First post-op appointment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First post-op appointment

I made the trek into NY yesterday to see Dr. B. He confirmed what the physical therapists have been telling me, that it will be "six months...maybe a year" until my leg comes back. He told me to see a neurologist for EMG studies and a CT scan, to check for nerve damage. He also gave me a script for intensive out-patient physical therapy. My left leg is also getting weak just from my limited mobility with the walker.

It was very awkward with him yesterday. On the one hand, he gave me a fantastic correction. But I would have gladly taken less of a correction if it meant sparing this post-op complication. But then again, there's no way of knowing if there's a correlation between the two. He had me try all of these maneuvers with my right leg which I couldn't do...I think he was surprised at how useless the leg is at the moment.

Perhaps physical therapy will speed things along...we'll see.
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

6 months to a year is what my doctor told me yesterday as well about the nerve damage in my left leg. I'm sorry you have to go through this and I'm surprised that no one really informed us about nerve damage in the legs before surgery. So, Dr. Boachie did not say that he would have to do a small revision surgery? My surgeon suggested that, but as a last resort.

What are EMG studies? Please let me know how the EMG and CT scans turn out.

Best of luck to you,
    Anya
    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by abhbarry
      I'm surprised that no one really informed us about nerve damage
      Both Drs. Hammerberg and Schafer in Chicago cautioned me about nerve damage.

Chris

Comment

Hi Anya, Sorry you are having this issue as well. No, Dr. B never mentioned any kind of revision surgery -- aaaaugh! (he wouldn't have dared yesterday, anyway..!) Since I am no longer having nerve pain, just extreme muscle weakness, I am hoping PT will fix me up eventually.

I'm not real sure what goes on with an EMG study, but I know it has something to do with hooking up electrodes to your extremities to determine if nerves are functioning properly. Good luck to you too!
        Chris

Comment

Both Drs. Hammerberg and Schafer in Chicago cautioned me about nerve damage
          . ChrisWBS

Chris:

All the dangers are spelled out on the operative consent one signs at the surgeon'soffice in advance. I remember DR. Boachie mentioning these various possibilities. I knew them all. It is indeed a frightening decision and anything can go wrong with the most minor surgeries. Even life itself. The diet doctor Atkins slipped on ice while walking in New York City, hit his head while falling, and became brain dead. All the diets in the world would not help with that one.

During surgery the spinal nerves are continuously monitored as the correction is being performed. If a monitor shows a problem then the correction is halted. The nerves are then monitored to watch the recovery and a wake up test is performed EVERY time.
          During the recovery period there will be swellng around many nerves which can mimic nerve damage but the nerves usually recover.

I noticed one leg feeling different than the other for many months and that leg would tire first. The more I exercised it reasonably the better it became.

Now I can hike in the mountains but it took a good year and half.
          Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
          Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

Hi Karen,

That is good to know that the swelling can mimic nerve damage. My surgeon said that my nerve reactions never faltered during surgery - they were completely steady the whole time. I guess this is why I was surprised about the nerve damage, but I suppose it is too early to tell whether it is permanent, or just from the swelling. What a surgery! I feel blessed though to come out of it with relatively few complications, with the hope for a better, more pain-free life!

Best,
            Anya
            "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
            Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
            19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Chris,

I just hope you don't get too discouraged. You're only 2 months post-op and you have to give your body time to heal. It does take nerves a while to come back to life. I still have numb spots and I know that doesn't compare to your complication right now.

You got an excellent correction, but the first time I saw my xrays afterwards, I was slightly dissappointed, and I said to him "that's it", I guess I expected more, but he told me that was as far as he could push it without causing nerve damage, and I was okay with that.

You know you have one of the best in this field, so I hope you can try and give yourself some time to heal!!! I love my surgeon, but my right rod is slightly longer on top than the left one, and at the least amount of stress or frustration, those shoulder muscles contract and my right arm is out of commision.

I had lots of other pains so soon after my surgery, but that's one of the only ones that has persisted. 2 months is not a long time for the healing process considering what you have gone through, but I understand your thoughts and concerns about what you're going through!!!

You're in my thoughts and prayers daily,
              Shari

Comment

Thank you Shari!
                Chris

Comment

Working...
                X