Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr. Baron Lonner

Hi!

Just wondering if anyone knows Dr. Lonner. He's in Manhattan and practices out of Lenox Hill and NYU. He did my surgery in Jan. '06 and it was very successful, T3-sacrum. I knew as soon as I met him that he was the one. He was kind, calm, knowledgeable and does these surgeries every week. He has a website called Orthopedic Associates and does children and adults. I went to HSS for my first opinion and saw a Dr. Rawlins. I've only heard of Dr Boachie on this forum. HSS is a great place and did intricate hand surgery on my son but I didn't bond as well with Dr. Rawlins. Could also be because I was shocked to learn that my curves had gotten so much worse and I might need surgery. I don't think I fully absorbed what he had to say.

dianeh
    ant./post. fusion Jan. '06
    T3- sacrum
    dbl.curve, T47,L43

Hi, this is my very first post... I also want to say that Dr. Baron Lonner is a talented and truly gifted doctor... He saved me...

I had my first scoliosis surgery in 1980 in the Bronx... Dr. Hoppenfeld was my doctor, Scoliosis Associates. I had a Harrington Rod that over the years broke, loosened, and eventually caused many problems including flatback syndrome. For years, I was maybe able to walk/stand for about 2 hours a day when I realized and accepted that this was no way to live anymore...

In March 2007, Dr. Lonner, NYC, Scoliosis Associates... removed my broken harrington rod, anterior and posterior surgeries were needed... I have 2 rods now with screws, and anchor on my right hip, and was also given cadaver bones replacing all of the damaged bones that I had with 3 titanium cages surrounding them... I had 2 surgeries in March, 1 surgery was 5 hours and the other was close to 15 hours...

Today I can walk, I'm on the road to recovery thanks to a very special person/surgeon, Dr. Lonner... He gave me my life back... I'm 40 years old now, and I'm looking forward to being me again... I'm driving now, did not start therapy yet, but I am fully fused!!!

Dr. Lonner is the best!!! I've sent so many people to him, and they all feel the same way...

Gina

Comment

Dr. Baron Lonner

Hi Gina,

I was so happy to hear about your wonderful experience with Dr. Lonner as he is not mentioned much on this forum. I will have my three year checkup this January and I think it is the last one. I also really liked his PA, Yael Goldstein. I had quite a few complications and she was always helpful. At 3 months post-op, I passed out getting out of bed, fell against the corner of my night table, and tore open about 10 inches of my incision. Dr. Lonner had me readmitted to Lenox Hill and repaired it under anesthesia after a full day of seeing patients. Now, you can barely see the difference from the original incision.

dhansen
      T3- sacrum
      dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...ce_abroad.html

Manhattan's Doctor Baron Lonner makes house calls (and a difference) abroad

Monday, July 13th 2009, 4:00 AM
        Handschuh/News

Dr. Baron S. Lonner is a Manhattan spinal surgeon who does pro bono work for youngsters with spinal disorders in underdeveloped countries.

* Brooklyn teen regains smile and health after drastic spine surgery <photo>

Dr. Baron Lonner has seen the same eyes in hospital waiting rooms in Egypt, Barbados, Ghana and the Dominican Republic.

"They're pleading eyes," said Lonner. "They say please get me done this trip. I know you only get back so often. Can you please take care of my child? Can you please take care of me?" Lonner represents the best chance many of them will get for treatment of often potentially life-threatening spinal injuries and curvatures.

Lonner, 45, is an orthopedic surgeon and director of Scoliosis Associates on the upper East Side. For the past seven years he has donated his skills to hospitals and clinics in developing nations around the world, performing spinal surgery on people who otherwise had little or no hope of being helped.

Scoliosis is a condition, not a disease, that describes various curvatures of the spine. It can be the result of congenital, developmental or degenerative diseases, but most times has no known cause.

Lonner remembers his first trip, a 2002 foray to Korle Bu Teaching Hospital, in Accra, the capital of the west African nation of Ghana. The hospital lost electricity while Lonner was in the middle of a complex spinal operation.

"Fortunately, they had a backup generator so he never lost oxygen," Lonner said. "The power went off and on during the entire procedure. The air conditioner quit working, so the nurses would put cold compresses on our necks so we would stay cool and not drip sweat onto the patient."

