Well, I slid down the crapper....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well, I slid down the crapper....

I have had some complications post-op from the hysterectomy and and just now strong enough to pick up the laptop. I became deathly ill Monday with fever and extreme fatigue, and had to be carried in to the doctor's office. I think it is an infection setting up, as I have started responding to the antibiotics. Today, I will limp in to have an IVP done in a couple of hours, and then see the GYN, to see what all of the blood work tell him. I might have to go back in to the hospital. God help me, folks, but, after you have your scoliosis surgery, you will become a "doctor and hospital snob". The care, research and planning that goes into our back surgeries is phenomenal. It is hard NOT to measure the level of care you receive anywhere else, to that standard. I tried to explain to the GYN that i really had to make sure no infection set in and would need extra antibiotics to protect all of the implants in my back. Because, they can't see your reconstructed spine, it's hard to comprehend. Oh well, he is very concerned and wants to make sure he did not nick a bowel or ureter. IT WILL BE OKAY.... Pam and Susie, I saw where you had asked about me, I am SO pleased that you all care about me !! Thanks for letting me vent, I hope to learn some things that will help us scolies cope when these outside issues come along....
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

Great Scott!

So glad to hear from you--but not to hear there were problems! Will be praying that it will all be something relatively simple. Hang in there!
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Dear Crepehanger,

This probably seems like your worst nightmare coming true! Thankfully, you are an effective advocate for your care, and you have obviously developed a well thought out course of action. So sorry, though, that you have to deal with all of this. I know all of us are anxious to hear that the nasty bugs are totally knocked out by the antibiotics without taking too much of a further toll on you. Good Luck and hang in there!

Linda W.
      Linda
      Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
      S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
      Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
      Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Bless your heart!!! I will be thinking of you and wishing you the best, speediest, easiest recovery ever!! Don't be afraid to speak up if you are worried about any infection or anything else. Those people get paid really well to make sure you are okay!!

Hugs....JoAnn

Comment

Glad to "hear your voice", Lisa ...

Lisa, I know many were concerned about you, I just happen to have no life right now - and am posting like a maniac. Plus, I made checking on you a task on my to-do list - LMAO. Really.

(Someone told me yesterday I was forgetting stuff as soon as I added stuff, and that's dead on ... hence "THE LIST" ;-)

The most important thing I've learned about this list is never doubt someone cares. Granted, we may be most akin to a large dysfunctional family at times, but, hell, we put the FUN in dysfunctional! - LOL!

We all have things that keep us from posting (shyness, etc.), posting as nicely as we should at times (pain, recovery, stress, petty spats caused by "less nice" posts), and miscellaneous other issues that make us unavailable to carry our own worries, much less shoulder anyone else's.

Oh, and not to mention, we all deal with LIFE (outside scoli ... what a concept ;-).

We may not always agree, we may not think we have a *thing* in common with someone else, we may be easily offended by something one day and not the next.

I know I've said some nasty - and I'm sure hurtful - things on this list, and when it's a better day, I do try to make amends.

All of us are fellow warriors against a common enemy, and I am so proud of the courage displayed, and the dynamic at work here. When one is down, the others with a little extra energy to expend that day pull them along until they can walk on their own.

On any given day, ANY of us could be the pull-ee - or the pull-er.

Yeah, I'm feeling sappy today (does it show - LOL)?

Lisa, hang in there, babe ... they'll get things straightened out. Take good care of yourself, hear?

Hugs to all,
          Pam
          Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
          AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
          Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
          Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
          EMAIL ME

Comment

Oh jeeze, Lisa!! How scary! I certainly hope you don't have to go back into the hospital and please feel better soon!

Best wishes,
            Chris
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hang in there and best of luck. I'll be thinking of you in your recovery.

Best,
              Anya
              "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
              Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
              19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

You folks are worth your weight in gold!

Thanks again to all of you, as you can see from the sheer number of posts I've made today, I am doing better. You all make me feel as though I can get through anything! God bless...
                Lisa age 47
                T curve 69 degrees
                L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
                fused to from T-3 to sacrum
                anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
                pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Working...
                X