Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upcoming surgery

Hi!
    Im having surgery very soon. Im happy to finally get it over with. I am however somewhat worried about the risk of paralysis. Ive read articles online that it could happen. Can anyone put my mind to ease on how they deal with this issue. Also if anyone has heard of this happening as well. Thanks a bunch.
    Annie

My daughters surgeon told us about the risk, but said that it is very very rare for that to happen. Simply put (some else may be able to explain in more detail if you need) they put monitors on you. These keep an eye on your spinal cord. Our surgeon said that if they 'go off', show any problem, what they would do is 'wake' you up and ask you to move your toes, fingers etc.. to see what had gone on and how much further they could go. Yeah this freaked us out to. But he said that if she did remember it, it would be like a dream, and at no point would she be in danger or pain. Although it is a risk you need to keep positive and try not to think about the worst. That can be hard to do but I believe getting information is the best way to help deal with it. Make sure that you tell your parents and your surgeon how you are feeling. Make sure that they know how worried you are and I'm positive that your surgeon will help put your mind at ease.
    Best of luck.
    Cheryl.

Comment

Thank you so much for replying. Im surprised that im not really that nervous about it. Im a rather controling person. I dont like to leave my life up to someone else. I used to have a hard time flying in airplanes. Reading everyones stories have helped me alot. Ive seen yall talking about epidurals (sp?) do those hurt getting them in your back? I could imagine that would, my mom said that hers didn't hurt when she got one when I was born. Just a question. Thanks and lots of love.
      Annie

Comment

I also had an epidural while in labour with Amber. I don't remember it hurting at all.
        Amber's went in after she was asleep. Everything did. They gave her a pre-med (it was a mouthful a stuff) then took her down and put her off with a mask. She was very frightened of needles, so they used this method so that she wouldn't be scared. All the needles and monitors etc went in/on after she went to sleep. When they took out the epidural, drainage tube and catheter out, Amber said it didn't hurt just felt a bit weird.
        Hope that helps you.
        Best wishes
        Cheryl.
        Last edited by mumof5; 06-14-2004, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Annie - you asked about epidurals. They place the epidural catheter in your spine AFTER you have been sedated. You won't feel a thing. Epidurals are great for pain management. They provide a continuous amount of medication so your body can rest and start recovering in a smooth manner. Ask the surgeon if an epidural is an option for you.

Good luck with the surgery. Let us know if you have more questions.

My best,
          Carmell
          mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

thank you all for your help. I was greated this morning with my mom telling me my surgury has been postponed for another month. It was supposed to be tomorrow, now its on July 20th. Im very angry. I was completly prepared to go and get it done, now I have to wait around for another month. My curve is very weird and they were going to to anterior and posterior, but my doctor just decided this the other day. Evedently you need a general surgeon to do this kind and one isnt available until July 20th. The bad part is that my grandmother drove 6 hours to get here to help my parents out, and she doesnt even know its cancelled because the doctors called after she had left. Anyways, there is always a reason for everything. I'll be back writing again in a couple of weeks when my surgery is going to be (hopefully). Thank you all again. Much love
            Annie

Comment

Annie this happened to us as well. The first date that Amber was given , was cancelled about 4 days before. The second we found out was cancelled about 2 weeks before. Both of these surgeries were supposed to be done in Newcastle, NSW, Australia. That hospital is about a 30 minute drive from where we live. We ended up having to change surgeons and travel to Sydney. Every appointment we had down there was around 8.30 or 9 am so to get there in time we had to leave by 5am. Traffic at that hour of the morning doubles the time it takes to get there. Finally Amber was in the hospital ready for surgery. She had been given the pre-med and the surgeon came and said he wasn't sure if he should do the surgery all through the back or half back and half through the front. Amber's L4 was the problem. He was worried that if they went through the back for the lower half he wouldn't get a good correction and felt the result would be better through the front. We had been given no warning of this and that close to surgery it really panicked us. The surgeon said that if he went through the back and L4 didn't correct well he may have to go to L5 or she may have to have more surgery later on. He ended up deciding to do the whole lot through the back. After the surgery he said to me I'm glad we went that way 'cause we got L4 almost perfectly straight and the other way have been a bigger surgery, longer in hospital and we wouldn't have gotten a better result.
              Amber was upset when the surgeries were cancelled but we both agreed there was a reason behind it. It gave her a lot more time to dwell on everything and also for her back to get a little stiffer. Try not to worry to much. Easy to say I know but it really doesn't help. Use the time to find out all you can, set up your room for coming home, gather things to do.
              What is the reason for them wanting to the surgery this way? What curves do you have? To the left or right? I hope the next few weeks go quickly for you and that your surgery is a success. Let us know how you are getting on.
              Best wishes.
              Cheryl.

Comment

They cancelled my surgery because they needed a general surgeon to do the surgery and because my doctor waited this long to decide he needed to do this kind of surgery one was not available. I have a very weird curve. I dont kow the proper names so bare with my mediocre description. Its a small one at the top to the left about 46 degrees which (the doctor believes) causes the middle one which is the most apparent one to the right is about 56 degrees which is the other cuve that they are fixing as well as the one at the top. Then there is another one to the left again at the bottom that is about 38 degrees which will be corrected with a slight shoelift. I understand his concern because the type of curve I have usually is involved with some type of neurological problems. I dont have those mine is idiopathic. The joys of being an unusual case. I just hope I dont have to give more blood, they said they could freeze it. The 2 times I gave blood before they messed up and I had to be stuck in both arms. Thank you for your help, the fact that your daughters actually happened gives me hope that I too will soon have a moderately straight back.
                Much love.
                Annie

Comment

Don't give up. It will happen. They are just trying to do what is best for you. It's just hard to see how when you're the one going through it. And it is only a month. Amber's first surgery was booked in for November, then January and ended being done in May. She got to the point where she said 'if they cancel it again I don't want it done'.
                  Does your curve involve your neck?
                  Cheryl.

Comment

I do believe it will happen eventually. My curve does not involve my neck. My shoulders are even as well as my hips. I guess the curves balance eachother out. My waist is A-symetrical though. You can tell there. But almost all of my back is curved in one sort of way. How much do you think I will grow, did your daughter grow after her surgery? Im already 5'9" Im done growing but I heard some people grow up to 2 inches. 5'11", I dont know if I could deal with that. I dont like wearing heels as it is.
                    Thanks a bunch.
                    Annie

Comment

Amber was 5'8 1/2" and went to 5'11". Our whole family is tall so I don't think it was too much of a shock for her. She was just happy that I am still taller than her. I was 6'1" when I was 13 and the height then was hard to deal with. I am now 33 and honestly I like my height and I will wear 4" heels occassionaly. That makes me a little self conscious, that's when I try not to stand near short people. Height is something that does get easier with age. Don't let it worry you. Spend the time waiting for your surgery thinking of comebacks for the losers who comment on it. Tell them what you went through to get that tall. It's not something they could do, they're stuck being short and closer to all the smelly things lower down. You breathe fresher air when your head is above everyone elses.
                      Do you know why they want to do the surgery this way?
                      Cheryl.

Comment

Working...
                      X