No announcement yet.

Any1 from Louisiana/Shrevepot Shriners?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any1 from Louisiana/Shrevepot Shriners?

Is there anyone here from Louisiana or anyone that goes to Shreveport Shriners Hospital? I live 5 1/2 hours away from Shreveport, but it is so worth it because there is no cost to you. It is a great feeling to just walk into this great hospital and get it all free. Any1?
    Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
    www.myspace.com/ross40728
    Had surgery on 9/20/04
    81* Scheuermann's Disease
    40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
    U Rod Inserted
    Fused from T2-L3

Hi Matt,

I took my son to them for a second opinion and thought that we might use them; however, it is about 8 hours away from where we live. It was okay, but I like our local doctor. He is only an hour away.

You will find that not one person will respond to you about Shriners. Why? I don't have a clue.
    Mom of 13 year old son with scoliosis

Comment

M. Armstrong....

What did you mean when you told Matt that "not one person will respond about Shriners?"

I am taking my daughter to Shriners in Philadelphia later this month and anyone that I've talked to have all said good things about this hospital. We've been through so much with our local Children's Hospital (which is only 10 minutes away from our home) that hopefully it will be very beneficial for us to drive several hours to get to the closest Shriners.

Some people choose Shriners because of the fact the care is free. I've even had offers from different Shriner members to drive me in the personal vehicle to get to all appointments! I don't need anything like that. The reason I chose Shriners: there is an excellent doctor there who a friend has personally recommended to us and if we can't get the kind of care we deserve close to home, we'll take Shriners any day over our local Children's Hospital!

Mary Lou-Mom of 12 1/2 yr. daughter w/Kyphoscoliosis and seeking FOURTH opinion

P.S. I'll let you know what I think of Shriners after our appointment. Matt knows that I'll be in touch with him to tell him personally of our experience because he's already shared his experience with us.

Comment

M. Armstrong

What do you mean that no one will reply to me about Shriners. From my home Shriners is about 6 and a half hours including stopping for food and restrooms. They have great care and they are free. The reason I went: Because they have one the best surgeons there named Dr. Richard McCall. Also, in the last 2 years I have had 5 surgeries and with medical costs coming out to about $106,700. Shriners is so great. So you may want to reconsider.

P.S. I just got done reading Mary Lou's email and you probably want to reconsider. Thanks Mary Lou for watching my back! Literally.
        Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
        www.myspace.com/ross40728
        Had surgery on 9/20/04
        81* Scheuermann's Disease
        40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
        U Rod Inserted
        Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Hey.

What I meant when I stated that no one would respond to you about Shriners is on this forum. Shriners is a great facility where you can get free medical care. I don't know why but I have posted several times concerning Shriners and no one has responded to me. That is what I was talking about when I stated that no one would respond.

There are several reasons why my husband and I chose not to use them but it is not because of their care.

Sorry if I sounded misleading.
          Mom of 13 year old son with scoliosis

Comment

M. Armstrong...

No hard feelings. As a Mom, I'm sure you understood my comments. We are all looking for the best possible care/information for our kids. My daughter will be 13 next month and we just weren't pleased with our local doctors treating her like a two year old. I'm glad you found someone your family feels comfortable with and not to be selfish, but I hope we find someone we are comfortable with soon, because I know my daughter will be needing surgery and I would like to get it done soon. Had we felt comfortable with our local doctors, she would have had surgery done by now.

How is your son? Is he in a brace and if so, what type?

Again, no hard feelings. I'm sorry if I offended you with my comments. I'm wasn't trying to attack you.

Mary Lou

Comment

any1 from louisiana/shreveport shriners

Matt - I, too, can attest to the great care my son received at a Shriners Hospital (Philadelphia). While their care is free of charge, that's not why we chose them. Dr. Betz (Chief of Staff-Philadelphia) and his colleagues offered us options unavailable elsewhere. They are tops in the field and always at the forefront of new technologies. Since there is no money involved, all the decisions they make are based on one thing: the best interest of the patient! While I am not familiar with the Shreveport hospital, I'd certainly go for a consultation and form an opinion based on your impressions.

Good luck. (And tell my friend, Mary Lou, that Maria from NY said hello). (I'm still getting used to navigating this site!)
              mariaf305@yahoo.com
              Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
              Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

I live in Shreveport, and have scoliosis. Fortunately, my husband is in the military, and TRICARE covers all my costs. Before we were married however, I looked into Shriners. They seem to be a pretty good facility, from all the info. my mom and I gathered at the time. But, I didn't end up going there, as I mentioned, so I guess I can't really say if they were good or not from experience. If I were you, I would try it.. you never know until you do.

Comment

Shriner's Hospital

Hi Matt,

We took my daughter, Amanda (13 years old) to Shriner's Hospital in Philadelphia, Dr. Betz. She has three curves in her back over a little over 50 degrees, she was diagnosed with idiopathic scoliosis. He recomended surgery, we went to NY for a second opinion and he confirmed she needs surgery, He said Dr. Betz is an excellent surgeon. They want to do the surgery in 3-4 months, and I would like to do more research on Shriner's Hospital in Philadelphia. If I find out any thing about Shriner's I will let you know, or if any body knows anything about Shriner's please let us know. Thank you.

Comment

Terri.....

I'm glad you are pleased with Shriner's and Dr. Betz. I felt an instant sense of relieve the moment I walked into that hospital. I'm not trying to sound negative, but don't plan on your daughter's surgery being done in 3 or 4 months. My daughter was seen by Dr. Betz in July and we were told she needed surgery, but we probably wouldn't be able to get into his surgery schedule for six months to one year! As you know, Dr. Betz is a very busy man and a great doctor. Personally, I would have waited to get into his schedule (and had considered doing so) but my daughter didn't want to wait that long.

I wish you and your daughter the best of luck. I just wanted to make you aware of the fact that the wait may be longer than you expect. Your daughter is in excellent hands with Dr. Betz.

Mary Lou

Comment

Hi Mary Lou

Thank you for responding so quickly, I see that you are located in PA so are we, may I ask where your daughter is having her surgery we were also told to look in Children's Hospital of Pennsylvania, I'm so afraid of making the wrong choice. I wish your daughter the best, please let me know how everything is going, does your daughter talk about it, Amanda at first didn't want to talk about it, now she is talking a little bit more. Thank you again. Terri

Comment

I go there....yeah that Dr.is really nice and i think the people are nice too

Comment

Shriners Shreveport at risk of closing

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/artic...WS01/906080310
                          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

another article about possible Shriners closures

shriners

I hope they find some way to keep all the hospitals open.
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Pretty hard to raise money when you can't even use a circus as a fundraiser without people complaining.

Comment

Working...
                              X