3-6 month restrictions after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3-6 month restrictions after surgery

Anyone know what the typical restrictions are in the 3-6 month period?

I know 3 months is really restricted. It sounds like after 3 months, some restrictions are lifted but still restricted.

Looking at the timeline -- DD is estimated surgery in Feb., that would put 3 months at May, so she would be in the 3-6 month range during the summer. If all goes well of course with no complications.

Wondering what is possible & what is out. I'm thinking about summer camp (probably more toward the end of summer) -- not your typical stuff. I know one will be a Music camp & I'm fairly confident they could work around some restrictions depending on exactly what they are. There are a couple other things I'm looking at too. Obviously, roller coasters are OUT next summer.
    Becky
    Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
    Had her surgery March 9, 2009

DD's mom

Hi Becky,
    I haven't been on in a while and am getting ready for a scoli check for my daughter. She is 14. like your daughter and I too am afraid surgery is in the cards. She was fitted for a Boston brace last summer, wore it faithfully for several months, curve reduced, and then she decided to quit wearing it.
    I took her in early fro her 6 month check-up and sure enough, the correction tht started was gone. The doctor had "the talk" with her and it pretty much feel on deaf ears.
    I have no idea how bad the curve is now but, her body looks looks like her top half is sitting off to the side of her bottom half. Does that make sense?
    She was riding a horse Sunday and I thought she was going to fall off because she leans so much.
    Anyway...after a long story (wanted to give you some background) what's next? How can you ever prepare for the surgery? I think I am probably were you were a few months ago.
    May be jumping the gun but, my gut feeling tells me I'm not.
    Rebecca
    Mom of Spencer - 14

Comment

My daughter had fusion T2-T11 almost 1 year ago. At 3 months, she was allowed light swimming (along with walking), a little more lifting (can't remember lbs--maybe up to 6??), and that was about it. At 6 months, pretty much all restrictions (including roller coasters) were lifted except contact sports, gymnastics (tumbling), and marching band. At last appt (2 weeks ago), she can pretty much do anything, although she was cautioned about tumbling and football type sports (and trampoline).

If the music camp is for a marching band, it may be too much for her. My gut feeling is that any camp away from home between 3-6 months is a little much, but, it all depends on your daughter. I'm probably overprotective, too I hope all goes well with everything.

Comment

Originally posted by emma12 View Post
        My daughter had fusion T2-T11 almost 1 year ago. At 3 months, she was allowed light swimming (along with walking), a little more lifting (can't remember lbs--maybe up to 6??), and that was about it. At 6 months, pretty much all restrictions (including roller coasters) were lifted except contact sports, gymnastics (tumbling), and marching band. At last appt (2 weeks ago), she can pretty much do anything, although she was cautioned about tumbling and football type sports (and trampoline).

If the music camp is for a marching band, it may be too much for her. My gut feeling is that any camp away from home between 3-6 months is a little much, but, it all depends on your daughter. I'm probably overprotective, too I hope all goes well with everything.
        The music camp is for choir. It's just singing. This year it was after the fourth of July. I won't know next year's timeframe until January. They really don't do a whole lot of anything strenous there (at least it didn't seem like it this year). The dorms they stayed in were across the street from the auditorium they performed in, etc... Just a bit of walking. Just basing on a Feb. surgery, May will be 3 months, so closer to 5 months.

Unfortunately, she's a Soprano and you pretty much have to apply Jan. 1 or you will get shut out. I guess I can just take a hit on the the fee if I have to (although I think if you have a medical excuse, you can get a refund). I'm not 100% sure as this was her first year going.
        Becky

Comment

Originally posted by Horsey Mom View Post
          Hi Becky,
          Anyway...after a long story (wanted to give you some background) what's next? How can you ever prepare for the surgery? I think I am probably were you were a few months ago.
          May be jumping the gun but, my gut feeling tells me I'm not.
          Rebecca
          Mom of Spencer - 14
          I'm sorry it's coming down to this for you too. It is tough. In our case
          DD did attempt to wear the brace faithfully. She was allowed to take it off for her gymnastics/cheerleading stuff and I let her not wear it during the day for camps (but she slept in it). I know she worked really hard.

I had a hunch we were headed down the surgery road between the doctor's comments the prior check with "it really is a LARGE curve" with his emphasis on large, and her brace was not seeming to fit properly toward the end. The velcro kept popping open. Now, it could be possible that the velcro was going bad (every time we went for an appointment they put new straps on for us) but it wasn't just that. I could FEEL a difference when I would go to tighten it. As you say, a gut feeling.

I'm not really sure HOW you prepare yourself...I'm a planner. In our case, the first doctor we saw basically wanted to do surgery right away, so we have had a few years to realize this is probably coming. I've done as much reading as I can to the point of I know as much as possible until actually having to face it. Also realizing there is only so much of it in my control (it doesn't help that I'm a person who likes to be in control -- I think that's where research, overthinking things at times comes in). I do what I can that is in my control and basically have to leave the rest up to the doctor and faith. I really won't have a clue if I'm prepared or not until we are there.

Being on the forums helps and reading others BTDT stories really helps. I don't remember where I was but I did a search and one teen did a chronicle of her surgery, there were pictures of before going & recovery... I know that helped my DD tremendously. She saw the size of the tubes they put in and she was relieved. She had been picturing these garden hose sized things when reading about different tubes she would have put in.

We haven't really gone through anything showing us exactly what all they will be using, etc... Basically they told us this is the road we are headed down, next appointment in Dec. & did we have any questions. Next thing I knew I was filling out a bunch of paperwork. I'm pretty sure they will go over everything more completely in December, as we are supposed to bring our list of questions then, etc... I know at some point we are to get a complete tour of the hospital.
          Becky

Comment

I'm only 7 weeks post op and leave for vacation tomorrow....but my doctor told me I'm allowed to swim in the ocean and pool!

I definitly will NOT be in the rough part of the ocean where the waves break on you though. And I probably won't have the upper arm strength to swim in the deepend.
            17 years old - Female - Canada
            Had fusion surgery June 26th, 2008
            Feel free to ask me ANY questions about my experience!

Comment

3-6 month restrictions after surgery

Becky,
              We just returned from Spencer's appointment and my gut feeling was correct. Her curve went from 42 down to 36 and rebounded to 50+. We are in the first step of surgery. We received the paperwork to submit to Shriners in Portland. VBS is out because of the size of the curve.
              Like you I am a planner and like to be in control. The doctors office told us to be aggresive and not wait. I'm hoping for a beginning of December so she won't be out of school too long.
              From what I have read, horseback riding will be out maybe permanently because of the impact.
              I am so thakful for this website and forum. I hate that being alone feeling and we're all in this together. Nice to have someone to lean on.
              Let's stay in touch and compare the girls and our journey.
              Rebecca

Comment

Originally posted by Horsey Mom View Post
                From what I have read, horseback riding will be out maybe permanently because of the impact.
                You should ask your surgeon (when you decide on one) about riding.

Our surgeon said my daughter can ride when she comes off restrictions at 8 months.

In dressage, she would have some advantage I think with a fused spine in terms of correct posture and therefore an effective seat. She and her twin were both taking jumping and flat lessons.

I don't know if she wants to resume riding lessons as she quit before she was diagnosed with scoliosis. But at least she can resume it if she likes later in life. If she did resume lessons, I would ask her to wear a hard-shell riding vest that the eventers wear on cross country just to be safer in case she fell.

Good luck.

sharon
                Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                X