just diagnosed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• just diagnosed

My daughter Morgan is 13...during a recent yearly physical exam a small curve was found in her lower back........we were sent to the hospital for x-rays. The results came back today and they said she had a 11 degree curve and that we needed to come back in 3 months for re evaluation and possibly another x-ray.
    I am very concerned and started immediately reading about it and i am very nervous. I don't know if I should wait the 3 months or see someone about it......like an orthopedic doctor. Has anyone had any similar experiences and what did you do? I am new to this and really don't know what to do any guidance would be greatly appreciated!
    Thank you,
    Tonia
    TRRYS

Hi Tonia,

First, take a deep breath and try not to absorb everything all at once. What you read about is typically extreme cases. Your daughter is not at all extreme. In fact, always remember there is a +/- 5 degree margin of error in reading an xray (even when the same person is doing the measurements).

For peace of mind, I would schedule your 3 month appointment with a pediatric orthopedist who specializes in scoliosis treatment (and who sees many patients who are like your daughter). Your daughter will continue to be as active and participate in activities as much as she'd like (unless she has other medical issues). Having scoliosis doesn't change who she is. I hope you will be able to see that she's going to be just fine. Good luck and let us know how you and she are doing.
    Carmell
    mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Thank you for those words. I just got off of the phone with the orthopedist and we will go in this month for just evaluation and so he can see the x-rays. Then they said will schedule her for the 3 month evaluation. It is just overwhelming to have this happen and not know anything about it. Morgan is a very active beautiful child and that will not change I just want to make sure that I am doing everything right and possible.
      Thank you and good luck to you. I will keep in touch and let you know how all is going.
      Tonia
      TRRYS

Comment

Hi! I also just found out that I have scoliosis. I have to or will be wearing a Minnesota brace for 23 hours. At first, I was really nervous when the nurse at school said they would be sending a note home to my parents. The note said I should be rechecked by my doctor. I was and she confirmed I had scoliosis. My mom decided that she would measure every week against the wall in our hallway. She constantly looked at my back and still does sometimes. Now we have both gotten used to it and it is sinking in more and more. It just may take a little while to get used to the idea of scoliosis. I don't think they even do much if the curve is at a 11. My friend has a curve of 9 and they aren't even watching it. Though she is always at the doctor's anyways for some new injury. I am also 13. Hope everything goes well!!!

Take care,
        ellie
        Minnesota Brace
        Curves: 27T/32L
        ~ ~

Comment

Tonya,

I'm sure your husband is also feeling a little bit guilty, because as a doctor he should have seen this..I also wrote you a private message....check it
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004
          Pulmonary Embolism
          complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
          increasing pain at the T4/5
          point irratation heardwear

Comment

morgsmom,
            Have u heard of ASCo scoiosis treatment?

Comment

to one of five1,
              hows your treatment in the asco therapy? was your back improved? actually I've been waiting if asco is really effective. though i'm from the philippines i'm still hoping they can introduce their treatment here in our country. hope you will reply.

Comment

Thank you

Thanks for all the kind words and emails..I do want to clear the air my hubby is not a doctor..I don't know how that came about but that is not correct info.

I have never heard of ASCO, What is that? Does it work? I would love to hear more about this. Is it a treatment?

Morgan seems to be doing well and taking in the information that I gave her and she did not want to go to an orthopedist but we are still going. I am praying that everything will be ok and the curve will just stay like it is. Morg has complained of back pain for a few years, nothing severe, but when I took her to the pediatrician and asked about it they said it was growing pains. I am carefully logging in the times that her back hurts to see if this is due to the scoliosis.

Thank you all again for the kind words and encouragement....I am glad that there is a group like this. I have learned so much information on scoliosis in the last few days.
                Keep in touch please and I am praying for you all!
                Tonia and Morg
                TRRYS

Comment

Anna,
                  My treatment has been doing very well. The only problem is that since a part of the program is like hanging on rings ,your hands get all red and stuff but other than that its doing great.
                  To the eye my back looks better,but since I just got an x-ray about a month ago we can't take another one yet,so we can't say for sure that my back is getting better.
                  On the website they have pics of people two years later who still have correction. Just so u know,when I say correction I don't mean the curve being fixed, some times the curve gets better sometimes it satys the same. The goal of the program is to keep the spine stabble ,but sometimes you get correction.(5-15 degrees)
                  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                  morgsmom,
                  To find out what ASCO is u could just go to there website at scoliosistreatment.com. ASCO treatment does work .On the website they have pics u could look at showing the spine being and staying stabble.
                  Yes it is a treatment. The treatment is physical. Like you do floor exercises, you also do some exercises on rings stuff like that.
                  If u have any more questions feel free to ask!

Comment

Working...
                  X