What is surgery like?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is surgery like?!

hi can n e 1 who has had surgery give me the details please?
    40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Details such as what? There is a ton of stuff I could tell you, so you need to be more specific.
    Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
    L2 to T4
    Braced for 4 years
    Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

sorry

i would like to know what happend to you in yor stay please
      40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Oh my gosh - I just wrote you a huge response but it wasn't sent!!! Sorry about that - I don't have the energy to do it again, but I'll try to re-reply tomorrow.
        Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
        L2 to T4
        Braced for 4 years
        Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

ok then thank you
          40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Hi!
            I just read your reply to me in 'shoes' and went looking for what else you had posted. My daughter has just had a double fusion 4+ weeks ago, if you read through my thread 'worried mum from Australia' you will see all about our experience.
            Best wishes.
            Cheryl.

Comment

Chryl you sound like a very supportive mum and i am pleased to think that beacause any girl/ boy needs a lovley mum to get through times like these!

lots of love Boo
              40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

What a nice thing to say. Thank you very much. I hope that you get all the support that you deserve from your family. Don't forget there is lots of support to get here as well.
                Best wishes
                Cheryl.

Comment

thank you.
                  40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

Can every 1 plz tell me their surgery story???
                    40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

I had scoliosis sugery in 1976 and can tell you that it all goes by very fast. Those few days in the hospital will be a distant memory before you know it. I spent 10 days in the hospital and within 6 weeks after surgery I was doing most anything I wanted. I am now 44 years old and it is very, very rare that I think about having scoliosis or the surgery.

Comment

Ok, I'm going to try to tell it again! I hope nothing goes wrong...

So, I went to the hospital the morning before surgery, had a couple of blood tests done and then went up the the patient prep area. I had my own area sectionned off by curtains where I changed into a hospital gown. Then tons of people introduced themselves - surgeons, assistants, anesthesiologists, etc. I was given the choice to recieve initial anesthesia through a mask or an injection. The injection works quicker, but I thought the mask was cool so I chose that (orange scented gas, yum!). THey wheeled me into the operating room where there were lots of people and bright lights. They put on the mask and in about a minute, I was out!

When I woke up (8 hours later) my face was really swollen, so it was hard to see. I had a cathedar, iv, backup iv, oxygen tubes in my nose, a heart monitor, and a hemovac (blood drain). I don't remember much until several days after surgery. My parents took turns staying with me, sleeping on a chair that folds out into a bed. I didn't eat very much, just drank lots of water. I spent a lot of time sleeping, or listening to my parents read to me.

I had a visitors, but I didn't want to see anyone that much. I was in a lot of pain so I was easily irritated. I controlled my pain with a personal morphine pump connected to the iv. Later on (I had no perception of time!) I went on tylenol with codeine.

As for physical therapy, on day one I first stood up and took a few steps. The next day I walked to the door and back. Next around the unit, and finally up stairs. They also did leg and ankle exercises with me so my lower body wouldn't get too stiff. The tubes came out in this day by day progression as well - first the heart monitor and oxygen tubes, then cathedar, then iv and hemovac, and finally the back up iv.

The most painful part of being at the hospital was being rolled. You have to be rolled on your side every two hours to prevent bed sores and stiffness. That was hard because, though the nurses help, you still have to pull yourself a lot. The nurses also checked my vitals (oxygen percent, breathing rate, heart rate, temperature) every two hours.

I think I've said it all. Let me know if your have any questions!
                        Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
                        L2 to T4
                        Braced for 4 years
                        Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

do ur ribs grow back when they take them out?
                          40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

hi every1.
                            I would like to know the following questions:

What do u do in the phisio training?
                            what do the nurces do when they come and check you?
                            Why wont i b able to eat?
                            what are ice chips?
                            40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

When you have surgery your whole body is 'shut down'. It takes a few days for everything to get going again. You will be on a lot of pain medication and you sleep a lot. The last thing to start working again is your bowel. So if you eat anything it will just sit in there, not move, and make you really constipated. Trust me that's the last thing want. You wont want to eat anyway.
                              Ice chips are small broken ice cubes.
                              When the nurses come in they will check your temp.( everyones seems to go up and down a bit with this surgery), blood pressure, your drainage bags, urine output, I.V. input, etc. Whatever you are conected to they will check. They will roll you. Ask about your pain and make sure that you are generally OK.
                              Australia seems to be a little different in regards to the physio. Amber had someone come and do lung exercises with her. The physio came past everyday but Amber and I managed on our own and didn't need a great deal of help getting out of bed or walking. I learned pretty quickly how to roll her and help her to move, so the staff let us go and got on with other things. They knew that we would call if we needed help. I was actually asked in the hospital if I was a nurse (I'm not), I've just been in hospitals lots and the rest was just instinct.
                              I don't know what happens with physio in other countries but that was our experience. Maybe someone else can answer more fully for you.
                              Cheryl.

Comment

Working...
                              X