Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Physical Therapy

Hello my friends

I was wondering about how long do you go for physical therapy? I had a prescription to go for 3x a week for 4 weeks. Does that seem to be average. I am finished with it now because everything that I did there...I can do at home. I must admit though that I have been slacking with doing it at home...shame on me. I do walk on the treadmill a little bit. I do not walk too fast, just a nice pace for about 15 - 20 minutes. Has everybody that has had surgery get a referral for PT?
    A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
    T2 to Sacrum
    Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
    Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
    Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
    Now, 59 yrs young :-)

I'm curious because my surgeon hasn't mentioned PT post op. Is this generally the case?

(Laff ... I've done more than my fair share of quality time with Physical Terrorists between knee and ankle blow outs ...)

I gathered (from a few I talk to privately here, and my surgeon) this is a surgery where you *live* rehab ...

Pam
    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
    EMAIL ME

Comment

I've had physical therapy sessions many times over the years, both before my first surgery and after each surgery (except this one). Three times a week for 4 weeks is about average, in my experience. I recall once asking my doctor for a second prescription to go for another 4 weeks. One good thing about the therapy is that it provides some discipline because you have a scheduled appointment. My current surgeon is the conservative exception - he hasn't wanted me to do anything except walking yet. It's a little tough for me to hold off because I feel I lost everything I gained last year from 7 months with a $personal trainer$.
      FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
      10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
      8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
      5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
      2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
      3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Hi Deb!
        McNulty ordered 3x a week at 4 weeks for me on one prescription and then the same thing on another presciption. I just seen him last week for my 6 week post op, so i'm going to wait until the holidays are over to call it all in. Where did you end up going? I'm gonna check out Desesrt Valley Therapy near Rainbow and Russell. That's where they take my insurance. I also go back to work on 1/14.

What did they have you work on?
        -----------------
        Jane

34 yrs old
        Diagnosed at 12; Boston Brace for a year; ScoliTron for 3 months. Curves left untreated after 13 yrs old until 27yrs old.
        Pre-Op Upper Curve: 49; Post-Op: 14
        Pre-Op Lower Curve: 51; Post-Op: 18
        Posterior Reconstruction from T2-L3 on Oct 22, 2007
        Dr McNulty - UMC Hospital

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

I'm just finishing up with PT. My doctor had prescribed 6-8 weeks-- but I'm not sure he would have prescribed any if I hadn't explained that I couldn't just get down by squatting, etc. He said walking was the best thing for my back... The PT is for strengthening my arms and legs. I'm about to the point where I can do it at home and don't need to go there, but will miss being there. Doing the leg presses, etc., on their "total gym" can't be duplicated at home, and I know that has helped my legs a lot. Oh well. I agree that it really helps to go use their equipment and guidance and be in a routine. I've been really good about doing the "at home" exercises as requested by my pt therapist each day, up until my family all descended on the 24th and it's been crazy here. I'll get back into the routine after the air clears a little...
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

I had 4 months of physical therapy for temporary nerve damage that left me with an extremely weak and painful right leg. PT brought my leg back to about 70 percent; the rest will come back with time and as much walking as I can handle (which is a lot). PT saved my butt!! It was also a great way to get out of the house and be around people and to laugh when all I really felt like doing was sitting around the house feeling sorry for myself.

I highly recommend PT post-op. Even if everything goes well, everyone loses muscle tone, and the sooner you can get your legs in shape (for all the squatting we have to do), the better.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

At 4 months post-op, I requested PT for lower back stiffness that was not going away with everyday activities. I went 2-3 times per week for 6 weeks and felt great afterwards. Like another poster here said, the exercise becomes a part of your lifestyle. I never liked working out, and after finishing PT, I didn't do anything for 3 months and boy did I feel it! That's when I decided to make it part of my lifestyle. I didn't have access to all of the equipment needed to continue all of the exercises at home, but I was able to keep up with most of them (stationary bike, eliptical, squats while holding onto a large stick and ab exercises).

Comment

My daughter's pt was to sit in a chair and walk up and down steps in the hospital. She had no pt after she went home.
                T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
                2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
                3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
                Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

It does seem as though I should do some pt at home which I do but I do not do as much as I should. What I really enjoy most is the treadmill. And walking seems to be excellent for you. My doc cannot express enough at how much walking is good for oneself. I have done walking while I am out shopping, such as the malls or grocery shopping. I figure that has to be some form of exercise

Jane...Do you really think that you're ready to go back to work so soon? He has me going back Feb.1st which to me seems too soon for me. But who knows how i'll feel in a month from now.I have not heard of Desert Valley. I go to Tom Brooks PT, and I never heard of them before now either. I should see if they (Desert Valley) take my insurance. It's not too far from where I live. That would be cool if we got to have therapy at the same place. They had me do some pool therapy which was nice. My neck is kinda stiff so they had me do some isometrics for that. Then I do the marching in place and pulling my toes towards me for a good stretch and etc. My doc ordered the same for me as far as how many times a week. My soreness is in my neck and arms mostly. Although my legs and feet get tired easily. Does that happen to you or anyone here???
                  Last edited by DebbieM; 12-26-2007, 11:53 PM.
                  A/P Surgery Oct.15 and 18, 2007
                  T2 to Sacrum
                  Pre-surgery 56* T 60* L
                  Post-surgery 28* T 30* L
                  Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai Hospital
                  Bevery Hills, CA

Debbie, age 51 at surgery.
                  Now, 59 yrs young :-)

Comment

Deb - i have a sit-down/computer job. All i do is sit down at home anyways...on the computer most of the time . I have to go back then because my FMLA ends at that time. Since i've been out, there have been 3 layoffs in my department. I was one of the lucky ones. More time off would just make me feel more guilty - I could take vacation and pto time off if i need too. Plus, with the therapy 3x a week - they'll probably let me work a flex week. Now, if i had your job... i don't think i would be back at work so soon...
                    I feel ya girl...

I have an elliptical machine in my room and i got on it today for the first time for 10 minutes (almost 2 miles). My thighs were burning afterwards. I've also driven twice this week - short distances... I don't feel comfortable reversing out of my driveway or out of a parking space though. I drive a caravan too - and the emergency brake is low to the ground...which was a bit difficult to release because i have to bend to my left and then pull it .

I'm looking forward to some therapy finally!
                    Last edited by dajanerz; 12-27-2007, 01:52 AM.
                    -----------------
                    Jane

34 yrs old
                    Diagnosed at 12; Boston Brace for a year; ScoliTron for 3 months. Curves left untreated after 13 yrs old until 27yrs old.
                    Pre-Op Upper Curve: 49; Post-Op: 14
                    Pre-Op Lower Curve: 51; Post-Op: 18
                    Posterior Reconstruction from T2-L3 on Oct 22, 2007
                    Dr McNulty - UMC Hospital

Las Vegas, NV

Comment

Working...
                    X