Born in Jericho, L.I., and a graduate of Jericho High School, Lonner said he decided to become a doctor when he was 9 years old after watching his grandmother die from the slowly degenerative myasthenia gravis.

"I never liked seeing people suffer," he said. "It sounds trite, but it's really true. I always wanted to help people, and I liked using my hands."

A love of sports - Lonner wrestled, played soccer and ran track in high school - steered him toward orthopedics.

Lonner attended Boston University's undergraduate and medical school, graduating from the med school in 1989. He did his orthopedic residency, and a lot of scoliosis research at Albert Einstein and Montefiore hospitals in the Bronx in 1990 through 1994. He is now associated with the New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases.

In 2002, several colleagues invited Lonner on that fateful first trip to Ghana.

"I saw it as a means of helping people in dire need," he said. "Most of the people we see in this country have had some treatment or therapy during their lives, but most of these people have not and their cases are much more severe."

Lonner said he has done as many as "seven very complex surgeries" during his week-long stay in each country. Potential patients are waiting a long time before he arrives, and often come from neighboring countries for treatment.

Lonner also trains local surgeons in the latest surgical techniques.

Though he often cannot speak the language - he does know a little Spanish - Lonner said, "a smile, a pat on the back, helps reassure them that I am going to take care of them or their family members."

Lonner, who pays for his own airfare, has several trips planned through the rest of the year.

Donations toward surgical equipment and supplies can be made through the Scoliosis Research Society Web Site at www.srs.org.
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

dr lonner

dr lonner is the best...he was the first & only surgeon i consulted with that i liked immediately...started seeing him 5 years ago when my back started bothering me after herniating discs..before that the scoli was there but didnt cause any pain or trouble...dr lonner has been following my scoli curves as they have gotten worse..we discussed surgery 2 years ago, & then more seriously last time i saw him end march 2009...i am still hesitating out of fear about the "bilateral pelvic fixation" thing... but i trust him.... & IF i do surgery, it will be with him...i think he is a terrific doctor, kind, compassionate, skillful & smart!

jess

Comment

Dr. Baron Lonner

Hi,
            I've read a few older posts on Dr. Baron Lonner but I'm wondering if there is anyone that can give me information about him at this time. Has anyone out there had revision surgery with the harington rod done by him? I would like to hear opinions good or bad.
            thank you
            erica

Comment

Dr. Lonner.

ADMoul had surgery with Dr. Lonner about 6 weeks ago. She posts very often. It was not revision, but she is very pleased with the outcome. I am scheduled for surgery with Dr.Lonner on June 8th.

Comment

Dr Lonner doesnt use Lenox Hill Hospital anymore as far as i know...and hasnt for a few years...

i see him april 12th to discuss whether he thinks any nyc doctors will adopt the newer minimal invasive lumbar surgery...

jess

Comment

Dr. Baron Lonner

I was just browsing this morning and was surprised to find this thread about Dr. Lonner. I just had to add more complements because not only does he do great surgery but he's also been there for me for some other issues I've had since my original surgery in 2006. I was diagnosed with a spinal abscess in August 2008 and was pretty close to death. It was thought that I had a hardware infection as well. Dr.Lonner had me sent by ambulance from New Milford Hospital to NYU and arranged for me to have a top infectious disease doctor and also a top plastic surgeon to perform a 3 hour surgery to drain the abscesses. It was highly recommended that the hardware be removed but I was so sick I thought I would die on the table. We agreed to try a year of antibiotics, 2 months of that IV and so far the infection has not returned. I am so glad he gave me the chance to not have the surgery and both drs. raved about him. Anyone choosing him is in very good hands.
                  dianeh
                  T3- sacrum
                  dbl.curve, T47,L43

Comment

I took my daughter for a consult with Dr. Lonner last Monday. I think he's very good. He was the most thorough of the doctors we've seen and the most focussed on my daughter. (others have been dismissive)

Comment

hi aterry
                      i ws also at Dr Lonner's Monday for consult for surgery...i have known him for over 5 years...like him alot...

just wondering what time your appt was ?
                      mine was at 11...but i think i was there til almost 1:00...

hope things work out well for your daughter...

jess

Comment

Dr. Barron Lonner helps Grade School friends with Scoliosis and Flatback

Originally posted by ge628 View Post
                        Hi, this is my very/EMAIL]y first post... I also want to say that Dr. Baron Lonner is a talented and truly gifted doctor... He saved me...

