Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scoliosis and Pectus Excavatum - Is Bracing a problem with PE?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis and Pectus Excavatum - Is Bracing a problem with PE?

Hi -

Do any of you have a child with scoliosis and pectus excavatum? Our 12-yr-old daughter was just diagnosed with scoliosis that's "definitely NOT mild", according to her pediatrician. We don't know how many degrees her deviation is because we haven't had her initial evaluation yet. She's already had her big growth spurt, so I don't know if bracing will do much at this point. If they do want her to have a brace, do you know if the pectus may be an issue? Since her chest is already a bit compressed, I'm wondering if a brace would put more pressure on her heart and lungs.

I'm sure Dr. Tolo at Children's Hospital Los Angeles will be answering that for us. We just have 3 weeks to sit around and Google while we're waiting (ha-), and I'm trying to be as informed as possible.

Thanks -

Cathy

Hi Cathy,

You're daughter's situation is a good example of the many variables involved when coming up with a recommendation to treat scoliosis. My guess is that Dr. Tolo will not suggest a brace because of her PE. If her chest and lungs are already compromise, and she is almost skeletally mature, a brace is not a good recommendation. He'll be able to tell you how his recommendations are for her, specifically.

I know of several teens who have PE - some have had corrective surgery, some have not. Every one is different. Does she have breathing issues because of the PE? Does she have a significant rotation of the spine that is contributing to the PE? My Braydon has a slight PE, due mostly to his spinal rotation.

Good luck waiting to see the ortho. Waiting is often the hardest part for us parents.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Hi Cathy,

When is the appointment with Dr. Tolo? My daughter (14 yo) has an appointment at CHLA (with Dr. Skaggs) on March 13th. We live in OC.

Lisa
      Lisa
      Mom to Mackenzie
      diagnosed March 2007 at 28 degree thoracic, 40 degree lumbar
      August 2007 - 37 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar
      March 2008 - 39 degree thoracic, 37 degree lumbar

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy in CA
        Hi -

Do any of you have a child with scoliosis and pectus excavatum? If they do want her to have a brace, do you know if the pectus may be an issue? Since her chest is already a bit compressed, I'm wondering if a brace would put more pressure on her heart and lungs.
        My daughter(s) have pe and scoliosis; that's one of the reasons we wouldn't put her in the hard brace; she's been wearing Spinecor for 2-1/2 years.

Comment

Working...
        X