Strange symptoms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange symptoms

Sheena is nearly 3 months post op and is doing great but the other night I looked at her back and noticed that she has fine hair growing all over, she never had this before and it's only on her back. She has dark hair so it's noticeable.

She's also losing an excessive amount of hair the last few weeks, she has a lot of hair so I'm not especially concerned that she'll go bald anytime soon. She had long thick hair and cut into a short crop to make it easier to take care of and ever since then it's been coming out. Could cutting it have anything to do with this? I'm inclined to think it was the stress of surgery but I don't know for sure.

Just wondering if anyone else has lost a lot of hair after surgery or heard of anyone who had the the other problem. Her periods are normal and she seems fine in every other way so I'm not trying to get myself too worked up but I can't help to worry because these two things seemed to coincide. I'm taking her tomorrow to the pediatr. so any input I can bring would be helpful.

Sherie--my understanding is that the anesthesia can cause hair loss in the months after surgery like that. I don't know about the hair generation on her back though... but it's probably something that will stop, I imagine. Hopefully someone else has some info on both those questions of yours.
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Sheri,

I lost a ton of hair after my surgery for about 6 months. It finally stopped and is now getting thicker again. As for her back I did not have that problem. Best of Luck.
      Patty 51 years old
      Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
      Posterior T3- L4
      Pre surgery curves
      T-53degrees
      L-38degrees
      and a severe side shift to the right.
      Post surgery curves
      Less than 10 degrees
      Surgery April, 2006
      C4 - C6

Comment

Sheri

I am one year post op and the same thing happened to me. Around three months post op I had a lot of hair loss, it was scary and a mess all over the house and it lasted for a month. My doctor said the surgery puts your body in shock and a lot of people experience hair loss. He said in smaller amounts our hair falls out every day and the shock of the surgery set of the shedding cycle of my hair. It has been growing back for a while now and the hair on my back is gone.

Sue

Comment

Thanks so much everyone, I already feel better. Just when I thought we were in the home stretch, this stuff came up.

Sue, you had the problem with hair on your back too? Did your doc say why that happened? That's so bizarre and it's not something I've seen anyone else mention. Did your doctor use BMP? Dr. Lenke used it on her and I was wondering if that somehow triggered it. But thanks for replying, I'm sorry you had to go through that but it's a great comfort to me that Sheena's not the only one with these issues. I guess I'll go ahead and take her in to the doctor just to make sure.

Comment

Sherie,

I also experienced a significant hair loss starting about 3 months postop that continued for about three months. My surgeon said it was common for a body to react to the stress of surgery and recovery in this manner. He told me I would not be totally bald, and he was right. He also told me to make sure I continued to eat well with adequate protein, fresh fruits, vegetables and calcium. My primary care physician suggested I take Biotin, a supplement noted for "helping to support healthy skin and hair". My CVS carries it made by Nature's Bounty. You can also order it online at drugstore.com. It comes in a couple of strengths. I have been taking the highest dose of 5,000mcg. I also had BMP. I have not noticed any hair growth on my back.

Tell Sheena to hang on because recovery can be a bumpy ride at times. I hope she is soon feeling better about her hair. I know it flipped me out when it started to happen. People kept telling me I looked fine, but I had a baggie full of hair that used to be on my head and was very concerned about it!
            Linda W.
            Linda
            Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
            S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
            Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
            Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Linda....That would be scary to have your hair fall out at this rate for 3 months! Like I said, she has tons of hair so I don't think it would bother her if some of it never came back. She's a trooper and takes things in stride, I'm the one that freaks out. Thanks for the advice, I'll make sure she's taking vitamins and eating well.

Comment

Working...
              X