Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Long Before Back to Norm?

Hello Everyone,

My daughter’s surgery is scheduled for March 17 and I am trying to gauge how long she will be out of school. The doctor says kids typically rebound pretty fast after surgery and that most can go back to school three weeks after surgery. However, I’ve talked to a couple of parents and they said their kids did return to school after three weeks, but it was only for one class and gradually their children built up their school time over subsequent weeks. One parent said it took eight weeks for her daughter to return to her full time school schedule, the other parent said 10 weeks.

So here are my questions: How long was your child out of school and when they did return, was it for a full day? If your child returned to school on a partial schedule how long did it take for him/her to be able to last the full school day?

Also, I know many surgeries are done in summer when school is out, so my question to those parents is: How many weeks after surgery was it before your child felt like he/she could return to their normal daily routine?

Thank you!
    ca-native (daughter had surgery)

Hi Elaine,

My daughter's doctor told her she could go back to school 1/2 days at 3 1/2 weeks post-op. However, since that was the start of Christmas break, she didn't return until she was about 4 1/2 weeks post-op. By 6 weeks, she was back in school full time. Jamie was off all prescription pain meds within two weeks after surgery. Please know that Jamie has a very high tolerance for pain and she wanted to miss as little school as possible. I was very comfortable sending her back to school when we did.

Some kids just aren't ready to go back to school for a long time. Don't be surprised if she needs pain meds for a while. Trust your instincts. You know your child best and you'll know when she is ready to go back. Good luck.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

My son's doctor said 6-8 weeks. From May 16 that got us into the summer break. I know he could have gone back for short, say 1 hour, stints at 3-4 weeks. But he couldn't have done it without taking a pillow with him to lean against and he would have been mortified to be seen with a pillow at school. He was doing school work at home and even wrote a couple exams at home and at about 5 weeks went into school to write a couple of his shorter exams (without a pillow but it was hard). When he went back to school in September at 3 1/2 months the first couple full days really exhausted him and he commented that he didn't know how people could go back to school just a few weeks after surgery when he felt this way 3 months later. He did quickly get his stamina back though. The other thing he found hard was the bus ride especially the bumpy country roads so I drove him to and from school until he was about 6 months post op. Hope this helps and good luck.
      Ramona
      mom of Patrick, age 15 at time of surgery
      diagnosed July 2006 curves T58 L 38

Nov. 2006 curves T72 L38
      also lordoscoliosis

feb.2007 curves T79 L43

Surgery May 16 2007
      fused T4 to L1

Comment

Scoliboymom,
        I laughed at your comment about Patrick being mortified to be seen with a pillow in school. My son is the same way! Not in a million years would he consider bringing one. He'd rather suffer in silence!

Elaine,
        Our surgeon said 4-6 weeks. Chris is currently 4 weeks post op and although he is completely off pain meds and is feeling good, I don't think he is ready to return to school yet. Not even part time. His tutor was here yesterday for 2 hours and he was completely exhausted when she left. His stamina hasn't completely returned. After walking around a store for about 30 minutes he wanted to leave because he was tired and his back hurt. Everybody is different though. However, I must admit, Chris is in no hurry to return to school and has told us that he plans on milking it As long as he is keeping up with his school work, I don't plan on rushing him back. It's a huge surgery and these kids go through a lot. Of course, I am a stay at home Mom too so that is also a factor. I don't have to rush back to work. Like Mary Lou said, trust your instincts.

Best of luck to you. Keep us posted!
        Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
        Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
        Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Lori,

Ditto here - I had to laugh at your comment too because I had those exact thoughts reading Ramona's post...

Elaine,

Like the others said, it varies from kid to kid. My son returned to school about 4 1/2 weeks post-op. He was off all pain meds except for an occasional tylenol. The first day he only lasted an hour or two (I think too much unwanted attention) from then on he went back full days, even staying after for chess club and academic team. I was really surprised, but I know he pushed himself in part because he wanted to keep up with academics and try to get back to as normal a routine as possible. He would come home exhausted though, and would take a good 2-3 hour nap when he got home.

