Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Final Post

Hi folks,

I’ve been asked to leave the forum so this is my final post. I seriously want to apologize to anyone I may have offended while I have posted here. Pam, I’m sorry for my recent post targeting you and further adding fuel to the fire of what has been a string of nasty posts. I think hormones and pain have gone amok. But I want to make one thing perfectly clear. First, I have never used this forum to gossip about another member or smear anyone here through the PM system. No one could ever prove that I have. Second, I have never made up any comments relayed to me by a doctor. Everything I have stated is factual. The doctor (whose name I was demanded to release) said what he said, and I remember leaving his office wondering why anyone would consent to such an awful and risky surgery. In hindsight, what I encountered was a seriously distressed surgeon who experienced his first paralysis victim in what was a long and successful career. I thank those who have pointed out my negativity. I take that as constructive criticism and something I seriously need to work on. I’ve fought depression all my life, and people with this illness tend to look at the glass half empty rather than half full.

Seriously, this forum was a real God send to me when I stumbled upon it almost three years ago. At the time, I felt the collapse of my spine and didn’t know where to turn. God steered me here where I found answers. Linda, I want to thank you for your recommendation of Dr. Gupta when I asked you for any suggestions. I was at the University of Chicago Medical Center all day yesterday having my pre-op work done and then met with Dr. Gupta. He is a wonderful surgeon with such an engaging personality. What a calming spirit he has and just his presence helped to allay my fears. I must share something with you. When it became clear to me that surgery was inevitable, I prayed and asked God to then lead me to the doctor who can best treat me. After seeing Dr. Bridwell, I was convinced he was the one. But then something happened. The very day I returned from St. Louis I received a call from Dr. Gupta’s office. It was his nurse Maria asking me how I’m doing. I met with Dr. Gupta three months earlier. Maria suggested I return to have bending film taken. After I got off the phone, I asked myself if God could be telling me something here. The following month I returned to Dr. Gupta’s office for the bending film. While seated in the waiting area, I prayed and asked for a certain sign before I left the place to let me know if this was the doctor God was leading me to. Well by golly that sign was given to me shortly after I exited the building. God did indeed answer my prayer by telling me there was no need to go to St. Louis for surgery when there’s a great surgeon right here in Chicago who can treat me. All tests are completed now except for a CT-myelogram next week and then it’s surgery on June 23.

I want to wish all of you who have surgeries around the corner all the best for a safe and successful outcome and I will keep you all in my prayers because I DO BELIEVE in the power of prayer. And lastly, I want to thank Karen Ocker who has been a constant source of encouragement and inspiration to all of us.

Sincerely,

Chris

P.S. to Marie. Yours was the last post I read and what an eye-opener it was for me. If anyone has a right to feel bitter and angry and sorry for herself, it is you. But instead, what came across in your post is an attitude of gratitude. I thank you tremendously.

Good luck in your surgery, Chris.

I can't imagine facing this surgery with depression.

I hope you come back and report on your recovery.

Best regards,
    sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I agree with the post that this is not a forum for religion, there are alot of them on the internet. As a mother looking for information on scoliosis I do not feel that this is the place for personal attacks or preaching. We are all in the same boat and need to support each other. I am a firm believer in the power of god as our family has been through some very rough times over the last few years but I do believe that our strength comes from within ourselves and the positive attitudes around us(non of this crap is positive or helps anyone in anyway). I don't think depression is a excuse for rude and unacceptable behavior. There has also been comments that people who have had surgery years ago should move on and I strongly disagree, if it was not for these people we would be missing out on the very purpose of this forum, to educate and support. Based on the post I have read I think most of what Chris has posted in non-productive and should be ignored. This is the first and last time I will comment on this issue. Chris I wish you the best of luck and hope you get the help you need to deal with your issues. Lets get back to why we are here.
      Catherine
      Mom of 14 year old Danielle
      T45 degree curve Feb 2008
      T47 degree curve May 2008
      T50 degree curve Sept 2008
      Surgery Nov 24th 2008
      Ontario, Canada

Comment

Chris, I know you're doing the right thing by having this surgery. I send you all best wishes for a successful surgery and a speedy, uncomplicated recovery.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi

Who asked you to leave? I have been severly busy and no time to read much. I ask you tooooo stay! Bet other folks will to.
          I send my best,
          Chris

Comment

I hope anyone who has scoliosis, or any parent of a kid with scoliosis, stays.

sharon

"I wouldn't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member." -- Groucho Marx
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Chris,

I want to also extend my best wishes to you for a successful surgery and recovery. This forum was so invaluable to me in the months, then weeks, then days leading up to my surgery; I am sorry that you will not have the benefit of that.

