Non-narcotic pain control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-narcotic pain control

I don't know if it's because I got a nearly 100-percent correction in my 50s or what, but no amounts of Aleve, Tylenol or Advil does one damn thing for my discomfort. I hate to keep harping on this and I will be meeting with my pain management guy later this week (who prescribes abdominal exercises, thank you but that's not cutting it). I'm going a little crazy and wonder if any of you have found success with any kind of medication that is NOT narcotic but maybe stronger than over-the-counter stuff. If I took enough Tylenol to be comfortable my liver would explode !!!!!

I am not in agony but I AM having trouble functioning the way I was when I was on Oxycontin, which I do NOT want to get dependent on again.

Thanks!!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Chris ...

I've meant to ask you this before ... and please, please, take this in the spirit intended (not armchairing, not accusatory, just curious based on what I've read) ...

Isn't correction of almost 100% (or even *close*) almost unheard of?

Most surgeons refuse to take someone someone in their early 20's, MY age (and let me state NEITHER of us are old!! ;-) to that level of correction because of stress on the body and potential for decompensation.

Hanson estimates (even with my physical state/extreme flexibility) correction down to ±20° (from ±53°). BTW, my rotation at the apex is about +2 ... perhaps this factors in.

Regards, girlfriend ... and I'm sorry you're in pain .

Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

As big as my curve was, it turns out I was extremely flexible, especially for my age, which is why Boachie was able to get such a HUGE correction. I suppose I'm not being technically accurate when I say 100 percent, but when you figure anything less than 10 degrees isn't even scoliosis anymore.....that's what it seems like (and feels like) to me.

Boachie did say my tissues (muscles, tendons, nerves) took a tremendous beating during my two surgeries (hence the weak leg). I wonder if I would be in less pain if he'd only gotten my curve down to say, 30 or 40 degrees (which is what he was predicting before he got in there and started cranking). I wonder if there's a correlation. No way of knowing, I guess.

I will say though: my body LOOKS absolutely mahvelous.
      Last edited by Singer; 01-28-2008, 07:08 PM.
      Chris

Comment

Have you tried some gentle swimming or water walking? I'm not sure if you're interested in acupuncture treatments but they've been known to help some kinds of pain. Also, massage might help - my son and I have had craniosacral and hellerwork massages and, especially the hellerwork, it feels amazing on an injured/recovering back.

I hope it feels better soon.
        Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
        Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
        Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

It's by no means a miracle drug, but I'm on Oxyprozin (generic for Daypro) - an NSAID. Ever since they took Vioxx away I have had difficulty finding something to lessen my pain. In the last few years I seem to have developed an aversion to a lot of heavy-duty pain killers, so they were off the list. I was on Voltaren for quite awhile but suspected it was raising my blood pressure and that's when I switched to Oxyprozin. I was right. BP is down and I don't have any side effects. I'm not completely free of pain but it helps and in fact I had to stop taking it today in preparation for the surgery. I'm not looking forward to the next two weeks without it. Just one suggestion.
          FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
          10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
          8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
          5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
          2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
          3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

drugs before surgery ...

I feel your pain (pun intended?), trulyaries ...

Tylenol does NOTHING for my pain, and that's all I'm allowed to take for now. At *least* ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and helps minimize disc protrusion pain for me.

Arggggh.

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Chris,

I'm kind of in the same boat as you! Except I still take the narcotics. After the first surgery in 2004 I was down to 1 maybe 2 Vicodin a day. After the second and third surgeries the pain level has increased. My pain management doctor has said I have all three types of pain. Nerve pain, mechanical pain, and structure pain. I just had my 8 month check up following my last surgery this past May. I am finally standing erect and not falling forward anymore. But now I am going in to have an EMG done on my upper extremities to see why my hands are going numb. It's not carpal tunnel. That nerve is only mildly impinged. I will also be getting x-rays of my neck done to make sure everything is okay there. My pain management dr has said that I will problably always have pain. Our poor bodies were twisted for so long that no matter how straight they get our bones to look, I'm afraid there has probably been to much tissue damage done. I keep telling my husband that as he ages and starts to fall forward and walk bent over like I was, I'll be walking straight as a board and probably flying higher than a kite!
              Last edited by Theresa; 01-28-2008, 09:09 PM.
              Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
              Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
              Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
              Fused T2 to sacrum
              June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
              MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Pam - Tylenol does nothing for me either. This no-drugs-pre-surgery business sucks.
                FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

I couldn't have said it better feliciafeliciafelicia ...

