Health care professionals after surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Health care professionals after surgery

I am curious about peoples experience with PT after spinal surgery. My Dr. would not allow me to do anything but walk and do stairs for 3 months after the surgery. I was exhausted at my sessions twice weekly and I think they pushed me too far as I started having piriformis muscle pain. This in turn caused sciatic pain, which I've been struggling with ever since. I am 19 months post op from A/P fusion T3-sacrum. I did not research PT's but it seemed like the local ones had never seen a fusion that extensive. I bought a book on back pain by Dr. Loren Fishman and saw one of his associates a few weeks ago with a follow-up visit this past Friday. I am finally getting my strength back. I was put on Lyrica which has really calmed down my sciatic nerve, and very specific PT. Apparently it takes a few months for the nerve to calm down so I'm limited as to what I can do. Even walking too much can set it off again. I was pain free for an entire week and it was so great. The pain came back a little so the dose of Lyrica was increased. Today I'm feeling better again. Although it's discouraging to have to keep track of everything I'm doing and for how long, I'm encouraged by this progress. Dr. Fishman has four offices in the NY area.

dianeh
    ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
    T3- sacrum
    dbl.curve, T47,L43
Working...
X