Time to make a decision

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to make a decision

I need some feedback please. I have idiopathic scoliosis, 50 degrees and seems to have been stable for the last 2 years. I'm also over 50 and my doctor who is Dr Shelokov in Plano, Tx says I need to start thinking along the lines of surgery. The pain can be extreme most days. I like this doctor but I have not gotten a second opinion nor have I ever had surgery before. He did not say I'd be in a wheelchair or anything like that, I think he's mainly concerned about my quality of life in my golden years. My question is, should I get a second opinion, he also says I'll be back at work 6 weeks post op. I like him alot and feel he is being honest with me. It does take alot to get his attention sometimes and I understand he is a busy man. I did drive 3 hours to see him (one way) so the trip after surgery will not be a picnic I'm sure. I do have a good support system so that will be a good thing. Feedback is welcome and very much appreciated!

Hello and welcome,

I strongly believe in second opinions for a surgery of this magnitude. I’m guessing that surgery has been brought up because of the extreme pain you are in even though your curve is stable. Another surgeon may suggest first trying conservative treatments to address your pain before resorting to surgery. Surgery should always be the last resort. I don’t know what surgical treatment Dr. Shelekov has proposed for you, but I think it’s premature to tell a patient that they will be able to return to work in six weeks, and especially since you are over 50. I’ve yet to read here about anyone over 50 returning to work in that timeframe following this surgery.

Good luck to you.

Comment

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply. That was what I wanted to know if anyone had ever returned to work in 6 weeks. I think I've read almost every post on here and could not find one that had returned to work that soon. Especially since I work part time in a warehouse, lifting, loading, etc and the rest of the time I'm behind a desk. He said I could resume my job on light duty. I was still not sure how this could be. I think a second opinion is in order and hope someone on here could recommend their doctor in the Dallas/Ft Worth area. I know there are alot of doctors in this area but I personally like getting a recommendation from people who have actually used one of these doctors. I believe he's recommending it due to the pain. He has also suggested I do more research before commiting to the surgery so I'm glad for that. I think he senses the fear I'm having. Have you been through the surgery? Thanks again for the response because I feel like I'm in over my head and tend to feel alone in my journey.

Comment

pfla.......read your post and sorry for your pain and the decision you have to make.....but....maybe the pain you are having is from the lifting you are doing at work. Is there anyway they could have you work in another area where you would not be required to lift things?

The Schroth practitioner my daughter sees told us she should NOT lift anything heavy, and she should not do anything that could compress the spine, as this will make scoliosis worse. She told her to not even carry a heavy pocketbook.......

So, maybe if you stopped the lifting, your pain would go away...........

Comment

pfla ...

I also had surgery on a stable ±50° curve due to pain (with fantastic results).

Which direction are you coming from to DFW? Is Houston an option?

Regards,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

I agree with Nim. Lifting heavy objects or standing were what caused my pain pre-op. Perhaps if you could be relieved of those duties for a couple of months, you might have a big improvement in pain levels? Apart from that, it was after age 50 that my stable scoliosis began to progress, which seems to be a fairly common scenario.

I could not have returned to work at 6 weeks post-op. I was still on drugs and unable to drive.

Good luck with your decision pfla.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

pfla... I'm guessing that most surgeons will tell you that, since you lift heavy objects, you need to be out of work for at least 6 months, and possibly a year. You're going to probably have to get involved with the SS disability folks.

--Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Is pfla still around this forum? Her last reply to this thread was May, 2008.
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
                  Is pfla still around this forum? Her last reply to this thread was May, 2008.
                  I wondered why she was talking about her surgeon, as he's been deceased for 6 months-ish.
                  Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                  ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                  Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Working...
                  X