Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scoliosis Scholarships?

Hey everyone,
    I'm a 22 year old female college student who was braced from ages 6-13, then had spinal fusion at age 13...two rods in back. Anyways, I was wondering if there are any scholarships out there for scoliosis patients or for those who have had "the surgery" to help correct it. If anyone knows ANYTHING, I would greatly appreciate hearing any info. I did my own search on the internet but didn't find much at all. Thanks again!

--Julie

I am also looking for this type of scholarship. If there isn't one there should be.

Comment

Hi Julie...

I heard a rumor about a scholarship for people with scoliosis about 5 years ago. I did a lot of research and could not find evidence of anything. If you do find something, I hope you'll let us all know.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

scoliosis scholarships

Hi,

When I was in college I lived in New York State and went to a SUNY college. I received a scholarship from the state of NY because of my scoliosis. It paid for my tuition (to a SUNY school only). It has been so many years ago (30+) that I can not remember the details, except that my mother had found this source. My mother is 85 now, so I don't know if she'll remember any of the details, but I'll try to ask her.

Rachel

Comment

Hi,

I found this old thread and thought it might be of interest to some people. Does anyone know if any scoliosis scholarships have become available within the past couple of years? Sure would be nice............

Renee

Comment

I have been looking myself and can not find ANYTHING!!! Somebody should start one. There are so many people who have it. I find everything for african americans, hispanics, asians, pacific islanders, etc. and I think they are all great, but so many people apply for all of those. You can get scholarships through all your parents companies and the such, but nothing for scoli...COME ON!!! I guess I will keep lookin.

Comment

scoli scholarships

Thats impressive that someone found a scholarship. I also am from NY and went to Binghamton Univ (a SUNY school). I also hav 2 rods, fushion, etc., and I definately didn't receive any financial assistance from it. I am applying for grad school for the fall, and ive never found anything for us unique and deserving scoli students.....haha....good luck everyone.
              Stephanie

Comment

You scoli kids are unique and most definitely deserving.....hopefully one day something will become available. I agree with Mandy that one should be started but what all does it take (besides the obvious $$$) for something like that to become a reality?

Good wishes to those on your college journey.

Renee

Comment

I too have diligently been looking for scholarships for my scoliosis. I have NOT had surgory yet and i have two 42 degree curves. The only scholarships i have found are for those wanting or who are attending ASU(Arizona State University) or others that are located in Arizona. Also this is a little off topic but i was wondering, are there any hospitals that financially help patients get surgeory. Mine was supposed to have been schedualed for December of 06' but my brother has reacently been in an accident and need immediate care. My family is confused as to how we will afford the operation. If you have any info please let me know.
                  Shayne

Comment

My son (NOT the one with scoli) is a freshman in college (St. John's University in NY). I remember his HS guidance counsellor giving him a very large book that listed various scholarships (none of which happened to apply to us). However, as someone mentioned, there were scholarships for various minorities, folks from certain countries, islands, as well as some very obscure ones (i.e., left-handed farmers from Idaho, - LOL!)

There should definitely be one for scoli kids - hopefully by the time my third grader (he's the one with scoli) is applying to college there will be something!
                    mariaf305@yahoo.com
                    Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                    Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Shayne,

Are you 18 or younger? Shriner's could help you, if you are.

Melissa
                      Melissa
                      From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
                      Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Melissa and Shayne,

I can't believe I missed that post about someone needing surgery who was concerned about the financial burden (thanks, Melissa!).

Shayne - if you are 18 or younger, I would strongly recommend making an appt. at your closest Shriners Hospital. You will receive amazingly excellent care and not be charged a penny.

good luck,
                        mariaf305@yahoo.com
                        Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                        Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

I have never heard of this type of scholarship either, but if there is not one, there should be. If there is one, how in the world do I get one?

Comment

aww still nothing?

I am currently in the Anaheim area and can't find any scholarships as well

I haven't had surgery,but have a Spinecor brace with 65 T and 45 L curves, but i for one believe that the pain involved in the disease that hasn't been researched enough now a days is enough for a scholarship.

Cmon some 1 find a sponsor! I'LL help!

Comment

Nothing yet

Hello all,
                              Funny, I started this thread a few years ago and now am returning again. I obtained my bachelor's degree in Art/Photography but am returning to school (vocational program at a private school) to become an LVN and eventually RN. Alas, I am STILL looking for scholarships that encompass the scoliosis realm and have found nothing. Has anyone ever considered or applied for scholarships that are for people with general "disabilities?" I hesitate in doing that, only b/c I feel healthy and live my life on a daily basis as a normal "healthy" human being. I am 26 and was braced from ages 6-13, then had spinal fusion. I did sports in high school, but have rods in my back and of course have some limited bending ability. I decided to pursue a career in nursing b/c my mom is a nurse and also, with my background in scoliosis and being in and out of doctors' offices and hospitals over my lifetime (not recently, praise the Lord) I've felt a calling to discover my reason for having scoliosis and figuring out how I and others can benefit from me having this. I feel like I have an empathetic nature and love to help people and would be able to relate to patients as a nurse who has been a patient herself AND gone through major surgery. I am a person who is HUGE on discovering what my purpose is for this lifetime and figuring out why God created me this way and figuring out what I'm going to do about it. Heck, I'd write an essay about it if there was someone offering money for me for a scholarship to pay for my nursing school...haha....anyone?

Comment

Working...
                              X