Not related to scoliosis but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not related to scoliosis but...

I need to warn all dog owners. If you are using a retractable leash, I would suggest throwing it out immediately! I'm talking about the ones that are made out of nylon and are about 1/4-1/2" wide. There is a warning on the leash about possible injury--"cutting hazard and amputation hazard."

I am sitting here typing this one handed because I was seriously injured by this type of leash yesterday. Sorry to be so grafic, but the top of my hand looked like it had been filleted. The leash sliced open the top of my hand from my ring finger clear over to between my thumb and index finger. It required 19 stitches to close the wound and I was told I will have a nasty scar, but I am very thankful that it wasn't worse--no tendons or ligaments were cut--which was a big concern. Also, I thank God that if this had to happen, I'm so glad it happened to me and not to one of my daughters.

Mary Lou
    Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

I'm so sorry to hear about your injury Mary Lou!!! Thanks for the warning, I've often thought of getting one. If they are that dangerous, they shouldn't even be on the market. I've seen many people, children included, using those. The manufacturer should have a recall on those and redesign something safer.

Renee

Comment

Sending lots of healing vibes to you. I can't even imagine how that feels. I hope they are wrong and that the wound will heal better than expected. How frightening for you and anyone around you when it happened. Thanks for letting us know.
      Carmell
      mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Mary Lou,
        Although I don't own a dog, my parents do and I plan on warning them about this as soon as I get off the computer. I'm so sorry that you had to find out first hand (no pun intended) just how dangerous these leashes can be!! Feel better soon!!

Big hugs,
        Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
        Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
        Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Mary Lou,

I am so sorry you were hurt. I hope you feel better real soon.
          Melissa
          From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
          Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Who could imagine something like that happening? The scary thing is someone must have had an amputation to put a warning like that on there.
            Take care, I hope you heal soon. Guess you won't have to do dishes for a while.

Comment

Thanks for the warning. We have always used the old fashioned leather leash with our golden retriever, Shadow. I have often wondered about getting one of the retractable leashes - they looked like fun for the dog - we definitely won't now. Probably wouldn't have worked too well with a 68 pound dog on the end of it anyway!!

I wonder how many other people this has happened to. Hope you feel better soon.

Ruth
              Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Thank you for your kind words. I'm not too worried about a scar--maybe it will be a good "show and tell" item since as you can tell already, I'll be warning/showing everyone how dangerous these leashes can be.

It makes me wonder how many other people have been injured. I wish I had taken pictures in the O.R. to send to the manufacturer. I will probably send them pictures with the stitches even though it won't be as affective.

NO WASHING DISHES! I hate washing dishes anyhow, but my poor girls. See, I just started washing dishes again recently and now I can't again. I had surgery on my right hand 4 weeks ago and have only had the bandage off of that for 2 weeks! No, I didn't cut my right hand, so my left is totally out of commission and the right hand is only working at about 1/2 capasity.

Again, thank you for your wonderful words of encouragement.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Yikes, Snoopy ...

I use one of these tape leashes walking my dog, and of course paid no attention to any warnings on the package (who'd a thunk it REQUIRED warnings??).

Thanks for bringing this up, and glad nothing major was damaged!

Regards,
                  Pam
                  Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                  AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                  Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                  Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                  EMAIL ME

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about your injury:-( I hope you heal fast and well and without much pain!

If you're interested, here's where you would report your injury (if you're so inclined)...

https://www.cpsc.gov/cgibin/incident.aspx

It's the Consumer Product Safety Commission's consumer reporting website. I'd highly recommend reporting your injury if you have the time and inclination. I don't know if CPS tracks and trends product safety for recall recommendations through this site or not, but someone there is looking at it for something...
                    "The plural of anecdote is not data" --Frank Kotsonis

Ph.D. in Bone Biology
                    Harrington rod and Leuke sublaminar wires 2/1986, fused T4 to T12.
                    First revision 3/1987 fused pseudoarthrosis, placed CD instrumentation from T10-T12.
                    CD instrumentation removal 10/97 following breakage.
                    Leuke wire removal 4/99.
                    Salvage surgery; Harrington removal 1/2000, fused to L2.
                    Ruptured disc, fusion extension to L4 3/2016.
                    Surgeons: David Bradford, Francois Denis, Mike Lagrone

Comment

Working...
                    X