A Curve that is not Scoliosis???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Curve that is not Scoliosis???

I don't know if I am even in the correct place anymore but I thought I would elicit some opinions. Several weeks ago, I wrote on this thread about my daughter Michelle's back pain and a questionable scoliosis diagnosis. We have since been to the Springifeld, MA Shriners Hospital for further evaluation and treatment. The pediatric ortho surgeon ordered a full spine MRI and blood tests. While I am happy to report that the tests showed no abnormalities (stress fracture, tumor, etc), he concluded that her curve was not a structural scoliosis. He called it a muscular or postural curve as Michelle's spine is straight when she stands upright (which she can do with a lot of pain). He told us that he had only seen this once in his 25 year practice and it was with a teenaged girl who had undergone a serious emotional trauma in her life. We assured him that Michelle was a happy and well adjusted child, no traumas here. He was very dismissive of us and ordered three weeks of physical therapy, once per week, and basically showed us the door and said not to come back until August. We have had two therapy sessions and Michelle is doing daily core exercises to strengthen her muscles. We are also doing visual "cueing" to remind her to stand straight. She has seen no improvement in her pain and we are becoming extremely frustrated. Does anyone have any suggestions? We have already tried chiropractic. I am thinking of seeing another ortho somewhere else or maybe even a sports medicine doctor. Michelle is a dancer, cheerleader and lacrosse player. Most of her muscles are already quite strong. I don't know if someone is missing something here..................HELP!

Lisa

Hi, It sounds like a frustrating experience. Hopefully the PT will help over time. I wonder if Rolfing in addition to PT would help her? We do not have 1st hand experience with it yet (although we probably will try it sometime - maybe in the summer when we have a bit more time since we might need to drive an hour or so to find somebody with good credentials). However, if you search on the world Rolf or Rolfing you will find a number of interesting posts - it seems to me that your daughter might be helped with something like this. Good luck with everything! (I also sent you a private message)
    daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
    -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
    -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
    -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

p.s. it seems like she would need more than 3 physical therapy sessions for it to make a difference. Perhaps if you call into his office they can extend it. Or maybe you can get her pediatrician to write a script for more physical therapy?
      daughter, 12, diagnosed 8/07 with 19T/13L
      -Braced in spinecor 10/07 - 8/12 with excellent in brace correction and stable/slightly decreased out of brace curves.
      -Introduced Providence brace as adjunct at night in 11/2011 in anticipation of growth spurt. Curves still stable.
      -Currently in Boston Brace. Growth spurt is here and curves (and rotation) have increased to 23T/17L

Comment

i will b prayin 4 michelle God bless!!! -val
        Valerie

Hi, my name is Valerie, but you can call me Val or V.
        I wore a Boston Brace from 2007-2010
        My curves were 30 and 31
        I now have only a single curve which stands at 35 degrees.
        I owe all of my blessings to The Lord!
        I am very thankful with where my spine is at right now.
        I want to meet some new people on this forum!
        Don't be shy...
        Feel free to message me if you would like to chat!

Comment

Hi Lisa-
          I am sorry to hear about what must be a very frustrating situation for you and your daughter. I can relate to how you must be feeling - we once had a dr tell us that our 6 yr old daughter's uti's were behavioral (even though her urine contained large blood clots)- we found a new dr asap and she was diagnosed with a disease of her bladder wall! (she is doing great now)

Did the ortho at Shriner's agree with the 25 degree curve measurement?
          I completely agree with your idea to get a second opinion. I read that you are near Springfield, MA ~ we see Dr. Hresko at Boston Children's Hospital and I would not hesitate to recommend him!!

I wish you and your daughter the best of luck & hopefully some answers soon!!
          -Cara
          Cara, Mom to Nathan
          Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
          Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
          VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
          Dr. Hresko
          40 Degrees before VBS
          11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Comment

Working...