No announcement yet.

orthopedist would accept non-surgical treatment for large curves in New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• orthopedist would accept non-surgical treatment for large curves in New York

My daughter 11yrs old, was just diagnosed with 54 degrees curved a month ago. She does not have obvious deformation in her body and she is very active in many sports.

I refuse to let her go straight to surgery and looking for non-surgical treatment. We are looking for an orthopedist who would accept non-surgical treatment and monitor my daughter.

Any one can recommend one in NYC or Westchester areas?

Thanks very much.

P.S. We saw a doctor in HSS he said that my daughter needs to have surgery in next 3 months. It is difficult to go back to him.
    Mother to Sophie, DOB 10/8/95; diagnosed 45T/31L July 07, 54T/39L Aug 07; Rigo-Cheneau brace & Schroth, Tamars, Rolfing; 54T/36L Dec 07; 51T/34L Apr 08.

Good luck to you. I can understand how you feel. When my 11 year old was diagnosed with a 40 degree curve, I didn't want to see anyone who wanted to talk about surgery. But now it is at a 60 and still increasing as we speak. She also has developed a rib hump and we can see the deformity. There is not one orthopedic we have seen now who believes she should not get surgery. We have had two years to get used to the idea. I wish you the best.
    Melissa
    From Bucks County, Pa., USA

Mom to Matthew,19, Jessica, 17, and Nicole, 14
    Nicole had surgery with Dr. Dormans on 9/12/07 at Children's Hospital of Phila. She is fused T-2 - L-3

Comment

Hi Clare (?)

Poor you, it's really scarey isn't it? 11 is very young to have such a big curve, she sounds very similar to my daughter. Imogen's curve was first spotted by her gym coach when she was about 7. We would not have spotted it and even now people are amazed when we tell them as she looks perfectly straight and has wonderful posture. Her curve had progressed to 38 degrees at age 9 and was therefore heading towards something similar to your daughter.

Imogen is wearing the Spinecor brace, we have had to come to terms with the fact that she will need surgery at some point in the future. The brace is being used to hold the curve & keep her spine flexible until she has grown as much as possible. Her consultant has said that he will allow the curve to progress to 70 degrees + so long as the spine remains flexible as he could still get a good correction. He does not want to operate while she is so immature.

I'm sorry that I don't have any answers for you and I'm sure that this is not what you want to hear. Perhaps you could investigate Spinecor? It's not generally used for large curves, but I'm sure our consultant would give it a try - to postpone surgery - if your daughter's spine is still flexible.

Sorry,

Laura
      UK based Mum of Imogen, 38 degree curve at 9 years old. SpineCor since 15/6/07, 31 degrees in brace.
      10th December 07 - 27 degrees, 23rd June 08 - 26 degrees, Feb 09 - 24 degrees, Aug 09 - 35 degrees, Jul 10 - 47 degrees, Dec 10 - 50+ degrees.
      Surgery due to take place early December 2011 at the RNOH, England.

Comment

treat or not to treat

to treat or not to treat is a big isseu, the onley thing you can expect is a delay in time for surgery, if the curve doesn't progress. the thing is that this curve is diagnosed with the first visit ( if i am correct?) . it's hard to say what it's going to do, the most doktors will try to wait as long as possible before going to surgery becouse she is still growing. I can onley wisch you the best of luck , your going to need it!
        stan

Comment

Working...
        X