Ouestions about Life after brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ouestions about Life after brace

My daughter just got out of her brace. She had no progression in her curve during the year and nine months she wore it. School will be starting soon and she will be doing weight training and physical conditioning in PE. Does anyone know if there is anything she should be careful with and not do?

Physical Activity after the brace

Hi there:

I've had 2 scoliosis surgeries and my entire spine is now fused. Prior to my most recent surgery in 2003, I was able to participate in many activities such as high impact aerobics, weight lifting and toning, swimming, horseback riding, motorcycle riding only to name a few. At that time, my lumbar spine was the only fusion I had.

Your daughter will know instinctively what she is able to do and not do. I highly recommend getting her into a deep water swim aerobics class at your local Y.M.C.A. - I have found that there is virtually NO impact at all on the spine and the muscles of the entire body become incredibly strong very quickly. She will definately feel the difference in her improved mobility within a couple of sessions. Remember, if she has had surgery, there have been alot of muscles hastily cut - they don't heal over night and do require her to initiate activity to get them working properly again.

I highly recommend the swimming program over anything that requires jumping, running or impact related sports.

She will know what her limits are.
    "I won't think about it today, for tomorrow is another day..."

Comment

Hi Cindy,

I wore a brace for 4 years, from ages 12-16. I am 23 now and have relatively little trouble with my spine. When I was in high school and college, I was very active with track and cross country, but now I am in law school and rarely have time to work out. I spend most of my day sitting at a desk while reading, or lugging around a laptop and heavy books. I have begun to feel some stiffness and aching in my back as a result.

I would encourage you to encourage your daughter to be as active as possible now that she is out of her brace, and to continue that activity throughout her life. Personally, I wish I had spent more time improving my flexibility when I was younger. All the running has made my legs very tight, which puts added strain on my back. I agree that swimming is good, as is yoga and general stretching. (Plus, these exercises, with their wide range of motion, FEEL very good to someone who has been confined in a brace!)

I never had trouble with any activities in PE class in high school. It is important for everyone, not just scoliosis patients, to be careful during weight training. As long as there is an instructor there to teach proper form and monitor the kids, I think she should be fine.

Congrats to you and your daughter for making it through the bracing period!

Erin
      Last edited by Erin14; 10-21-2004, 01:32 PM.
      diagnosed age 12 (12 years ago)
      Boston brace age 12-16
      curves currently 35* and 27*

Comment

Kinetics

You might want to go to your local library and check out some books and videos on Kinetics - this is the process of strengthening muscles while you are doing your daily routine. This information was shared with my by one of our local judges - she found some videos that were ideal for muscle toning while sitting on the bench or pining over huge volumes of documents.

Also, get yourself a briefcase on wheels - these have a collapsable pull handle too, even though laptops are lighter, they still weight alot - as a person in the legal profession, you will be carrying huge briefs, binders and folders. I have found it to be a godsend for me - I worked in law and was a classroom instructor so I had a tonne of books, binders and documents to cart around with me all the time. I had two of them I used - one for my morning classes and one for my afternoon classes.
        "I won't think about it today, for tomorrow is another day..."

Comment

i wore a brace for 8 years..my doc gradually weaned me off of it. i agree with ms. scarlett.. your daughter will know her own limits! i would strongly recommend swimming as an exercise!! if her back can handle it, sit ups and pilate type exercises would really help the weakend back and abdominal muscles!
          8years in Boston Brace starting curve 22 degrees, ending around 30 anterior fusion in 2004, curve went from 48 degrees to 25 !!im in college and love to ride horses, swim, and bike!

Comment

Working...
          X