Turned a pre-op corner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turned a pre-op corner

Today I went to my rhematologist (in addition to scoliosis, I also have arthritis), and felt like I turned a corner. We were discussing how my medications will change before the surgery, and I was completely calm. As we scheduled my next appointment, I realized that next time I'm in that office, it will all be over, and I'll be almost 3 months post op. Wow.

Many of you know I've been freaking out a bit about my upcoming surgery, but I seem to have calmed down fairly suddenly. Until a few days ago I was constantly worrying about it, planning for it, making lists, and researching. Finally I have a pain medicine so I can get some sleep and get on with my life. I feel like I've done all the prep I can, and it's time to just get done all the academic work I can (I'm a grad student) and get going on my thesis so I have less to worry about as I recover. I'm also planning fun weekends over the next 7 weeks before surgery - going on a "training weekend" of biking and hiking in NH, Vegas, and a big dinner party for my close friends the weekend before. I'm also being good about going to yoga weekly, so I feel like I have something built into my schedule that's just for me.

I guess I wanted to thank all of you, because you are likely a huge reason I feel that I've "completed" my research, and have become so calm, most likely because I feel like I know what to expect. Every question I've asked, no matter how trivial or silly, you have answered for me. And as each question has been answered, I have calmed down. So, really, thank you so much!
    2000 34*L/39*T
    2007 44*L/53*T

12.3.07 Posterior Spinal Fusion T4-T12
    (initially planned T4-L1)
    12.18.07 11*L/10*T

23 years old

Congratulations on turning the pre-op corner! That must be a great feeling. I'm still waiting to turn that corner with my 17 year old son's upcoming surgery on Dec. 12. I have so many moments of feeling totally overwhelmed and sad and then I log on to this forum and I suddenly feel so much better. I feel like I freak out about it more when I am talking to my friends because THEY are freaked out about it because they don't know anything about scoliosis. Does that make sense? Like you, I feel like this forum has taught me volumes and continues to do so on a daily basis. Enjoy the next 7 weekends of all those fun activities - you deserve it! Good luck with your surgery - I'll be thinking of you and praying for a speedy recovery.

God Bless,
    Lori
    Lori

Mom to Christopher, age 17, Mark, 13, Heather, 10 and Michael, 8
    Chris had surgery with Dr. John Flynn at Children's Hospital of Philadelphia on December 12, 2007. He is fused T4 to L4.
    Dr. Flynn is an AMAZING surgeon!

Comment

Yoga is a great help for stress relief! With your positive attitude, you should have no problems with your surgery. Good luck and enjoy yourself in the weeks before your surgery.
      T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
      2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
      3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
      Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Hello vdny-

What a gift it is to feel the relief of acceptance. When your mind "clicks" and accepts that it really is going to happen and it's going to be okay, you start to feel pretty good! Just keep reminding yourself that as it gets closer, the fear might come and go, just keep talking it out, and .... have some fun!!! Lisa
        Lisa age 47
        T curve 69 degrees
        L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
        fused to from T-3 to sacrum
        anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
        pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Congratulations!

Hi Vndy,

Congratulations on reaching the first of many milestones you will celebrate both surgically and post-operatively! Your positive and "can do" attitude will serve you well as your surgical date approaches. Staying mentally and physically busy and spending time with family and friends now and after your surgery will help you reach additional milestone goals. Being comfortable with the decisions you have made is half the battle. The rest you can put in the hands of your surgeon. This Forum is an added benefit -- especially when you need a quick reassurance, support, information, a place to vent and a place to share your milestones!

Best of luck to you in the coming weeks while you tie up loose academic pieces and make time to enjoy vacation time with friends and family.

Linda W.
          Linda
          Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
          S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
          Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
          Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

Working...
          X