Shoes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoes??

As most of you know my daughter Amber had a double fusion 4 weeks ago. She is now starting to 'sort of' think about going back to school. The question I have is about shoes. Her school shoes have a heel on them. She has got a couple of flat shoes but these are not really suitable for school. Up until now she has been wearing flat shoes that she can slip on. I had a look last week for some flat shoes that she could wear to school, but couldn't find anything under $100 and I just can't afford that. Does anyone have any ideas for tying shoe laces as Amber tells me I can't do it right!, and she can't tie them herself.
    When can she wear shoes with a heel again? She is fused from T4 to L4 and I think that heels especially at the moment will put too much strain on her back..
    Any ideas...... anyone...?
    Cheryl.

mumof5,
    Coundn't she just wear like flip flops to school?

Comment

School policy here is it must be a shoe with a leather upper or she is not allowed into some of the classrooms. These classrooms are industrial arts, cooking and science. She is not supposed to be even on school grounds without an enclosed shoe. They are really strict.
      Cheryl.

Comment

Ohh..you couldn't just ask them if they could make an exeption because of her condition?

Comment

In regards to Ambers shoes
          :Places such as Big W/K-Mart sell school shoes with a slightly lower heel. (some of the ones that I have seen are only a couple of centimetres off the ground). I'm not sure what they are like quality wise, but they would help heel wise in the meantime
          :On whether Ambers's current school shoes might place stress on her back, if they have a particularly high heel (ie 4 to 5 centimetres) they probably will for the moment. If they are lower, it would probably take a trial to see how Amber feels back wise wearing the shoes for a day/couple of days around the house
          :would a sort of shoe such as a Mary-Jane style be suitable (my sister has a pair and they are very flat). Or does the foot need to be covered completley (they only cover the heel and the front of the foot)

Suggestions for tying shoes
          :Sitting on a chair normally, bringing one leg and resting it over the other and tying her shoes that way
          :relplacing the shoe-laces with elastic shoe-laces
          :I had a look on the Independant Living Centre Website in Western Australia just to see if there was anything there. I did find one thing that I thought could be of assistance. It is called a Super Stretch sports shoe lace. It is a normal shoe lace, but when you tie it, there is a locking mechanism and then when you need to take your shoe off the elastic expands and you don't need to untie it. Here is the link

http://202.0.185.38/ilc/equipDetail.asp?itemId=6520815

( hope it works, tell me if it doesn't)

:The independent living centre in NSW may have more ideas, this was the best one that I found in WA.

Hope this helps

Alison

Comment

shoes

Hi Cheryl,

My friends dad was in the millitary and she tought me a way to tie my shoes so they do not come undone. (my shoes are always coming undone in PE) When you tie your shoes the loops will be together forming one loop. I hope I can explain it right! Put the two laces together with one hand twist them around the first two fingers on the other hand put the ends between these two fingers and pull it through the formed loop and pull tight. We can take a picture and send it two you.

Ellie
            Minnesota Brace
            Curves: 27T/32L
            ~ ~

Comment

Ellie I understand exactly what you mean and will try myself. Thankyou.
              Shoes must completely cover the foot. I'll get Amber to try her other shoes and see how she goes. Thankyou everyone for your help.
              Cheryl.

Comment

i always tuck in my laces so i dont have to tye up my shoes!
                I also think that if you write a letter to the school they will let her wear different shoes. I did that when I had a broken toe! lol
                40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

I have seen shoe loces thet are
                  curly...u could put that on sneakers and twist them..that might work

Comment

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions. I'll take her shopping again next week and see what we can find.
                    Cheryl.

Comment

Working...
                    X