View Full Version : CT Mylogram

02-24-2008, 10:38 PM
I'm looking for any information on this procedure any of you wonderful people would be willing to share. I could Google it, but why would I want to do that when I have the absolute BEST source of first hand information from kind caring people? During my visit with the scolio surgeon Thursday, it was decided to have this done to check nurve pathways before I make a decision on surgery timing. My curves haven't progressed since August which makes me happy, but at the same time I was kind of hoping curve progression was the reason for the pain increase.

Questions: About how long does the procedure take? Is it painful? Are you sedated? How much down time is necessary?

Thanks for anything you can share.

02-25-2008, 07:33 AM
I am more of a reader than a poster, but I can help you with this because I had a myleogram this past August. The actual procedure lasted about 90 minutes. After the actual test I had to stay in recovery for about an hour. It was not painful, but uncomfortable. They give you a spinal injection to begin with. Then they placed like a block of pillowcases under my chin, very careful to keep the dye from flowing in the head. I laid on my stomach the whole time. They lift and rotate the table to get the dye to flow. Next they took many images while I was laying on the table, the tech kept manipulating my body into different positions. At times he wanted my hip to stay down while my leg was bent up, my hips are uneven so everytime he let go my hip would raise up. I was thinking set something heavy on it, to keep it down. Then they took me to the CT machine and that is no big deal. Follow their directions for after the procedure. I had to lay flat(flat pillow) for 24 hours afterwords. I did this at my in-laws because the procedure was done in Austin about an hour and a half from where I live. My husband drove us home the next evening. I had a headache for about 4 days following this. It went away when I would lay down, and came back when I stood up. I was beginning to worry, called the radiologist on the 4th day. But thankfully it went away the next day. The procedure confirmed the neck pain I was having, it showed the C7 was herniated, they could see that it tore to the right side. Confirmed other bulging cervical discs and of course severe scoliosis, no nerve damage.

It was not painful, just uncomfortable.

Hope this helps!


Trying to decide when and where to have this surgery.

02-25-2008, 01:17 PM
Wow! I didn't realize it would be such an involved procedure. :eek: I guess I had it pictured in the same neighborhood as the spinal epidurals, in and out in an hour or so. Just another new experience to add to the list.

Another couple of questions for you: Were you sedated at all for the procedure? :confused: I'm pretty squemish when it comes to needles close to my back. You'd think for a person with scoliosis I could handle anything being done to my back, but I get pretty jumpy and I don't think this would be an opportune time to jump.

Also, is the headache after typical or were you the exception to the rule? Just want to be prepared.

Thanks again, Mary, for the info!

02-25-2008, 04:29 PM

They did not sedate me. A doctor injects the contrast dye, felt similar to the epidurals I had when I was labor with my kids. I believe he rubbed a numbing agent on the spot before the injection. A doctor did the injection and a tech did all the x-rays.

I've had facet injections once into T3 area and steroids injections twice into my neck. I felt they were all uncomforatable, not painful. The facet injections did nothing for my pain. For the steriods shots in my neck I just lay down in the pain docs. exam room and point to the spot and he gives the shots. The first time I had these I had pain relief for about 6 weeks. Unfortunately, the next time I went in the relief only lasted about 2 weeks.

A headache can be a side affect. I think if it had persisted I would have had to go back in. I was bummed I got it because I followed instructions for after the procedure. Clear fluids and laying down for 24 hours.

The whole procedure from arrival to leaving was about 3 hours tops. The best word for me to describe it was uncomfortable, not painful. If I can do it, you can do it!


02-25-2008, 05:51 PM
I've had two done and there were a piece of cake. No sedation, used a local anesthetic and I had to stay only one hour afterward with no headache. Compared to my surgeries, past and future, this is nothing. Don't waste a minute worrying about it. And by the way, I had a resident do mine since my hospital is a teaching hospital.

02-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Thanks for all the info. I definately feel better knowing what to expect. I haven't gotten word yet on when it's going to be done but now I'll go into it with no worries! :D