I had my first scoliosis surgery in 1980 in the Bronx... Dr. Hoppenfeld was my doctor, Scoliosis Associates. I had a Harrington Rod that over the years broke, loosened, and eventually caused many problems including flatback syndrome. For years, I was maybe able to walk/stand for about 2 hours a day when I realized and accepted that this was no way to live anymore...

In March 2007, Dr. Lonner, NYC, Scoliosis Associates... removed my broken harrington rod, anterior and posterior surgeries were needed... I have 2 rods now with screws, and anchor on my right hip, and was also given cadaver bones replacing all of the damaged bones that I had with 3 titanium cages surrounding them... I had 2 surgeries in March, 1 surgery was 5 hours and the other was close to 15 hours...

Today I can walk, I'm on the road to recovery thanks to a very special person/surgeon, Dr. Lonner... He gave me my life back... I'm 40 years old now, and I'm looking forward to being me again... I'm driving now, did not start therapy yet, but I am fully fused!!!

Dr. Lonner is the best!!! I've sent so many people to him, and they all feel the same way...

Gina

March , 2011 Reply: Hi, I am Christine G. an old classmate/friend of Gina's I also had Scoliosis growing up and had an S curve and Scoliosis surgery at Hospital for Special Surgery in February , 1983 where I had 2 Harrington Rods to correct my S. curve... I also have lived many years (28 years todate with my Rods) I had a normal life since my surgery and had two births of my 2 daughters in 1989 and 1990 (they do not have Scoliosis). In 2000, I slipped and fell on my back .. went to Emergency room and was confirmed my rods were in place and ok.. I was experiencing some chronic daily low back pain and hip pain.. and went for see Doctor Ohenia Boachie-Adhjei at Hospital for Special Surgery (since I was informed that my surgeon Dr. John Doherty had passed away). I got a new set of XRays done and a visit with the doctor.. he told me that I had "FLATBACK SYNDROME", and that I was standing tilted forward and that this was common for people to get over a course of years after having the Harrington Rods since they are fused so low in the lower lumbar ( I am fused to L5) I have now
                        (2011) severe chronic daily low back pain below L5 and tilt so much more forward than I was 10 years ago when I saw him.. he recommended major surgery and that would entail removing my 2 rods and replacing with new rods etc... pretty major surgery and recovery... it would be then only way to correct the FLATBACK SYNDROME... I could not comprehend that .. so I seeked the advice of another Doctor and he pretty much said the same thing.. but gave me the option to get physical therapy to aide my pain and of course there is always the option of pain medication.. which I opted not to do since so many drugs are addicting and cause other problems.. I also had a CTscan with a facetted injection in my lower back to inject a steriod medication to help manage the pain in my lower back.. I would never ever ever do that again.. the pain was unbearable.. it took 4 male nurses to hold me down ..

Years passed over 10 years..and now I have gotten so much worse where I, cannot even stand for short periods of time without sitting or leaning on something because I cannot stand up straight.. at this point I can seriously walk with a walker daily to be comfortable and would never do that (I am only 43 years old and feel like 90) .. I can't walk a block around the block with out severe pain..

Facebook connections have reconnected me with my friend Gina, (we were grade school classmates and high school friends... )I remember Gina getting her Scoliosis Surgery in 1980 in 8t grade and coming back to school with her body cast on.... I was diagnosed in 1979 with Scoliosis and my S curve was beyond the point of a Milwalkee Brace helping and surgery was my only option too. I could not think of surgery and put it off until I was 15 years old in Sophmore Year of High School, where I noticed I started getting short of breathe when walking and talking, and most clothes needed to be altered to fit right.. I was getting self conscious of how l looked standing curved over to one side.. I finally got the nerve to tell my parents that I was mentally ready to go through with the surgery which I did in 1983 in Sophmore year.. I had traction for a week before surgery, then had 9 hours of surgery with 2 Harrington Rods, stayed in the Hospital for Special Surgery in NYC for a month in the hospital ...was home bound from February to June with a body cast and home tutoring.. then I was able to live my life as normal .. as I did..

