Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5 months after surgery

Hello,

My daughter just turned 14. She had a spinal fusion in July. Her surgery was a great success, almost complete correction of her curves. She recovered very quickly and started activities faster than I expected. She is having a lot of trouble with acne around her scar. She sees a dermatologist who thought it might be from the trama of surgery. I wondered if anyone experienced this problem after surgery. She seems a little down on herself. I'm sure it's a combination of things, but noticed several users complained about being tired and not interested in doing anything even 6 months after surgery. I assumed we were through everything, but now I wonder if she's still feeling the effects of surgery.

My son doesn't have acne around his scar. My first thought was that you could ask the surgeon if it could be an infection of some kind. Is she tired and lethargic like you mentioned reading about others? Anyway, I can't imagine that she'd be totally back to normal yet, less than 6 months after the surgery. Even though most kids bounce back with minimal pain within a few weeks of the surgery, they're still regaining strength and flexibility for at least several months, if not a couple of years. My son is still getting PT for postural issues almost 1.5 years post-op.

Good luck figuring it out. Maybe it's all just part of her normal healing process...
    Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
    Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
    Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

I agree with Laurie.

I would describe it as an asymptotic increase back towards normal that can take months. It can be fast at times but isn't complete for a while. And even when they are released from restrictions, they then have to contend with being out of shape.

In my daughter's case, she is still not allowed to participate in gym for another two months because she is out of shape and the surgeon worries that the gym teacher will require peak participation immediately.

sharon
      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Considering this post is quite a few days after you started the thread, you may have already have the answer to your questions, but...

Just thought I'd mention that I actually also have a lot of acne surrounding my scar. Not sure if it's related to anything, it could just be teenage hormones or whatnot, especially because I did get some acne on my back beforehand, so I don't necessarily think that it's something to worry too much about (unless it did turn out to be some kind of infection, hopefully not!).
        Nicole//18 years old, college sophomore//50 degree thoracolumbar curve//Posterior Spinal Fusion in 2008, Fused T5 to L3

Comment

My daughter is 4 1/2 years post op and still tires out easily. She comes home and naps after dance! I am 30+ years postop and I have always tired easily since my surgery. Remember your child is carrying a little extra weight from the rods and the fusion doesn't allow your body to mave the same way as it did before. So right now, it is relearning how to do everything like a toddler. It takes a few years to get back to 95% of your energy level.
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Right now, my fused daughter (almost nine months out) is normal stamina-wise or at least is not noticeably different from before surgery. After about 6 months, she seemed normal at least. The multi-year recovery I think is generally associated with adults, not kids as far as I know.

She is actually ahead in the stamina department of my unfused daughter who is having some breathing problems now. Not sure it's related to the rotation/curvature. She is starting to rotate and seems more curved than she was last month when she was measured at 40*.
            Last edited by Pooka1; 12-17-2008, 07:55 AM.
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

In regards to the acne, this may seem obvious, but is she washing her back? They're very sensitive around the scar and she may be afraid to wash it. I bought my daughter a very soft back sponge to use.

My daughter is one year post op and she's doing well now but at 6 months she definitely wasn't 100%. I believe the long fusion affected her recovery to some extent (greater loss of blood, more trauma, loss of mobility are things that come to my mind). The main thing is that everyone's recovery is different and as time goes by, you should see her feeling better emotionally and physically.

Comment

Thank you for all your responses. Everyone had a lot of good points. She seems to be doing okay. I might just be a bit of a worry wart. I have been encouraging her to sit down if she is tired. Her pain seem to be decreasing, except when she sneezes. Tears come to her eyes almost every time. She swears she can feel the equipment. I have been putting lotion on her back and it is slowly getting smoother.

It sure helps to hear a different point of view.

Comment

Working...
                X