Scoliosis and lack of reflexes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis and lack of reflexes??

Is there any connection between scoliosis and little to no reflexes??

One thing we noticed early on with our daughter was that she had little to no reflexes when she went to the pediatrician for a well visit. He'd whack on her knees and elbows 10-15 times and then give up. He was never too concerned since she's a very healthy active child.
    He did recently suggest 2 supplements - CoQ and Omega 3. That only lasted a week since she really disliked the taste.
    Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
    Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
    Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
    Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
    Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
    Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

I'm glad to hear she's doing well, being active. The lack of reflexes may indicate there are nerve function problems to her legs. The nerves that feed the legs are located in the lumbar spine. Has she had a full spine MRI to rule out problems like Chiari, syrinx, tethered cord, etc.? I don't think a consultation with a pediatric neurosurgeon is a bad idea. She's still very young and it would probably give you peace of mind knowing there is nothing hidden to be concerned about. Good luck with this.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

I have no reflexes, my GP could never find them and it really botherd her. I have had 2 spine surgeries and both surgeons told me at the visit they will find them and both failed. Its never been a big worry that they have mentioned, maybe I should question it...
      Patty 51 years old
      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
      Posterior T3- L4
      Pre surgery curves
      T-53degrees
      L-38degrees
      and a severe side shift to the right.
      Post surgery curves
      Less than 10 degrees
      Surgery April, 2006
      C4 - C6

Comment

My daughter doesn't have reflexes either. Never has.

Although she has refused testing (there is no cure, so Jamie says why bother?), we believe she may have a disorder called Charcot-Marie-Tooth (CMT for short). CMT affects several generations in my husband's family including his mother and Scoliosis is a side affect of CMT. Of course, no one in my husband's family told me Scoli was a side affect!

I think it is classified as a neuromuscular disorder. There is info available on the internet.

Mary Lou
        Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

I have no reflexes in my knees either- especially my right. They would make me count back from 100 by 7s to try to distract me thinking it was that.

I wonder if it is somehow related to scoliosis since so many of us have the same condition. I do know now that I have a degenerative disc or two (was/is herniated/bulging as well) so that could affect it. The scoliosis and disc problems are in my lumbar spine.

Comment

trcylynn,

Every doctor who ever tested Jamie's reflexes did something similar to your counting. They would first tell her to relax and when that didn't change anything they'd have her hook her finger tips together and pull in opposite directions.
            After we figured out that she doesn't have reflexes, it became a joke between Jamie and myself. We always laughed in private of course, at every resident who tried and tried repeatedly to get a reaction from her knees. The look on their faces was always priceless because you know they didn't want to have to tell the orthopedic doctor in charge of them that they couldn't even find a reflex in a child's knee!

Mary Lou
            Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Interesting to hear my daughter's not the only one without reflexes. We've played the number counting game many times as well.

Mary Lou
              Sorry to hear about the CMT diagnosis. Seems like you'll have a lot more things to deal with in the future. Thankfully we don't have any CMT cases in our family tree.

My daughter did have an MRI before getting her Boston brace to rule out any underlying pathology. Everything looked fine.
              Mom to Haley, 13.5 yrs old
              Diagnosed at 6 yrs old - 18T.
              Boston Brace at 9.5 yrs old - 34T/18L
              Switched to SpineCor at 10 yrs old
              Stable at ~22T OBX until 12.5 yrs old
              Adolescent growth spurt was brutal - scheduled for surgery Dec 7th.

Comment

Working...
              X