to treat or not to treat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• to treat or not to treat

My husband is a physician and our daughter was dx with severe scoliosis, he does not want the surgery, he said is too risky and her back is not going to be the same after someone mess up with her back. Our daughter is ready,she knows what is best for her, but he is a big trouble. What can i do? I agree with the Tx but he is not.
    I dont want my daughter to live her whole life with scoliosis.
    Does anyone have any recommendations for best MD/facility?
    *JUNE 7, 2005*

Amo ergo sum.

I love therefore I am.
    <3 Melody

Welcome to the board.

How old is your daughter? How severe is the scoliosis? What part of her back is the scoliosis located? Have you gotten second, third or more opinions? What recommendations have the surgeons given you that your hubby isn't thrilled about? (a little nosey there... )

Yes, there are some patients who have surgery for scoliosis who don't have good outcomes and live their lives trying to recover. Those people are the minority. There are far more people who have had successful surgeries/outcomes and live life to the fullest. Boards like this tend to have those who have scoliosis on their minds 24/7 posting. People with successful surgeries go on with life and don't look back at their scoliosis experiences.

As a parent, I would make sure your daughter is seeing a PEDIATRIC orthopedist who specializes in scoliosis, and who has extensive experience treating scoliotic patients.

I have two children with scoliosis - my 18yr old daughter has a 40 degree lumbar curve and she has not had surgery. My 9yr old son has had multiple back surgeries. He wouldn't be as healthy and active if we didn't do something early on in his life. He is too young to know what the future of his back holds, but so far, so good. He is painfree most of the time and is very active with no physical restrictions. I would think your daughter's discomfort level and her emotional well-being would be a big determining factor for surgery. Surgery should NEVER be taken lightly, but there is a time and a place for scoliosis surgery.

I wish you the best. Good luck and keep us posted.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

The doctor recommended surgery,and I believe her scoliosis is 65 degree, and is to the right side.
      Thanks a lot for ur reply,
      A V
      *JUNE 7, 2005*

Amo ergo sum.

I love therefore I am.
      <3 Melody

Comment

Thessalona,
        Have u heard of ASCO scoliosis treatment?

Comment

Hi,
          I believe your husband is human and a father first and a doctor second, so of couse he is in denial....I believe a 65 degree curve on a young girl will only be a negitive factor to her long term health...Try to keep her doctors advice serious and read read read...there is a load full of info on the net
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004
          Pulmonary Embolism
          complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
          increasing pain at the T4/5
          point irratation heardwear

Comment

We know how hard can be to make a decision like this. Thank a lot for all the help.
            If you know more physicians doing this please reply.
            Thanks connie, keep in contact.
            *JUNE 7, 2005*

Amo ergo sum.

I love therefore I am.
            <3 Melody

Comment

Thessalona,
              I don't think u can ever get rid of scoliosis. Its always there,even with surgery. Treatments (surgery chiro ect.) just make it reduced or just help u cope with it. I have never heard of a program that can totally heal scoliosis.
              Alot of people live with it! I'm living with it ,almost everyone on the site is living with it. There's no question on if u can live with it (because u can) but the question is what treatment is best.

Surgery sometimes is totally necessary,sometimes not. I've heard from alot of people who go to surgery and come out fine.
              I'm in a program called ASCO scoliosis treatment that doesn't require bracing or surgery. the website is scoliosistreatment.com!

If ur daughter needs surgery I hope her recovery goes well,but if she doesn't try this program

~~Bekah~~

Comment

Thessalona,

I agree with your husband on this issue. The question is not whether or not to treat. I believe it is how to treat it. My 16 yr old sister has a S curve. Lower curve of 63 degrees and an upper curve of 43 degrees. She went to Scottish Rite and her doctor recommended surgery asap.

This was not an option for me or my family to have her discs removed and spine fused. Yes, she will recover and may have years of pain free issues. I've been very proactive and have done tons of research. Many patients have problems 40 plus years down the line. I do know that the equipment used has advanced greatly but spinal fushion itself has not.

She is currently in Seattle undergoing Rolfing and Acupuncture treatments. My older sister is an Acupuncturist and is overseeing her treatments. Her upper curve is barely noticeable. Her lower curve is beginning to straighten.

She understands that any treatment will require life changing habits such as exercising, stretching, diet changes and so forth.

Check this post: Alternative Treatments
                I hope this helps you out..

Comment

Working...
                X