View Full Version : Anyone with disc problems?

02-28-2008, 08:27 AM
I was scheduled for surgery on Monday, March 3rd. My doctor called me yesterday and cancelled my surgery. Last Friday I went and had a discogram done because some of my discs looked like they had possible deterioration and he wanted to check them out. Turns out that one of my discs is damaged and it needs to be fixed as well. I have an appointment next Friday with my doctor to replan my surgery but now I am stressed out about not knowing what will happen. I was wondering if anyone had to have a disc fused in addition to their scoliosis surgery. If so, did they fix both problems in one surgery or does it require two different surgeries? I appreciate any info. Thanks !

02-28-2008, 09:07 AM
I not only had scoliosis, but I had a work related injury from 1999 that involved 2 herniated discs (L2-L3 and L5-S1). When my surgeon went in to treat the curves he knew well in advance that there was a disc problem as well. He took care of both problems all at one time. What a great surprise to wake up from surgery and not feel that nagging burning down my outer thigh for pretty much the first time in almost 9 years. I have not felt the burning since my surgery date and am still amazed by that every day.
I wish I could tell you exactly what the surgeon did to fix me but I really have no idea. I just know he cleaned up the discs and straightened the curves and rotation. I also know that in my case it could all be fixed at one time. Sorry I couldn't give you any more information. Hopefully Friday your surgeon will have a new date for you and it will be soon as well. :o
Good Luck

02-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Thanks for the info Alicia. For some reason I am just worried he will want to do two different surgeries and I really am hoping to get it all over with at once! I am glad to know that you were able to fix both problems at the same time.

02-28-2008, 10:18 AM
I think part of it depends on what is being fused and where the disc problems are. In my case it was all in the same area so it was no big deal to take care of it all at once (when you fuse most of the spine it pretty much is all in the same area :D ). Hope they are able to take care of everything for you soon.

02-28-2008, 02:40 PM
I just had scoliosis surgery and I have a worn out disc L5 but my surgeon decided not to anything yet and to just wait. I might have to have something done later but right now we are going to just wait and see. He fused down to L3 do there would be a good disc between the fused one and the worn out one. I don't now if this helps you any or not but hang in there, he'll do what he thinks is appropriate for you.

02-29-2008, 11:56 AM
I just had my surgery and had a discectomy at L5-S1, plus fusion reinforcement and a plate attached in front. Alicia is right; depends on what the doctor intends to fuse and where the deteriorated discs are located. It would seem he would want to take care of it all at once if possible, but I wouldn't presume to second-guess the surgeon. Just make sure you have a list of all your questions for your appointment. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

02-29-2008, 09:38 PM

I think it's unusual for any adult with scoliosis to not have disc problems. What you surgeon was probably trying to determine was whether you had disc problems above or below where s/he had originally planned to fuse.


03-01-2008, 01:12 PM

I think you are right. I am sure when my doctor found out this addittional information, it does change his original plans he had in mind for my surgery so I know he needs some more time to replan the surgery. His assistant told me that I have two options for the surgery but I am not sure what that is yet. I will meet with him next Friday to find out the new plan and to get a new date. It just really made me start stressing out when they called and cancelled and then things started racing through my head. Are they still going to fix the scoliosis? Am I going to have to go through two surgeries now? I know it may be a silly thing to get dissapointed about having your surgery cancelled but I was really looking forward to a new straight back and finally putting this all behind me.

03-01-2008, 04:59 PM
Hi Jamie,

You know reading your post the first thing that came to my mind about your Dr. possibly wanting to do two different surgeries was I would push to have it all done on the same day Or, a couple of days apart, like those who have ant. then post. surgeries a few days apart. I would rather recover from both surgeries at the same time.

I had a Discogram prior to my surgery and found the 2 discs below my fusion were "leaking" a bit. My Dr. said if he were to give them a grade on their health it would be about a C. I wondered if we should address them now or wait and he said definetly to wait. That would have made my fusion continue to S1. (I am T10 to L4) I COMPETELY understand your feelings about your surgery date being cancelled. We get ourselves prepared mentally for that date and then you have to stop and wait for the next date, UGH! Hopefully it can be done soon and hopefully on the same or close dates. Good luck with your Friday appt. And keep us posted.