My Scoliosis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Scoliosis

Hi my name is Richard Elizee I am 17 years old and will turn 18 on October 17th. I live in Jacksonville, fl. During the beginning of August, I went to Jacksonville Military Entrance Processing Station, to join the US army which was a dream for me since i was a kid. I want to be a UH-60 Pilot. I found out during my physical that i had scoliosis. Something i never heard about.I never had any back problems in my life before. Slight pain when i was on the road for a 8 hour trip, but nothing abnormal. I received X-RAY and it revealed that my Thoracic Scoliosis was a 45 degrees and my lumbar at 30. The military limit is 30 degrees for thoracic, and 20 for lumbar. I do not want to get a back surgery, it would autmatically disqualify me for the military. Do you guys think that with a brace, I will be able to reduce my thoracic Scoliosis at or below 30 degrees and my lumbar scoliosis at or below 20 degrees?

Thanks

Hey Richard! I'm 17 too lol. I'm sorry to tell you, but at your age I don't think a brace is really going to help. A brace is not even meant to reduce curves, the point of a brace is to hold curves steady while you are still growing, not correct them. Some people get lucky and get a correction, but this is again while they are still growing. At 17, it's likely you are done growing, and even if you werent done growing, it still might not reduce them. I wore a brace from when I was 10 through when I was 15 and I had no correction. If you really want to give it a shot, you can, but I don't think it will do anything. Sorry....
    Leelee
    ~Leelee ♪
    [-] 17 years old
    _[-] 12th grade
    [-] scoliosis, 45T and 42 L
    _[-] kyphosis, 67*
    [-] Boston brace for 4 years
    _[-] Stopped 6/8/05 at 4:32 PM

Comment

alright...sad to hear that but what can i do...I've been growing like crazy lately taught

Comment

Richard:

I am no expert on this subject however from the reading I have been doing it would seem to be very important for you to know your Risser score. If your Risser score is low enough and you still have growing to do then you could wear a Spinecor brace to stop the further progression of your curves.

Ruth (Ottawa, Canada).
        Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

Alright... I actually went to the doctor today..not a chiropractor, but she relied me to a orthopedic. The doctor told me that It is due to me growing more than 5 in in the past year is the cause of my scoliosis. She also told me that everything might come back in place by itself by doing exercises for scoliosis. I am awaiting to meet up with a chiropractor and hope for the best.

wish me luck

Richard Elizee
          Last edited by relizee; 09-06-2007, 01:39 PM.

Comment

I'm confused... What is chiropractics going to do for your curvature?

Comment

Richard:

Did you see an orthopaedic doctor or a general practitioner?
              Ruth, 50 years old (s-shaped 30 degree scoliosis) with degenerative disc disease, married to Mike. Mother to two children - Son 18 and daughter 14. Both have idiopathic scoliosis. Son (T38, L29) has not needed surgery to date. Daughter (March 08 - T62, L63).

Comment

A general practitioner . She will refer me to a orthopedic.

Comment

Hi Richard. My husband flew airplanes in the Air Force. Could you get a medical waiver? I know they are very strict about those things. Are you getting in the Army just because you love to fly? I know for civilian flying you have to pass a physical but, it is not as strict as the Army. I personally think what they are doing is discrimination because otherwise you are strong and healthy. If you want to learn to fly for a living, it might be better to go the civilian route. My husband flies with a lot of captains his age and he is only a first officer. They make almost twice his pay and began flying as civilians. I hope things work out for you. It is very noble of you to want to get in the Army.
                  Becky

Comment

Originally posted by momw/scoli
                    Hi Richard. My husband flew airplanes in the Air Force. Could you get a medical waiver? I know they are very strict about those things. Are you getting in the Army just because you love to fly? I know for civilian flying you have to pass a physical but, it is not as strict as the Army. I personally think what they are doing is discrimination because otherwise you are strong and healthy. If you want to learn to fly for a living, it might be better to go the civilian route. My husband flies with a lot of captains his age and he is only a first officer. They make almost twice his pay and began flying as civilians. I hope things work out for you. It is very noble of you to want to get in the Army.
                    Becky
                    Yes I actually did put in a waiver at the MEPS, but it was sadly refused. Aviation is really my dream and the military was always something that attracted me. I will try everything possible to accomplish it. Thank you for your word of encouragement Becky

Richard

Comment

Hey man I am in the same boat. Surgery will keep me away from doing what I love which is competing in grappling which is finally beginning to come together for me but I have a 47 degree going to the right and I am 18 the doc said its done but ya never know what can happen I decided to keep wearing my night brace and just strengthening my back as much as I can so see if they can get you a brace. Good luck man
                      Last edited by sitoutturn; 10-05-2007, 10:13 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X