• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone had thorascopic fusion?

http://www.find-health-articles.com/...nal-fusion.htm

-------------

CONCLUSIONS:
    Thoracoscopic spinal instrumentation compares favorably with posterior fusion in terms of coronal plane curve correction and balance, sagittal contour, the rate of complications, pulmonary function, and patient-based outcomes. The advantages of the procedure include the need for fewer levels of spinal fusion, less operative blood loss, lower transfusion requirements, and improved cosmesis as a result of small, well-hidden incisions. However, the operative time for the thoracoscopic procedure was nearly twice that for the posterior approach. Additional study is needed to determine the precise role of thoracoscopic spinal instrumentation in the treatment of thoracic adolescent idiopathic scoliosis.

-------------

Now I did ask our surgeon if he did this procedure. He said he did have training but didn't feel it was up to standards yet. And I note that posterior spinal fusion is routinely referred to as the "gold standard" in practically every paper I read. But I just wonder if we shouldn't try to seek out an opinion from someone who does this procedure routinely.

Still, I would have trouble not using the gold standard so I'm on the fence.

sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."
Working...
X