Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone need questions answered?

Hi
    If anyone has any unanswered questions, just dont be afraid to ask.

Thanks,
    Christine
    Christine Workman

hi ya

hi i am gonna hav surgery soon and i wanna know what the cathetor is like! i know it sounds silly but thats the thing i'm most worried about!
    40-50 upper curve

20-30 lower curve

surgery August 10!

Comment

trying to make the decision

Hi there. I have alot of questions and not sure if anyone can help me with the answers. I have a daughter (she will be 13 in November). Her scoliosis is progressing at an alarming rate even with bracing. I have to meet with her doctor Monday June 21 to discuss surgery. My problem is that my daughter also has severe cerbreal palsy. She doesn't walk or talk. I wonder if surgery is the best option for her. As I said she doesn't walk so there is no weight bearing for her. I have been researching I understand that without surgery, she could have difficulty breathing. But on the other hand, I worry about pain management due to the fact that she cannot talk. She does communicate through facial movements and crying. But I don't want her to suffer. If anyone could give me some information I would truely appreciate it. I just want to make the best decision possible for her.
      Thank you,
      Cholies Mom

Comment

Hi Cholie's mom...

I know of a few CP teens (and pre-teens) who have had scoliosis surgery. You need to find a pediatric orthopedist who has had experience with CP kids and scoliosis. The ortho can help you determine whether or not the scoliosis is going to be a potentially life-altering condition - namely affecting her breathing to a point where she will become oxygen dependent. Weigh the pros and cons very carefully. Her body may or may not respond well to the surgery and rod placement because of the severity of the CP. This is another issue you will want to make sure you consider. Good luck and keep us posted.
        Carmell
        mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

thanks

Carmell,
          Thanks for the other considerations to speak with the surgeons about. I would have never thought of those. The surgeon is out of Rainbow Babies and Childrens Hospital in Cleveland. I don't know about how familiar he is with CP kids. I will talk with him on Monday. I appreciate any questions anyone can advise me to ask.
          Thank you again.
          Best Wishes
          Cholie's Mom
          Will keep you posted!

Comment

Working...
          X