Shaving legs post-op

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving legs post-op

I saw this in another post and didn't want to hi-jack that post so I thought I'd start a new one.

I had my legs waxed a few days before surgery. It lasted about 2 weeks, then I had DH get out my old electric razor. He used it on me a few times until I could do some of it myself. I would lay in bed (right before we put the sheets in the laundry) and pull my legs up to me and shave what I could, he would do the rest. I used the electric one until I could bend some while in the shower. Honestly, at that point in time, you could care less if they are perfect, as long as they are somewhat clean.

I tackled the leg hair problem by purchasing an extention to hold a razor from an online site. I now manage fine in the shower and never had to ask my husband for help. They aren't easy to find. Google "lady's extention razor holder".
    Cathy, age 60
    A/P fusion surgeries April 2007,
    T2-sacrum
    Dr. Pashman, Cedars-Sinai, L.A.
    T correction 45 - 24 degrees
    L correction 66 - 46 degrees

Comment

I had no idea such a contraption existed! That's a great idea. I used duct tape and taped a disposable razor to my back scratcher- but, it was a hassle because it would have to be redone after getting wet.
      Lisa age 47
      T curve 69 degrees
      L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
      fused to from T-3 to sacrum
      anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
      pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Maybe I'm funky but not being able to shave my legs will not bother me in the slightest! I rarely do it in the winter anyway - but I do have light growth.
        Jan Lotherington,
        56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
        A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
        at age 55
        Dr Bridwell

Comment

Shaving

I am three and a half years post-op and I guess b/c of where my fusion is, I still find it difficult to shave parts of my legs in the shower, especially the left side of my left leg. I cannot twist around. I have a little foot rest in the shower which helps. I also have trouble with my toenails, so my husband clips them. I had my legs waxed right before the surgery.
          Heather
          Surgery date: April 20, 2004
          Anterior/posterior surgery
          Fused T-11 to L-5
          Pre op lumbar curve: 70 degrees, thoracic curve: 42 degrees
          Post op lumbar curve: 19 degrees, thoracic curve: 18
          Surgeon: Dr. Boachie-Adjei
          Had successful pregnancy and birth 2 years post-op

Comment

I just this week mastered the electric shaver and can almost but not quite shave down to my ankles when I prop my leg up on a chair and kind of lean in instead of bend down. Hubby does the toenails. In my book, that's true love.
            Chris
            A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
            Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
            Post-op curve: 12 degrees
            Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I use nair or an electric razor for my legs. My husband and I have been talking about getting laser hair removal for our daughter so she won't have to worry about bending to shave her legs.
              T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
              2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
              3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
              Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
              X