There is a woman I talk to who's daughter had surgery Dec. 12th. Just this past week she has tried returning to school, going to 1 or 2 classes a day. It has been a bit much for her so she may stay home the next couple of days and try a full day next week.

Renee

Comment

My daughter's surgery was on Dec 5, 2007 and she was back to school full time on Jan 7, 2008, right after winter break.

She did take a pillow to school and she still does have it there and uses it every day for comfort. I offered to buy her a better chair (the kind she has to sit in has the back support in an area that bothers her rib hump) but she thought a special chair would be more embarrassing than a pillow.

She's in Grade 7. If she was in high school, I can imagine she wouldn't want to take the pillow either.

Comment

Originally posted by ca-native
              Hello Everyone,

My daughter’s surgery is scheduled for March 17 and I am trying to gauge how long she will be out of school. The doctor says kids typically rebound pretty fast after surgery and that most can go back to school three weeks after surgery. However, I’ve talked to a couple of parents and they said their kids did return to school after three weeks, but it was only for one class and gradually their children built up their school time over subsequent weeks. One parent said it took eight weeks for her daughter to return to her full time school schedule, the other parent said 10 weeks.

So here are my questions: How long was your child out of school and when they did return, was it for a full day? If your child returned to school on a partial schedule how long did it take for him/her to be able to last the full school day?

Also, I know many surgeries are done in summer when school is out, so my question to those parents is: How many weeks after surgery was it before your child felt like he/she could return to their normal daily routine?

Thank you!
              Hi,
              My daughter's surgery was 2/5 and she is just getting to the point at 3 weeks post op where she is ready to start with her tutors at home. She is only taking meds a couple of times a day, but I would imagine that she will not be ready to go back till 5 or 6 weeks post op. Even if they are not in much pain, they are still exhausted from the procedure. I will probably have her start on half days. Doctor also suggested starting her on a Wednesday so she doesn't have to go a full week at first.

- Michele
              Samsmom
              Mom to Samantha, Age 17

64 Degree Thoracic Curve
              42 Degree Lumbar Curve
              Fused T-4 to L-2
              Yale New Haven
              2/5/08

Comment

Pillows

And *I'm" laughing at the pilllow issues because I wish like hell I'd carried one to my post op visit yesterday - LOL. (I won't be making that mistake again, and yes ... I understand teen hesitance. I'm old though - LOL ... I can be different and really not give a ^*%& ;-).

WHY is it that back surgeon's waiting rooms are ONLY filled with solid wooden backed chairs??? (OMG, I was worn out from leaning forward to keep from touching the chair back ... my hardware is riiiiiiiiiiiiight there under the skin).

More than anything, I wished I'd had it cab ride!
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

Pam:
                  Sorry I cut you off from our phone call yesterday. You were telling me about the wooden chairs, and I didn't get a chance to tell you my pet peeve. To get to my surgeon's office, I park in handicapped parking, then cross an access road, then walk through a courtyard and into a large office building, then take the elevator to the 10th floor to finally get to his office. Every time I go there I ponder why a doctor who treats people with back problems would choose such a location?! Fortunately, he does have comfortable chairs and I never have to wait long once I get there. Good thing I like the guy!
                  FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
                  10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
                  8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
                  5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
                  2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
                  3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Hi Elaine,

Elysia is two weeks post-op and if I could trust the kids at school not to bump or push her or touch her back then I feel she could return to school for 1/2 days. There is no way I will return her though until we see our Surgeon on 31st March for the all clear with the fusion. I personally don't think it's worth the risk - so long as they are happy to keep up with the majority of the school work at home and you can get the time off work to care for them (and tutor - ahhhh teachers should be paid more! We get zero home help here in Australia from the schools so it has to be the parents).

Also although not in much pain at all - Yesterday Elysia wanted to go shopping for her B'day - after 30 minutes she had to sit down and have a rest - after another 30 minutes she said "Let's go". That's a big thing for a girl who just "LOVES SHOPPING". I carried the pillow around for her in bag and walked behind so no-one would bump or touch her back!!! Maybe I should have walked in front with a basket of rose petals that I scattered on the ground for her to walk on as she paraded through the stores! Might as well as she's getting treated like a princess!!!! One of her friends who came for dinner last night brought her a Tiara as a present!!!! Oh well, what they go through - they deserve to be treated like Princesses for awhile (only awhile - don't get any ideas kid!)

