Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis Support Group

Hello Everyone!

I will be a Junior in college this Fall. I have scoliosis and wore a back brace for 6 years. I have decided to start a support group in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I am hoping to hold the first meeting in late September. I really want to create a place where people of all ages can gather who all have one thing in common: Scoliosis. The first meeting will be very informal, basically a 'meet and greet' where we can talk about what each person wants to get out of the support group. Eventually I plan on having guest speakers and more structured and planned events. If anyone is in that area or knows of someone on the East side of Michigan that would benefit from a Scoliosis support group, please let me know. Sending me a personal message is great too! Even if you are too far away from Michigan, I would still love to hear your comments on what you would hope to get out of a support group, and any ideas you have for me. Thanks!

Hi! That sounds like quite an undertaking, but a good idea! Best of luck with setting it up-- and with your college studies also. I don't live near there and there are no support groups nearby, so I don't really have any suggestions for you: Maybe some others will. ) Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I think it's a fantastic idea!!! I wish we were a wee bit closer!
      Becky
      Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
      Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Originally posted by ScolioSupport View Post
        Hello Everyone!

I will be a Junior in college this Fall. I have scoliosis and wore a back brace for 6 years. I have decided to start a support group in Ann Arbor, Michigan. I am hoping to hold the first meeting in late September. I really want to create a place where people of all ages can gather who all have one thing in common: Scoliosis. The first meeting will be very informal, basically a 'meet and greet' where we can talk about what each person wants to get out of the support group. Eventually I plan on having guest speakers and more structured and planned events. If anyone is in that area or knows of someone on the East side of Michigan that would benefit from a Scoliosis support group, please let me know. Sending me a personal message is great too! Even if you are too far away from Michigan, I would still love to hear your comments on what you would hope to get out of a support group, and any ideas you have for me. Thanks!
        Please visit. www. sosort.org. Next international meeting for this Scolosis Organization is in France.

Comment

Hi ScolioSupport,

I just want to commend you on this effort!! It's SO important for folks not to feel alone. Just the other day, someone asked if I knew of a support group in their state - and I gave them the closest group I knew of to them. But it would be great if there were more support groups.

I hear from lots of families - and rest assured that if I ever talk to anyone in your neck of the woods I will pass along your information.

If you like, send me an e-mail with your contact info and/or that of the group and I'll keep it handy.

GOOD LUCK!!!
          mariaf305@yahoo.com
          Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
          Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

have fun and good luck with this! i will be praying for you and the success of the group!
            Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
            I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
            My curves were 30 and 31
            I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
            I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
            I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
            I want to meet some new people on this forum!
            Don't be shy...
            Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Thank You

I just wanted to say thanks for everyone's comments! I am still in the planning process but hope to hold my first support group meeting at the end of September. I will keep everyone posted on the specifics but in the mean time, if you are interested, please let me know!

Thanks!

Comment

First Scoliosis Support Group meeting

Hi Everyone!

I wanted to let you know that I will be holding my first scoliosis support group meeting in Ann Arbor, Michigan at the beginning of November. Please let me know if you are interested in attending and I will send you more specific information. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                X