But, I truly believe that you need to surround yourself with everything positive before this huge process, and I understand why this may not be the place for you right now.

I also hope that you will make a post to let us know how you are doing post-surgery.

Truly wishing you the very best,
              geo
              31 year old female
              55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
              T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
              Xray, 3 mos. post-op
              Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Chris-I wish you all the best for a successful surgery and recovery.
                I have not followed much of the forum lately but sure wish you would stay. This forum really helped me immensely thru this surgery. Nobody understood my fears of this surgery except here....Ly

Comment

Chris,

I would like to also add my best wishes for a successful surgery and speedy recovery. When I first joined this forum several months ago, you were one of the first to respond to my posts and to make me feel welcome. I thank you for that. All the best to you.

Connie
                  57 yr. old female

50 degree and 73 degree curves
                  90 degree rotation

Comment

Dear Chris,

I wish you the very best for your upcoming surgery and would like to hear how you do. I am sure you will have a wonderful outcome, correction and will be very pleased with the results.
                    Everyone on this forum is hurting or is dealing with the physical or psychological trauma of having scoliosis or that of their children. It is a life long problem even with correction and has to be dealt with on some level. Anyone with these issues belongs on this forum to share information and gain support from others who understand the issues and problems involved. The correction of this condition is gruelling and difficult even when caught early, and it is rare enough that often there are few people in families or the community who can give the support that you get on this forum. These issues include the physical, psychological and social. Without the forum, people are isolated, and are left to deal with these tough issues alone which can lead to ineffective solutions. On a forum like this, people will naturally disagree from time to time. This should be done respectfully and differences should be resolved constructively without the need to chase anyone off the forum.
                    I ask you to stay, Chris, and am very sorry that some discussions got so negative. Things can always be turned around and constructive solutions found recognizing people's rights to respectfully disagree. I know you have travelled a very long road to reach your decision to have this surgery, and I would hate to see you abandoned at your hour of need. However, as someone said, you do need positive support at this time not more trauma. I wish you well and hope to continue to hear from you. Rita
                    Last edited by Wishing; 06-06-2008, 07:11 AM. Reason: add name

Comment

Amen to that!

Chris-- Wishing just said what I am thinking too. (How'd she know my mind????!) My thoughts and prayers are with you, and I hope that we can continue corresponding. I'll write you more later-- have to run now. Hugs, Susie
                      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Chris,

I hope you stay on the forum because, as so many others have said, it is an amazing resource for both before and after surgery.

I agree with Wishing that this disease can be traumatic, both physically and psychologically. When I was in rehab immediately following discharge from the surgery hospital, I was visited by a very kind psychiatrist. He explained that spine surgery patients are very likely to suffer depression and that it is routine at that rehab hospital for psychiatric observation to be ordered in those cases. Also, when I was later hospitalized for my stomach surgery, it was noted in my chart that I was visited by a psychiatrist (I don't remember this at all) and that I was depressed. Duh ... who wouldn't be ????

My point is that feeling depressed about having this disease, both before and after surgery, is not uncommon. Please continue to share in the discussions here if that gives you comfort.

Best wishes for a very successful surgery and an easy recovery. Please keep us informed.

Janet
                        As of 12/25/07, age 62, 100* thoracic kyphosis, 73* L1-S1 lordosis, 37*/25* compensatory S-curve scoliosis. On 12/26/07, Dr. Boachie @ HSS NYC did 11 hours ant. & post. procedures, fused T2-L2, kyphosis now 57*, scoli 10*. Regained 2 1/4 inches in height!! Improving every day.

Comment

Chris,
                          I'll be praying for you- I know God will bless your faith in prayer (hope I'm not stepping on anyone's toes)- you seem to have a peace about your surgery and your surgeon and I know where that comes from. We'll all be thinking of you! God Bless-
                          Cathie

Comment

Hi Chris,
                            I don't know you very well since I am fairly new to the forum but I agree with "wishing" and would urge you to stay. None of us are perfect and I would hope that everyone would be willing to forgive and forget whatever and whoever said what to whom. Life is a journey and we all have lessons to learn. Just because we have a fight with someone doesn't mean we have to take our marbles and go home, so please stay with us. When is your surgery because I want to pray for you? Sally
                            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

All the best

Dear Chris,

You seem to be going to the surgery with the right attitude. Every case is so unique, the needs are all so different and unique also. I wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.
                              My thoughts and prayers are with you. I'll mark the 23rd and send a prayer.
                              I would like to hear from you after the surgery.

Marie

Comment

Working...
                              X