Pillows - I was looking on the net prior to surgery for a suitable pillow that Elysia could use at school and I found this one www.backcarebasics.com/corflex. It is a blow up pillow (small) that slips over the back of the chair and flexes with the shape of the back. It looked good and less conspicuous (sp?) than a big bed pillow. I thought it might be ideal for school?? (Don't know without trying).

Good luck with your daughter's surgery.

xx
                    Del
                    Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                    Sydney - Australia
                    Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                    Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                    Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                    L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Del,
                      I have the bigger (blue) back pillo and absolutely LOVE it! I keep one in my desk chair at home, and one in the car (and use it at school as well). I would recommend the full size back pillo over just the lumbar roll so that it supports the whole of the lower back and not just a portion of it. I really appreciate being able to place the pillow where I need it and fill it with just the right amount of air for me (since I am definatly not made from the "normal" mold).
                      If Elyssa does not want to be seen carrying a pillow around school, she could put it in a little drawstring backpack and just put the backpack on the back of the chair. No one would ever know what was in it, and she would only need to take it out if she had to adjust the air in the pillo (which she could do at home, the nurses office or in the restroom if necessary).
                      If you have any questions about the back pillo just ask. I have had mine for a couple years, and take it everywhere with me.

Comment

thanks curvy - I can't get the one you guys have available in the States and am trying to track a supplier here in Aus. I'm sure I'll find one otherwise I'll contact the company in the states and see if I can purchase through paypal or something similar. Good to know that it works well!!!!

cheers
                        Del
                        Elysia 16 in Feb 2010
                        Sydney - Australia
                        Feb 2008 Fused T5-L1 and 5 ribs removed.
                        Dec 2009 - Crankshafting
                        Dec 10 - Revision surgery...3 vertebrae taken down, hooks removed, at T11-L1 - screws inserted, fusion extended down to
                        L3 using Pedicle screws, some rib removed to try to derotate. Praying for things to settle.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiemum
                          thanks curvy - I can't get the one you guys have available in the States and am trying to track a supplier here in Aus. I'm sure I'll find one otherwise I'll contact the company in the states and see if I can purchase through paypal or something similar. Good to know that it works well!!!!

cheers
                          Del
                          I would be happy to order it and send it to you. I'll order one for my daughter at the same time.

sharon
                          Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                          Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Del,

Thank you for that laugh this morning. When I read your post about sprinkling rose petals for your princess, I just enjoyed that so much. These kids deserve the royal treatment. I told Nicole I am spoiling her for one full year because that is how long it takes to fully recover. I hope I can stop myself after that year is over.

I could kick myself for not knowing about that inflatable pillow when Nicole first went back. She had a regular pillow in middle school and feared one day she would be referred to as "pillow girl." But she didn't care. She wanted to be comfortable. Then after a couple of weeks, someone on Spinekids told us about the little inflatable one and it was amazing. You only put a tiny bit of air in it. We put it in a drawstring bag and she hung it over her chair. I believe it was from a different company. But what an amazing thing for our kids.
                            Melissa
                            From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                            Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiemum
                              Pillows - I was looking on the net prior to surgery for a suitable pillow that Elysia could use at school and I found this one www.backcarebasics.com/corflex. It is a blow up pillow (small) that slips over the back of the chair and flexes with the shape of the back. It looked good and less conspicuous (sp?) than a big bed pillow. I thought it might be ideal for school?? (Don't know without trying).
                              Hey, Del ...

I checked out the site, and I assume this is the one you're talking about? I think I'm ordering one today to try out!

At least that way, you can have someone in the States test drive it and avoid some shipping and handling charges ;-). Thanks for the tip ... I'm still creeped over the hardware on hard surfaces (although the bathtub is sloped enough it doesn't bother me ... for some reason *that* actually feels GOOD!).

I'll let you know how the pillow works!

Regards,
                              Pam
                              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
                              X