism is keeping you in great shape. Thanks for posting your pics. You did not have much of a curve in your spine. Makes me wonder how I was able to function all these years with the big curve I had. Even my surgeon remarked after reviewing my MRIs at my pre-op testing that he couldn’t understand how I was still able to walk.

Have fun on your vacation. Wish I could get out of this cold. I’m sick of it. Chris

Comment

Hi Ed,
        Yes, I will be careful on my skates - it isn't roller derby - no extreme sports for me.

Hi Chris,
        I thought my lumbar curve looked awful, not having any frame of reference to compare it with. I did lose 3 inches however, but it was probably my degenerative discs and arthritis that did me in.

Sally

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Roller derby! LOL Do they still do that? Im not a TV person.

Sallys spine above the lower area looks great. Those lower curves can really cause problems. It created extreme pain for me during my last few pre-surgery years.

Its funny when you have larger curves, the smaller 20 degree curves on some x-rays look pretty good to me. 20-30 degrees, Ill take that! LOL

Ed
          49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
          Pre surgery curves T70,L70
          ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
          Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
          http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

[QUOTE=loves to skate;70366]Hi all,
            Since I can't seem to be able to attach x-rays and photos to my signature, I am going to attach them to this thread as a temporary measure, until the powers that be allow me permission to attach them to my signature. I wanted folks to see what a fusion looks like that doesn't correct the scoliosis, but does correct for lordosis. Also I have photos of me rollerskating as an encouragement to those who wonder if they will be able to return to sports after scoliosis surgery. I'll be on vacation for the month of February, heading South out of the cold, so I probably won't be posting much, but I will be thinking and praying for those of you about to have surgery and for those in recovery. My best to everyone. Sally

You are in great shape and definitely an inspiration for those of us awaiting surgery and wondering if we will ever get back to our normal way of life. This is probably going to sound stupid but here it goes.......I look at everyone's ex-rays and god those screws just look so big! It seems they would poke out the other side of your spine. It's amazing they can fit it all in
            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

You look fabulous Sally! Just goes to show, we oldies should be able to return to the things we love, eventually. It gives me hope, anyway.

Kayaking is my love. I am going to miss it so much during those months. I actually got teary the other day when on the river. The scenery was so stunning...and I know I'm only going to see if a few more times, then...
              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Sally,

LOOK AT THOSE LEGS!!! You are cute as a button. I'm so glad that you are able to do what you love again. Me....you'd never get me on skates again for a million bucks!!

Thanks for sharing your pics.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Sally,

Thanks so much for the roller skating pics. That is way to cool. I haven't had the courage yet to mention to my Dr. that I would like to ride horses again. Saving it for my 4 month release to "return to normal activity" that were on my dismissal papers. I laugh and say he has no idea what I would like to call "normal". Time will tell but I have done very little of it the last 10 years anyway due to my back but it would be heaven (with a smooth, wonderful horse).
                  Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
                  Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
                  Age 54
                  T10 to Sacrum
                  Curve 65 degrees
                  Very straight now!!!

Comment

I wanted folks to see what a fusion looks like that doesn't correct the scoliosis, but does correct for lordosis.
                    Sally.

These pictures are great. I had scoliosis correction in 1986 where I got straightened a lot. By contrast, my revision done in 2008 (L3-S1), did not correct the scoliosis at all. It was more of a stabilization to help with the pain. It looks a lot like yours, but without the cages.

Thanks.

p

Comment

Thanks for all your responses and lovely comments.

titaniumed - Roller Derby is making a comeback but mostly on flat surfaces rather than on banked surfaces. I don't think it is broadcast on TV like it was back in the 1950's.

asccbodypro - those screws are pretty big - the better to stabilize the spine.

JenniferG - I did some kayaking in August at 8 months post-op, so I bet you will be kayaking next summer.

debbei - those legs have had a lot of physical therapy to get me back on my skates.

Nancy Joy - your Doctor may not let you ride at 4 months, but maybe by 9 months he will give you the go ahead. Lets hope!

pnuttro - I think I got the cages because I told my Doctor that I would like to be able to go back to roller skating. He said the cages will give me a much stronger fusion.

Take care, Sally

Comment

Wow! Fantastic, Sally!
                        You look great! I have yet to roller skate since surgery but hope to this spring as I go outside on a smooth pathway. I'm still a little nervous about the turns & all. Probably the hardest part will be putting the skates on!
                        Best to you-Lynne

fused T11-L5 Aug 2006/Boachie/Kim
                        @HSS in NYC ant/post
                        Orig. curve-95 reduced to 60
                        Kyphosis was 85

Comment

Working...
                        X