THYROID hormone and scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• THYROID hormone and scoliosis

At the age of 13 I was put on Thyroid hormones for an underactive thyroid. Within 6 months I developed scoliosis..20 degrees (thereabouts) and it has worsened in adulthood. I have read a lot about thyroid hormone stimulants and scoliosis. Anyone else take levoxyl, synthroid or another hormone? Do you think this contributed to your scoliosis?

I don't trust doctors anymore. Sometimes I think none of them know what they are doing I worry because I STILL take Levoxyl that my scoliosis will continue to worsen
    28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
    1998 22T/20L
    2002 30T/28L
    2006 34T/28L
    2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Hi...

Do you remember where you heard or read about a link between scoliosis and thyroid stimulants? I did a quick search and couldn't find anything.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

HI Linda: http://www.norditropin-us.com/parent...n_products.asp

My thinking is that I had a VERYYYY mild curve and once I started taking the thryroid hormone I went through a huge growth spurt (grew 5 inches in 6 months). As you know, scoliosis occurs a LOT during major growth spurts.

28 years old. Dx at age 14.

1994 20T/20L
      1998 22T/20L
      2002 30T/28L
      2006 34T/28L
      2008 43T/34L

considering surgery in the near future as the curvature is getting progressively worse and for pain management.

XRAYS and pics at 28 years old. http://www.freewebs.com/skiergirl24/apps/photos/

Comment

Hi...

Norditropin is not a thyroid stimulant. It is a growth hormone.

--Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Mobee:
          This is from the link you posted:

Re:Norditropin===
          Scoliosis (curvature of the spine) can occur in children who experience rapid growth. Because growth hormone increases growth rate, children should be monitored for progression of scoliosis
          Why were you given growth hormone?

It definitely could cause scoliosis progression according to this.

This is from the section written for healthcare professionals:

Norditropin® (somatropin [rDNA origin] injection) is indicated for the long-term treatment of children with growth failure due to inadequate secretion of endogenous growth hormone and for replacement of endogenous growth hormone in adults with growth hormone deficiency (GHD) who meet either of the following two criteria: 1. Adult Onset: Patients who have GHD, either alone or associated with multiple hormone deficiencies (hypopituitarism), as a result of pituitary disease, hypothalamic disease, surgery, radiation therapy, or trauma; or 2. Childhood Onset: Patients who were growth hormone deficient during childhood as a result of congenital, genetic, acquired, or idiopathic causes. In general, confirmation of the diagnosis of adult GHD in both groups usually requires an appropriate growth hormone stimulation test.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Working...
          X