Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Numbness still hasn't gone....

Hi Guys,

I haven't wrote on here for months. I am around 18 months post op and im still having trouble with my rib pains i did have anterior surgery as well as posterior but where my rib was taken out i feel stiff and swallon there still. Also i have patches on my upper stomach where its still numb but if i scratch it i get funny pains i also get weird pains around my stomach especially where the numbness is its like muscles pulling pains or nerve pains. Just wondering is this normal to still have these pains a 1 and a half on???

I'm over feeling tight on my right side especially in the mornings i have to breath slowly as my ribs hurt

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee
    Had surgery May 28th 2007 Anterior/Posterior getting fused from T3 - L3

http://curvedgirl.blogspot.com

Yes, I still have tightness and pulling, some numbness and mild itching in that area also. Gentle stretching helps, as well as a heating pad.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

LEELEE85,

Well not to discourage you in anyway but I had a 7 rib thoracoplasty done in 1999 and it took a few years to get well. 2006 was year that I felt normal from just about everything.

I am not surprised with what you are feeling. But just to be safe I would ask your dr about seeing a urologist that would be able to get you some meds that will help the nerves regrow.

Take care and hope this helps.
      Adrienne
      1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
      1993 Rod Removal
      1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
      2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
      Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
      Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Originally posted by augemac View Post
        I would ask your dr about seeing a urologist that would be able to get you some meds that will help the nerves regrow.
        I think augemac meant Neurologist. Are there really meds that will help the nerves regrow? I would like to know about them if there are.
        Sally
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Auge, I was actually cheered by your post because sometimes I feel like I'm one of the only people on the Forum who still has pain or discomfort (sometimes a lot) after a year and a half. The anterior incision and thorocoplasty has been a bear to recover from. Most days I push through it and am very active, but I do take Tylenol Arthritis and/or Advil every day. I also stretch and do my PT exercises, etc., etc.....you know the drill.

Also -- I can't believe how affected I am by the weather. I felt WAY better over the summer. I believe there's a move to a warm climate sometime in my future.
          Chris

Comment

curious people with pain on there sides, do you guys smoke?

I only ask because my doc stressed if I smoke he wouldn't do the surgery. idk if it had to do wit recovery or wateva.

Comment

Originally posted by loves to skate View Post
              I think augemac meant Neurologist. Are there really meds that will help the nerves regrow? I would like to know about them if there are.
              Sally
              Thank you Sally I didn't even catch it but yes I meant Neurologist. That made me laugh at my own mistake. But I am thinking of a different medicine. I wasn't sure of the use but I do remember being on it from my neurologist Dr. and it was called neurontin. Now I looked it up and it helps with nerve pain. Well that helped me out.

I guess scientist are just beginning science on nerve regrowth but nothing yet and that was my mistake. Sorry

Arizo,
              I don't smoke and haven't ever smoked. It is just a hard recovery to do. Weather is real rough though. I would constantly wear gloves on my right hand all day even in the house or at night to keep it warm. Any bit of cold or drop in temperature and I would regret it.
              Adrienne
              1991 T4 - T12 Fusion
              1993 Rod Removal
              1999 T4-L4 Fusion (7 rib thoracoplasty)
              2002 Rod Removal 58;49 degrees
              Denver, CO; Dr. John Odom
              Rocky Mtn. Spine Center

Comment

Arizo...

It's doubtful that any of the pain described above has anything to do with smoking.

Most surgeons will not perform spinal fusion surgery on anyone who smokes, because smoking is known to inhibit fusion.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

No smoking here!! In fact, in terms of ideal weight, walking every day, eating healthy, etc.....I've never been in better shape in my life.
                  Chris

Comment

Hi Lee,

I can't comment on the pain but I can on the numbness. I am 2yr 8 mo post-op and the numbness is still with me. I have gotten use to it. I have a slight feeling, if I run my nails over the numb skin, that is a tingly sensation.
                    Best wishes.

Comment

Working...
                    X