Another X-ray issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another X-ray issue

My 11 year old daughter had another X-ray today,and once again problems. She started to take the X-ray with her shoes on and no shield of any kind. I questioned both,so the shoes came off and she rigged something up to protect her upper parts. The Doctor ordered the X-ray to be taken with her her front facing the board,but the machine board is right at the level of her chin so it was making her more crooked,so she turned her around. She promised by next time she would have a proper shield. I'm sure she wasn't shielded the first time.
    The curves still looked mild to me,but the tech said she's curved and twisted at the bottom,so i am really worried and looking forward to her appointment that's coming up. She complains of pain every day
    Does anyone else have to always tell the techs what to do? Does all the radiation scare you?

Jennie

Xray issue

My son was braced for 7 years. There were only a few times that I did not have to request for the tech to cover my son's private areas with a shield. We were followed at Dukes Lennox Baker's Children's Hospital and there were so many kids for them to see in clinic that the xray techs just tried to rush the kids in and out. Also, our physician always wanted a in brace xray and a out of brace xray within minutes of each other at each visit until I questioned him on the fact that it takes atleast 24 hours out of brace to get a true out of brace reading via xray. So that cut our radiation time in 1/2 only one xray per visit from then on. Xrays were always taken without shoes. Hopefully by reminding the techs (and sometimes physicians) it will finally sink that alot of patients and their advocates are not ignorant to the procedures.
    And one last thing a xray tech has no right to comment on your childs xray or state of anyones anomaly.
    Last edited by terri watkins; 05-16-2008, 08:04 AM.

Comment

Hi Jennie,

Try not to stress about the xray. It is only one variable in the scoliosis process. Yes, it should be consistent every time an xray is taken, but don't worry too much. When is your appt with the doc (hopefully a PEDIATRIC orthopedic surgeon)? Ask the doc about the xrays (again, if you have to).

You mentioned she's having daily pain. Have they done a full spine MRI? She's young enough that it may be a good idea to rule out any spinal cord issue that may be causing the pain. Scoliosis itself (curve of the bones) is not painful. Many kids with severe scoliosis never have pain. Pain comes from the soft tissues/muscles that are supporting (or not supporting) the spine. Pain can also be nerve related. This is why you need an MRI (sorry, but I don't remember if you posted about an MRI or not).

Good luck and ask the doc about these things. Let us know how it goes.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

No she hasn't had an MRI yet,I hope she will soon. Her back and or right hip hurts her daily. He didn't do an X-ray that day because her reflexes were normal.
        Yes it's a pediatric orthopedics Doctor.
        Thanks for the information!

Comment

Is it her LOWER back that hurts more? Does she ever trip for no apparent reason? Does she ever have occasional unexplained leg or foot pain/weakness/tingling? Does she ever have any changes in her bladder or bowel habits (ie, does she feel the sensation to empty her bladder every 30 mins for a couple of hours, then she may go 12+ hours w/o emptying)? These and more are things to watch for and things to tell the doc. Hope they will schedule an MRI soon. When she does have an MRI, it would be a good idea to have a pediatric neuroSURGEON look at the actual film, not just the radiologist's report. Sometimes there can be subtle, yet important findings. Keep us posted.
          Carmell
          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Jennie,

If you have to, speak up every time and make sure they use upper and lower shields. Jamie has always been x-rayed with shields.

I too worried about all the x-rays. One time a nurse said Jamie needed x-rays and I told her I wouldn't allow x-rays that day and she asked why not. I told her she hadn't worn her brace enough to make a difference and she was just x-rayed within the past two weeks. She told me NO ONE has ever refused an x-ray and she would have to ask the doctor if it was ok. I thought, shoot, go ahead and ask, but it's my child and I have the final say. Needless to say, the doctor agreed with me. I know the nurse was furious, but as parents we have to look out for our children's best interest.

By the way, Jamie has always been x-rayed without shoes. I never thought about it before because she always had to change into a gown for her x-rays and exam.

Hang in there and always do what you feel is best for your daughter.

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Carmell.

She does get leg pain,and she's had many many accidents over the years ,usually when laughing,but never a bm accident.She doesn't trip very often anymore,but she use to trip frequently over her own feet. She was in PT for years. She was very floppy and losse jointed,so i don't think it was for no reason.
              I am really going to push for an MRI because i keep feeling like there's more to this.
              I will look out for the things you mentioned. The orthopedics Dr was only interested in her reflex's and when they become abnormal,then he would order an MRI he said. What do you think about the reflexes being the most important?

Comment

Working...
              X