2 years out.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 years out.....

Well, I will soon go for my 2 yr check up(7/28) and I keep my fingers crossed that all is the same. The bottom curve is now fused at 60 degrees & I hope it still the same! I feel great but still nervous about this upcoming appmt
    I am concerned that my left hip seems more out to me and sometimes at night I look more crooked when I'm tired. I'm wondering if there can be a small change in degrees as the muscles change, adapt, etc...???

fused T11-L5
    Aug 2006-Boachie/Kim @ HSS
    Last edited by lelc2002@yahoo; 07-16-2008, 07:17 AM.

Congratulations Lynne, on your two-year anniversary! That is a momentous accomplishment-- and you have provided such support on the forum! Thank you!

I TOTALLY understand your anxious thoughts... I think it's just something we have to live with, right? Those little nagging "wonderings" about aches or pains or pops that occur. Fatigue by the end of the day. Wondering if that spells t-r-o-u-b-l-e again... Hopefully your concerns will be put to rest when you have your check-up. At least until the next check-up time. Since you feel great, I would consider that to be pretty positive, so try not to be too anxious. Ha! I know how easy that sounds, and hard to do... but the old axiom of not crossing the bridge before you get to it applies here. But really-- I imagine most people start looking a little more crooked when they are tired, not just us scoli surgery survivors. You are in great hands, so just go with that. Are you planning anything fun when you go to NYC? Or maybe you already live there-- I don't remember where you live! Let us know how it goes-- probably just great! Hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by lelc2002@yahoo
      Well, I will soon go for my 2 yr check up(7/28) and I keep my fingers crossed that all is the same. The bottom curve is now fused at 60 degrees & I hope it still the same! I feel great but still nervous about this upcoming appmt
      I am concerned that my left hip seems more out to me and sometimes at night I look more crooked when I'm tired. I'm wondering if there can be a small change in degrees as the muscles change, adapt, etc...???
      I'm not sure if it can change the way they do it these days. I changed after surgery, but not much at all, but my surgery was close to 25 years ago, so the process was different then. (my xrays are below)

Curving over when your tired happens to me too. Its your body wanting to return to 'normal' as it knows it. When I am really tired I can feel my body start to curve over to the left and I have to consiously straighten myself up. That is nothing to be alarmed about.

Remember to keep doing the exercises they want you to do, that will help keep those muscles strong.

Brad
      Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
      Still have 57 degree curve
      2 Harrington rods
      Luque method used
      Dr David Bradford
      Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
      Preop xray (with brace on)
      Postop xray

Comment

Lynne,

Congratulations on the anniversary. You have been through a lot and have been a huge help to those planning surgery (you are one of the Dr. B. patients who suggested I consult with him, for which I am very thankful).

I know it's difficult but please try to relax and enjoy the fruits of your gardening before summer is gone. Whatever the condition of your back is now, it is so much better than before surgery, isn't it?

I'm seeing Dr. B on Sept. 15, for my 1st post-op visit (at 8.5 months) - too bad we didn't coordinate our appointments!

Please let us know the results.

Best,
        Janet
        As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Congrats on 2 years Lynn!!! You have always been such an inspiration and help to me on this forum. I hope all goes well with your appointment. Keep us updated!

Best,
          Anya
          "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
          Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
          19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Wow already!

I can't believe two years. My goodness. I'm so glad you are doing well and not to worry about the appointment. I just saw Dr. Boachie on July 3rd, he's the best. (Looks like I'll be heading into the OR as well.............but that will be another post). Take care and as Janet said relax and enjoy! Take care and make sure to post after you see him.
            LYNN
            1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
            2000 Partial Rod Removal
            2001 Right Scapular Resection
            12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
            06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Thks all,
              My mom & I were together yesterday & she looked me over. She feels I have not changed except my tummy (the left side) is up much more than the right. It is right over the scar area... just scar tissue? It is kind of strange & I will ask about it when I go in to my appointment. As far as the hips, there is a bit of a difference but perhaps since I gained some wt, its more pronounced. I'm just so paranoid about my back since this surgery....!
              I mentioned both to my P.T. He thinks the tummy is scar tissue & not much I can do since I cannot twist. He did give me a few more leg exercises to try & help... As far as the hip thing, he showed me how to push out my right hip more which straightens me up...
              Hey, I'm pushing 50 & the body's getting older plus I still have a 60/60 curve. So they did what they could for me-right??....ahhh!
              Ly

Comment

Congratulations on your upcoming 2 yr. anniversary, sure have enjoyed chatting w/you over the years. I will be thinking about you on the 28th. I understand your concerns, but I really think you'll be fine. It takes time for the body to adjust. Keep us posted on your appt. Looking forward to hearing some good news

Renee

Comment

I know you'll be just fine Lynne. I can't wait to hear your report!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Working...
                  X