Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird question concerning teeth?

Happy Memorial Day!
    I am almost four months post-op. I am noticing a changed realignment of my teeth. My bottom ones come right up against my top. Has anyone else noticed this after surgery? Just seems weird, but maybe not. Considering so much else has changed. Thanks, in advance, for any answers.
    CSC
    Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
    S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

loves to skate

Hi CSC,
    I don't see anyone posting an answer to your concern about your teeth. I haven't noticed anything about my teeth, but my fingernails are acting very strange. They are lifting up from the nailbeds, so I have to keep them very short. I guess our bodies can do very strange things after the trauma of surgery. I wonder if the intubation during your surgery has anything to do with your teeth changing alignment. Maybe that is a question for your Dr. or a dentist since you aren't getting any feedback from this forum. Hopefully the shift in alignment will not necessitate orthodonture (sp?)
    Take care, Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Sally,
      Thanks for the answer. I have a dentist appointment coming up, so I'll ask.
      CSC
      Idiopathic Scoliosis; Wore a Milwaukee brace; Told by physician it would not progress
      S curve; Surgery date: January 29, 2008!!

Comment

CSC--I did'nt notice any difference in alignment of my teeth but I had several broken molars happen at month 3(post-op) to 6mos. Granted, this is probably hormonal & heriditary but it was weird that several molars broke within a few months after surgery.
        I'm sure I grinded them like hell prior to surgery(worrying) plus I heard the percoset can cause some breakage. Could it be from the tube in our mouths affecting alignment?
        Ly
        fused T11-L-5 @HSS aug2006

Comment

Teeth and intubation

I just asked my son (who just graduated from paramedic school) about intubation and tooth breakage. He said that "back in the day" when metal blades were used to open the jaw up to expose the vocal cords, many anesthesiologists were sued for the loss of patients front teeth. In fact it happened often enough they now use plastic blades, and so the risk to the front teeth is greatly reduced.

When he was in hospital training (to intubate), the anesthesiologist specifically warned him to be very, very careful to avoid damage to the front teeth, for if it happened, it came directly out of his (the doctors) pocket. He also said that they are SO careful, that it rarely, if ever happens.

He also said damage to molars simply couldn't happen, the only risk was to the front teeth.

I insisted he become a paramedic before my recovery ...JUST KIDDING! But it may come in handy.....
          Susan
          XLIF/Posterior Surgery 6/16/08. Fused T10-L5 in CA by Dr. Michael Kropf (don't go there unless it's simple, I hear he's at Cedar's now). Very deformed, had revision w/5 PSO's, rods from T-3 to sacrum including iliac screws, all posterior, 5/23/16 with Dr. Purnendu Gupta of Chicago.

Owner of Chachi the Chihuahua, So Cal born and bred, now a resident of 'Chicagoland' Illinois. Uh, dislike it here....thank God there was ONE excellent spine surgeon in this area.

Comment

CSC-- I didn't have any changes with my teeth... I'll bet you didn't get much response because others haven't either, so don't really have anything to say. That is interesting about Sally's nails also. Anyway, I did not have tooth (or nail) changes post-op. There is so much that our bodies go through with this surgery, that I wouldn't rule out it being the cause of most anything! Hope you find out what's going on-- and if you do, please share. Take care!
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

hey all.. old post here, but i'm having this issue, along with tooth erosion. i'm 6 mo post op, and my teeth have eroded a huge amount. idk whether the surgery has irritated something and made my acid reflux worse (had an anterior/posterier fusion), or maybe something to do with the fusion where calcium is being drained from my teeth. whatever the case, it is MAJOR. going to have some work done this week at the dentist, but they've gotten even worse in the last 3 weeks. there are actually gaps in the front 8 teeth on the top and bottom, where pre surg i had a hard time fitting floss in there.. i just recently, within the last 2 weeks, have the same thing going on as csc here. when i close my teeth, one of the bottom front ones is touching the back of one of my top front ones. i have a little bit of an overbite, but the overbite is actually becoming less of an overbite and moving more centered (if that makes sense). my lower jaw is moving forward, therefore fixing my overbite, but causing this issue because my teeth are shaped for my overbite. it's getting worse every day and more and more erosion is still occuring. i'm very stressed about it. at this rate i'll need full restoration in a year or two.

anyone else ever heard of both of these going on post fusion??
              Age 25 male
              Upstate NY
              T3-L3 fusion for 80's degrees kyphosis
              Anterior 9/21/10 & posterior 9/28/10
              Post op degrees soon to come

Comment

That sounds awful. Please let us know what the Dentist has to say. It could be acid reflux. I know you can have that at night and not even know it. Good luck.
                Sally
                Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

most likely is acid reflux but jeez, it's very bad. doesn't seem like there's that much acid getting up there, especially since i've gotten back to eating correct 2 months ago, and teeth are still deteriorating week by week. i've had acid reflux (not gerd, but lpr, the throat kind, silent reflux) since being on accutane 7-8 yrs ago, but i only get it when eating too many carbs, breads, pretty much most gluten items. fairly certain i have a gluten intolerance with the years of experimenting i have done but we won't go there haha.. anyone else have any words about this? the tooth erosion as well as jaw re-alignment post fusion?
                  Age 25 male
                  Upstate NY

Comment

Total speculation here, but could the jaw realignment have something to do with having a high fusion to fix kyphosis? I'm thinking it could be shifting the vertebrae in your neck in a way that somehow impacts your jaw? That would not explain the erosion, of course. Best wishes getting answers and keep us posted.

Thanks,
                    Evelyn
                    age 48
                    80* thoracolumbar; 40* thoracic
                    Reduced to ~16* thoracolumbar; ~0* thoracic
                    Surgery 3/14/12 with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis, T4 to S1 with pelvic fixation
                    Broken rods 12/1/19; scheduled for revision fusion L1-L3-4 with Dr. Lenke 2/4/2020
                    Not "confused" anymore, but don't know how to change my username.

Comment

yeah that is most likely what is going on with the alignment, as i'm fused up to T3 for kyphosis. wierd though that i'm over 6 months post op, and the alignment issue just started a week or 2 ago.. the erosion has been going on pretty much the whole 6 months, slowly, but FAST for eroding this much in 6 months. the before and after or the erosion is a huge..seeing my dentist wednesday
                      Age 25 male
                      Upstate NY

Comment

Working...
                      X