Need Kyphosis (Hunchback) feedback

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Kyphosis (Hunchback) feedback

Hi all, we found out only in June 07 that my 22 year old son has Kyphosis. No Scoliosis (fortunately) but with some Lordosis though. We have been to 4 doctors. The degree of thoracic deformity (Scheurman's Kyphosis) has been stated at both 68 and 72. He has some slight pain in the thoracic region and more so in his lower back. We have been told if he's not in pain now he can wait until he's older to have surgery, but he'd like to get it done with now that he's younger and stronger. The surgery would be appx T3-L1 fusion.

He's been told by 2 of the doctors it would require both anterior and posterior surgery (one suggested use of stainless steel because he's a big boy of 6'1" @ 230 lbs). I understand the anterior part of the surgery is extremely painful recovery and traumatic on the body. Fortunately recently, one doctor suggested that he could possibly correct the curve to 45 degrees (normal = 20-45) with only posterior surgery using titanium.

I would appreciate anyone's input particulary if they've experienced the surgery themselves or lived with it during older age.. We are scheduling surgery for this June 2008.
    Thank you, Gwen
    Last edited by KyphosisMom; 02-05-2008, 11:47 PM.

Hi Gwen,

My daughter was younger than your son when she had her surgery. Jamie had both her Scoliosis and her Kyphosis corrected at the same time. We had five opinions before her surgery and only once were we told that she "might" need an anterior release and posterior fusion. That was all ruled out once she had an MRI.

Jamie had a posterior fusion from T3-L2. Her Kyphosis corrected down to about 33*. Before surgery it was aobut 72*.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Hi

I am a 24 year old male. I had surgery in March 2007 in Ireland. I was 23 years of age when I had it done. I am 6 ft 2, but a bit lighter than your son I had kyphosis with about 65 degree curvature, which isn't crazy, but I was in a bit of pain. It wasn't acute pain....more discomfort. I decided to go ahead with the surgery. I had posterior surgery. The days immediately after the surgery were really tough. I spent 11 days in hospital and the first 6 days of that were rough. I spent 6 weeks at home after, just going for walks and sitting around. I returned to work after those 6 weeks. I wasn't allowed to play any sport for 6 months which was really tough, given that I was so active beforehand. But since my six month check up i have been back jogging, playing racket sports and even golf. Just no contact sports. I haven't had my curve measured but it is definitely around normal. I would say high thirities. One of the screws has come loose and pertrudes a bit and I will probably have to get that removed at some point. Also I have a bit of rib hump, but that doesn't bother me.

I couldn't tell anyone to go ahead with a surgery or not, because of the significant risks and the tough nature of the recovery. But I know I am glad I have had it done.

If you have anymore questions, let me know.

Dave

Comment

I am having surgery for my kyphoscoliosis (kyphosis 65*, scoliosis 45*T/32*L). It will be posterior only from T3-L1. I am a female, and 6'1'', but about 160 lbs. I haven't heard of having to do posterior and anterior for the reason only being a larger person, but what do it know? haha... definitely get a second and third opinion, weigh the risks, etc. I am seeing Dr. Lawrence Lenke in St. Louis MO... I don't know if you are anywhere close to there. I drive from Kansas to see him though.
        aBbiE
        22 yr old F,KU college student
        Kyphoscoliosis...
        Scoliosis (25T, 23L) diagnosed @ 14 yrs old; curves June 08 were 45T, 32L with 18 degree rotation
        Kyphosis of 65 degrees...
        I am missing a lumbar vertebrae

Surgery 6/30/2008 with Dr. Lawrence Lenke
        Fused T2-L2

before/after pics
        all smiles!

Comment

Working...
        X