Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stapling Article

Hi,
    My son is going to be having VBS (stapling) surgery this coming Monday at Boston Children's Hospital with Dr. Hresko & Dr. Betz. I wanted to share this article with anyone who may be interested in learning more about the surgery. The article from the Cape Cod Times features my son & explains VBS:

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pb...LIFE/712060301

Article link

I will post back next week to let you know how it goes.
    Thanks,
    Cara

Mom to Nathan - 38 degrees - Diagnosed 8/07 - Boston Brace - VBS 12/10/07
    Cara, Mom to Nathan
    Diagnosed 24 deg. in July 2007, progressed to 38 deg. by August 2007
    Boston Back Brace 8/07 – 12/07
    VBS 12/10/07 Boston Children's Hospital
    Dr. Hresko
    40 Degrees before VBS
    11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

www.vertebralstapling.com

Hi Cara,

nice to see you here too. Good luck to you and Nate. You are in our prayers!!

Stephanie
    Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
    10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
    07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
    12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
    2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
    3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

Hi Cara,

I'm glad to see you posted the article here. Every time I read it I get goosebumps because, as I told you, it was an article EXACTLY like this one which was how I found out about the stapling, and ultimately pursued it for David. Otherwise I would not have known anything about it. (Back in 2003, when the article I first read was published, there was not too much talk about stapling nor where there as many places to go for information - at least not that I knew of). So I think articles like this do a great service to parents.

And of course, you know I am wishing Nathan and your family all the best on Monday. He will be in my prayers. Please send word as soon as it is over.

Hugs,
      mariaf305@yahoo.com
      Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
      Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

I am going to ask this at some stage, so might as well do it now; which "professional" involved in the whole process would I email to get further information and discus suitability of my daughter "just in case"....???

Comment

Hi Cara,

Thanks so much for sharing the details; we all learn from you. With my best wishes to Nathan and your family.

Regards,
          Patty

Comment

Originally posted by gerbo
            I am going to ask this at some stage, so might as well do it now; which "professional" involved in the whole process would I email to get further information and discus suitability of my daughter "just in case"....???
            Hi Gerbo,

I can't believe you missed ALL my postings on that topic - LOL!

It would be Janet Cerrone - jcerrone@shrinenet.org -

just in case

hopefully you never need it
            mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

didn't miss them, never looked at them......

what is her function?

gerbo

Comment

Janet is the Physician's Assistant to Dr. Betz and the entire spine team at Shriners. (She's quoted several times in the article which was posted). Janet has been involved with the stapling since its inception and she often makes the PRELIMINARY evaluation on whether one might be a candidate.
                mariaf305@yahoo.com

Comment

thank you

gerbo

Comment

Nate Home & Doing Well

Nate's surgery went very well, his curve was reduced from 38 to 19 degrees, 7 staples were placed T5 - T12. He is home recovering & getting around really well. He will be limited in activities for a month or so, but looks forward to being back to hockey and going snowboarding in 4-6 weeks. He is very happy - NO MORE BRACE!
                    We were very pleased with our experience at Boston Children's Hospital and Dr. Hresko was excellent!
                    Cara, Mom to Nathan
                    Dr. Hresko
                    40 Degrees before VBS
                    11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

Comment

Cara:

Glad to hear all went well with the stapling and that Nate is home now. It is wonderful what the doctors are able to do now. Is there a big scar from the surgery?

Ruth
                      Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Hi Ruth,
                        To be honest, I can't see the scars yet, but I understand that there are 3 small incisions (1 in. or so) and 1 from the chest tube. His are still covered with gauze and tape which I wont remove until next Friday. I have heard from other parents that the scars become almost invisible as the kids grow, plus his are under his armpit, and down along his side where his arm hangs, so they wont be very visible anyhow.
                        -Cara
                        Cara, Mom to Nathan
                        Dr. Hresko
                        40 Degrees before VBS
                        11 Degrees now!! (2012)

Nathan's VBS Video

Comment

Cara--

I have been thinking of Nate all week, and am so glad to hear he is doing well. Please continue to let us know how he's doing when you can.

I have a few questions--how long does a VBS procedure take? Also, once you knew he qualified, how long was it until the actual surgery?

No rush on this--I know you have a lot going.

Mary Ellen

Comment

Cara:

That is really nice that there is no big scar and the small ones will be well hidden. When the staples come out it will (hopefully) all be over for your son and he can carry on with his life without worrying about scoliosis.

Your son must have been so excited when he was in the newspaper article. A little reward for his surgery.

I kind of think we missed the boat on the stapling for our daughter Esme although I am tempted to contact the doctors to make sure. Her curves are pretty advanced so they would probably refuse to staple at this stage. We did ask her orthopaedic doctor about it but he said it was only used on legs or on much younger children. Foolish of me to trust him and not to have pushed harder for a proper answer.

It makes me happy to think of your son not having to wear a brace and that he can live a "normal" life with his peers enjoying the things he likes to do without restrictions or discomfort.

Ruth
                            Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Cara,

Awesome to know Nate is doing so well!! I wish him a speedy recovery which he seems to be well into already!!

Mary Ellen,

My daughter was first seen by Dr Asghar at Shriners on November 2nd, I think, may have been the 3rd. She is having her surgery this Wednesday, Decembar 19th. Michela has a single thoracic-lumbar curve. I was told her surgery would take about 4 hours. Recovery in the hospital is 4 to 6 days on average. Hopefully we will be home for Christmas!!

Stephanie
                              Mom to Michela ~age 12 ~VBS @ age 9 - 12/19/07 26* to 1*
                              10/8/08 ~ curve is immeasurable!!
                              07/16/09 ~ a few degrees overcorrected... being monitored
                              12/28/09 ~ 14* overcorrected to the right
                              2/23/10 ~ 12* overcorrected
                              3/12/10 ~ Boston Brace at night to prevent further overcorrection. In brace corrects to -8*

Comment

Working...
                              X