Now I am 43 years old with severe low back, hip and neck pain daily.. trouble sitting , standing, walking and getting in an out of a car or out of bed.. I got in touch with Gina after so man years on Facebook where we reconnected.. Thanks to Gina who directed me to talk to Dr. Barron Lonner (Scoliosis and Spine Associates, in NYC) which I did.. His personal caring way of communicating with me made me feel like a concern of his and not just a number in his office or like just anyone else... he was concerned about me.. .. it made my mind up and gave me the strength to say .. I will need this surgery either today or tomorrow at some point for me to live a normal quality of life.. ... I am petrified to have surgery but I tried the other alternatives and realize the longer I wait to correct this problem the harder or longer my recovery will be as I get older.. I am not one to go get major surgery at any time but ... I am glad I had my Scoliosis surgery years ago .. which gave me a normal life... as Dr. Lonner has explained to me.."My Scoliosis Surgery years ago with the Harrington Rods was the State of the Art surgery for Scoliosis and medicine is a learning experience every day.." my rods are still fully fused and intact but much scar tissue and Osteo Arthritis has now formed and about 3 discs have become degenerated and hitting nerves in my low low back.. therefore I lean forward and have chronic pain... It was not known years ago when surgeons performed surgery with Harrington Rods that patients with Harrington Rods would experience FLATBACK SYNDROME years after the surgery for correcting Scoliosis.. Anyone who had surgery with Harrington Rods, I am sure helped them live a more normal life.. fortunately medicine advances daily with research and experience.. so unfortunately many past Scoliosis patients with Harrington Rods are experiencing Flatback Syndrome but luckily it can be corrected!!!!!

Flatback can be corrected!!! Seek the advise of at least 2 surgeons or Orthpaedic Doctors that only specialize in Scoliosis and rare or severe Spine abnormalties... I strongly recommend Dr. Barron Lonner in NYC for anyone to get an opinion.. Everyone's story and symptons are different so each individual is different.. don't rely on the personal stories of each person to determine if you have Flatback Syndrome or other back problems.. seek the advice of a Medical Doctor..

I am scheduled to have my surgery March 16, 2011 with Dr. Lonner .. I decided to live a normal pain free life again.. ... Yes, nobody knows the final outcome .. but it is an individual's personal living and pain levels that will let anyone know when it is time to get evaluated or to have the last option of having surgery.... I am ready!!!!

Christine G.
                        christine.garafola@yahoo.com
                        christine.garafola@yahoo.com (for comments)
                        Last edited by christineg; 02-23-2011, 03:24 PM.

Comment

very glad you found Dr Lonner...he is a super human being!

jess

Comment

Wow, I guess all the raves I have heard from parents about this guy were right on the money. I know that Dr. Betz although thinks very highly of him. In fact, quite some time ago when a parent was scheduled to take her child to see Dr. Lonner (possibly for a VBS consult, I can't recall), she asked if I knew anything about him. At the time I didn't know much but when I asked Dr. Betz about him I believe the words he used were "Dr. Lonner is superb".
                            mariaf305@yahoo.com
                            Mom to David, age 17, braced June 2000 to March 2004
                            Vertebral Body Stapling 3/10/04 for 40 degree curve (currently mid 20's)

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ScoliosisTethering/

http://pediatricspinefoundation.org/

Comment

Your email address

Christine, sent you a private message. Lynn
                              1981 Surgery with Harrington Rod; fused from T2 to L3 - Dr.Keim (at 26 years old)
                              2000 Partial Rod Removal
                              2001 Right Scapular Resection
                              12/07/2010 Surgical stabilization L3 through sacrum with revision harrington rod instrumentation, interbody fusion and pre-sacral fusion L5-S1 - Dr. Boachie (at 56 years old)
                              06/11/14 - Posterior cervical fusion C3 - T3 (Mountaineer System) due to severely arthritic joints - Dr. Patrick O'Leary (at age 59)

Comment

Working...
                              X