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

Thank you, ladies.

The overriding feeling I have that I wish I DIDN'T have (aside from pain) is that I am afraid of my spine....fearful of injuring it. I think I may be losing perspective on things and may take a break from the Forum for a while, as it has been feeding my fears and worries lately.
                    Chris

Comment

Oh, Chris - Don't be sad - big hugs coming your way!
                      FeliciaFeliciaFelicia

Comment

Hang in there, Chris!

I'm so sorry you are feeling so discouraged! I'm about a month ahead of you and it keeps getting better--just slowly. My pain is ok, but maybe my arthritis medicine (voltaren) is helping block some. I don't know. I just get a little achey when I overdo... but haven't had to take any pain med for awhile, or anything else except for occasional headaches.

Try to remember how far you've come and that this takes longer than we imagined, even if we were informed of it. I knew it would be 1-2 years, but still thought I'd be doing more by now. But I try to feel content with the progress I've made thus far, although sometimes it is frustrating/a little disappointing. As far as being afraid of injuring your spine, I THINK that's normal-- hence the thread I started yesterday about how come rods break... It is scary, especially when we read about people going on 4th and 5th surgeries, etc. I just figure we can encourage them and also know that's a possibility that might happen. I'd rather be prepared in that way than have it happen out of the blue and be bewildered by it all. Regardless, the Lord is good and we'll be able to manage "whatever" ... We'll get through this--and you are a strong person to have gone through the surgery and you ARE on the road to recovery! I'm sending hugs too.
                        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Originally posted by Theresa
                          Chris,

I'm kind of in the same boat as you! Except I still take the narcotics. After the first surgery in 2004 I was down to 1 maybe 2 Vicodin a day. After the second and third surgeries the pain level has increased. My pain management doctor has said I have all three types of pain. Nerve pain, mechanical pain, and structure pain. I just had my 8 month check up following my last surgery this past May. I am finally standing erect and not falling forward anymore. But now I am going in to have an EMG done on my upper extremities to see why my hands are going numb. It's not carpal tunnel. That nerve is only mildly impinged. I will also be getting x-rays of my neck done to make sure everything is okay there. My pain management dr has said that I will problably always have pain. Our poor bodies were twisted for so long that no matter how straight they get our bones to look, I'm afraid there has probably been to much tissue damage done. I keep telling my husband that as he ages and starts to fall forward and walk bent over like I was, I'll be walking straight as a board and probably flying higher than a kite!
                          Hey Theresa, could you empty your inbox, I tried to send a mess but it said your box was full. Thanks
                          CarolS
                          68 degree right lumbar scoliosis, mild kyphosis at L1-2
                          Anterior/Posterior Correction, T8 to Sacrum, Sept 20th, 2007
                          Osteotomy March 20,2008
                          Thrilled with results!

Comment

I exercise in a therapy pool. They keep the water at 90 degrees. It is a great way to exercise and get pain relief at the same time. If you do water walking, walk in chest high water and remember that 10 minutes walking in the pool is the same as 30 minutes walking on land. You can also try a heating pad for pain relief. I take tramadol when my pain is real bad.
                            T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                            2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                            3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                            Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Could it be that the exercises to strengthen your abdominal muscles are irritating your spine /nerves/ hardware?

When i was visiting in England, i consulted my friend's physiotherapist just to get a sort of second opinion. She could not believe the exercises my post-op therapy included. She said most of them were 'generic' sort of exercises intended to keep the lower back supple... NOT something that someone who had fusion to S1 and instrumentation should be doing. I just don't think that many physical therapists have the experience needed to help scoliosis surgery patients.

It has also been my experience that most doctors are suspicious of continuing chronic pain. It's understandable to a degree considering the widespread abuse of pain medicine.... but very disheartening to those of us who have the pain and not many recourses.

Comment

Working...
                              X