Insurance after spinal fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insurance after spinal fusion

Is it difficult to get new insurance after having had spinal fusion? Are insurance companies less willing to insure you, or will they force you to pay higher premiums?

Hi Robbie...

I don't understand. Do they even have health insurance in England?

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi Linda,

I should have specified in my post that I was asking more about the USA, as I will probably be moving back there at some point in the future. I'm originally from the USA, although I am a citizen of the UK also.

Yes, we do have health insurance in England. I went privately for my surgery.

Comment

Robbie -
        I can tell you what I know from my experience. In the past, I have worked for companies that provided health insurance, and most companies have an "open enrollment" which means the insurance company waives any pre-existing conditions you might have. Some insurance companies will impose a waiting period, say 12 months, during which time if you are not treated for the condition, you will be covered (or they will not pay for any treatments during that time). Right now, since I am not working, I have what's called a conversion policy with Blue Cross/Blue Shield that I transferred to from my previous employer. We in Michigan are fortunate to have a state law that BCBS cannot refuse you coverage for any reason except non-payment. However, I know this is not the case in every state for BCBS. I am not being charged any more than anyone else. Also, I helped my sister in Wisconsin research insurance coverage (she lost her husband, then her job, then was diagnosed with cancer - in that order - and couldn't get insurance coverage on her own). Wisconsin has some sort of "last resort" state insurance for those who are otherwise uninsurable. The bad news for her is that it is costing her a fortune.

I think when you come to the US, depending on where you are going to live and what kind of employment you might have, you'll have to do your homework to find out the best choice for you. It can vary considerably from state to state. Hope this helps some.
        trulyaries
        FeliciaFeliciaFelicia
        10/24/00 posterior fusion T4-L4 at age 57
        8/5/05 posterior surgery for spinal stenosis at L4-L5; laminectomy and fusion
        5/14/07 posterior revision with fusion to sacrum
        2/11/08 anterior discectomy L5-S1, and reinforcement of fusion with plate attached to L5-S1
        3/9/2011 and 3/11/2011 revision surgery with Dr. Lenke, St. Louis - complete revision and fusion with instrumentation from T1 to sacrum, one lumbar osteotomy.

Comment

Working...
        X