Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scuba diving!

Hi all,

I need to share yet another milestone with you. I haven't gone diving since before my surgery and was VERY concerned how I was going to be able to accomplish this in the future. Since my surgery I have not been able to carry or lift the amount of weight I was use to in the past. With your air tank and weights in your BC (Air vest.) on your back it is pushing around 60 lbs! Usually you sit and strap yourself into your vest, stand and walk to the end of the boat and jump in. Well I knew there was NO WAY I was going to be able to do that without straining my back. I talked to an instructor about my dilemma and she said I just needed to learn to get into my BC in the water. I scheduled pool time with her and learned it was SIMPLE to do! I can't tell you how much that relieved my anxiety. My Husband and I just went to Cancun for our 24th anniversary and I went diving with no problems!!! The guys on the boat obviously have had people who needed to get in this way on past dives. I realised then that many people have different types of problems to overcome, not just me. I was concerned what the others on the boat might think, but it was no big deal at all.

I want those of you who are thinking about what you may or may not be able to do after your surgery to know there are different ways to do the things you did before. Granted there are a few things I will never do again either by choice, (Is it worth the discomfort...) common sense, (Do I REALLY want to water ski again? The ONLY thing Dr. advised against.) or due to surgery. (No back bends.) But, for the most part, I can do all I choose to do. Next up is rollerblading... I do snow ski and have no problem. I feel that I have WAY more control as I go down then I ever did while water skiing. (For those of you who wonder why one and not the other.) I did need to be reminded constantly by my Husband to leave the luggage lifting to him. I could feel a bit of an ache in my lower back when I forgot this. Plus, I know lifting and twisting is a no no. (Luggage was 40-47lbs.)

Surgery 2/22/06 @43yr L49* now 8* T10 to L4

P.S. I saw my 1st SHARK!! It was a nurse shark about 6ft.

Oh Suzy that's wonderful! I actually asked my surgeon about diving (not that I know how, but I would like to learn) and he said no problem as long as I get the tanks on in the water. Actually he told me that after a year I can do anything I like as long as there is no severe back movement. Keep up the adventurous spirit! and congratulations on seeing your first shark.
    Alicia
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

way to go Suzy.......if there is a will , there is a way!
      I'll still stick to land though....
      soon to AZ & the men are doing the bag lifting.....
      Lynne
      ps. sent you an email...

Comment

Suzy that is wonderful. I was wondering if I would ever be able to do that again myself as I love diving.
        Even before my surgeries, because of my small size I always ask for a smaller tank (depending on how much you use on a dive) and it has never been a problem getting one. Reduces the weight and I could always get 3 dives out of one small tank.
        Thanks for the inspiration of my day!
        Carol
        CarolS
        68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
        Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
        Osteotomy March 20,2008
        Thrilled with results!

Comment

DAMN, you're good!!!!

Don't be getting any ideas about sky diving.......!!!
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Another obstacle overcome!

The people on this website amaze me everyday. As I've seen stated by others on here, I feel almost guilty at times for how relatively easy my recovery has been. But I feel everyone's triumphs just the same, and am so proud of each and every person on here.

Suzy, I am so happy for you that you found a way to do what you love to do, just a little differently. What an amazing experience to begin with, and add that on top of it, and the fact you got to share that with your husband on your anniversary....well, it is just so cool!

My boyfriend went scuba diving when we were in Mexico, but I didn't go because I'm afraid of sharks. And he saw a nurse shark! He said it's different being in the water with them, and it didn't intimidate him as much as a fin poking through the water while surfing.
            31 year old female
            55* (day of surgery) thoracic curve w/compensatory lumbar
            T4-T12 on Aug 15, 2007

MRI, pre-surgery
            Xray, 3 mos. post-op
            Machu Picchu, 8 mos. post-op

Comment

Working...
            X