Suggestions for 51 year old 40 years post surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for 51 year old 40 years post surgery

I am 51 and I had a thoracic harrington rod placed at Mass General Hospital by Dr. Riseborough when I was 13. I did well post-surgery for many years....only issue was radiating pain down my right leg as a result of bone graft site. Ten years ago I was informed that I might have contracted hepatitis C from blood transfusions during my surgery in 1970. Although I had no symptoms and normal liver function tests I tested positive for hepatitis C and decided to undergo interferon treatment which cured it.

I put my back out doing yoga last spring and since then have dealt with fairly consistent back pain. I had an evaluation at MGH a year ago which indicated that my original fusion had never "taken" and that my thoracic spine is now bowing out from the harrington rod. My curves are now 61 and 63 degrees.

I have always been an athletic and active person (I even skiied and played lacrosse goalie in my body cast - plaster in those days...) but now I find that any activity - even physical therapy - can create pain. I'd love any suggestions about physicians in the Boston area or any exercise routines that have worked for others who had surgery during my era. My goal is to be active and healthy for as long as possible and I wonder if my current approach of avoiding any exercise is wise.(Though I am a stay-at-home mother to 3 children so I am not exactly sedentary...)
    Thanks so much

Hi...

You'll probably hear from several people on this. Frank Rand is the name I hear most often in terms of treating patients with prior fusions.

Best of luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

loves to skate

Dr.Frank Rand is a wonderful surgeon and a very kind and compassionate man.
      You will find him listed on the Scoliosis Research Society's web site for Boston. He gets very high praises from all of the nurses and xray people at NE Baptist which made me feel very comfortable about having him do my surgery, although mine was not a revision, but very complicated surgery. I was in surgery for the posterior part for 12 hours and 7 hours for the anterior part. I kept myself strong before surgery by doing water therapy. It didn't help my pain but helped my attitude. I don't like to sit around either. Hope this helps.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Try working out in a swimming pool. You can exercise while the water supports your back. I have arthritis and discs problems and it is the only way my doctor lets me exercise. I go to a pool that is kept at 90 degrees. They had a treadmill and exercise bike in the pool for us to use.
        T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
        2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
        3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
        Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

I know what you mean/no hep though for me

I myself had the same surgery. with post op out I looked like a small Arnold Swartzeneger. I've had pain since the surgery. NO Slip NO fall No injuries at all34+ years now the pain is worse. The less I move the better it feels. I just had my 17th X-ray set taken. And the rod is in place. I was diagnosed with "DEGENERATIVE ARTHRIC FROM THE L-5 to S-1 and it's been there growing all this time. The ortho's I met and me getting different opinions, thet all agreeded there is no fixing me the damage is done.

All I can tell you is that medical technology has come a long way and for my son I do pray the he keeps growing north he's almost a foot taller and he's 13 yrs old And allready been checked yes he got it, Its genetic. They reassurd me that he doing fine, no worries....But for me they couldn't say.

plainjane

Originally posted by MGH 1970 View Post
          I am 51 and I had a thoracic harrington rod placed at Mass General Hospital by Dr. Riseborough when I was 13. I did well post-surgery for many years....only issue was radiating pain down my right leg as a result of bone graft site. Ten years ago I was informed that I might have contracted hepatitis C from blood transfusions during my surgery in 1970. Although I had no symptoms and normal liver function tests I tested positive for hepatitis C and decided to undergo interferon treatment which cured it.

I put my back out doing yoga last spring and since then have dealt with fairly consistent back pain. I had an evaluation at MGH a year ago which indicated that my original fusion had never "taken" and that my thoracic spine is now bowing out from the harrington rod. My curves are now 61 and 63 degrees.

I have always been an athletic and active person (I even skiied and played lacrosse goalie in my body cast - plaster in those days...) but now I find that any activity - even physical therapy - can create pain. I'd love any suggestions about physicians in the Boston area or any exercise routines that have worked for others who had surgery during my era. My goal is to be active and healthy for as long as possible and I wonder if my current approach of avoiding any exercise is wise.(Though I am a stay-at-home mother to 3 children so I am not exactly sedentary...)
          Thanks so much

Comment

Working...
          X