Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Im scared! please help!

Hey Everyone!
    About mid-February of this year, we had an annual spinal screening at our school. They mis-informed me that i had a 10 degree curve in my back and they told me i needed to go get it checked out! So, we go to the local hospital and the doctor says it was mcuh worse then a 10 degree curve and that i needed to get x-rays. After the x-rays came in i was informed that my spine had a 35 degree curve a the top, then followed into a 10 degree twist, and then led into anotheer 35 degree curve. My first appointment (consultation) is tomorrow at Scottish Rite Hospital in Dallas. Im so scared. The local doctors have already told me that surgery is the most possible option. Please post back on any information. I'm only 14 and I'm so scared. Thanks!
    Love Always
    ~*Katie*~

hi Katie,

I too have scoliosis very bad so i know what you're going through. i had a spinal screening at school before and the nurse said that i have a "slight" curve. Well they were wrong. my mom took me to the drs after i got the screening and i was told i have between a 70 and 80 degree curve. all of it in my upper back and it HURTS!!! i'm going back tomorrow for an xray to see if i can go with a brace right now or if i need to go right away with surgery. anyway if you need someone to talk to, i'm here. my email is vdawg2007@yahoo.com

Good luck,
    Virginia

There's another thing we have in common, Katie. we're both the same age

Comment

Wow, I can't believe your pediatricians wouldn't have seen your curves long ago!

Katie: Your curves are bad, but not extremely severe. Most doctors wait until 45-50 degrees to consider surgery. For now, your curve may be held in place by a brace, so don't get too scared about an immediate surgery, though that is a definite possibility for the future.

Virginia: A seventy to eighty degree curve is really, really bad, though its good that its only a single curve. Surgery will most likely be your only option, and a logical choice, especially if you are experiencing back pain.

Good luck to you both!
      Charlotte

48 degree upper curve
      L2 to T4
      Braced for 4 years
      Surgery 2/4/04

Comment

Katie:

I can second what dapsbounce8 tells you: 35 degrees is not panic time. My daughter was 36/30 when she was diagnosed six months ago. She went straight into a brace 23 hours a day, which we thought was going to be impossible, but really isn't that big a deal now. Her curves are still progressing, but slowly, and are now at 42/36. Her surgeon says he won't be looking at surgery until she gets to 50 degrees. In the meantime, she's going about her normal business. She can do everything she did before she got into the brace except wear some more revealing clothes (which her father thinks is actually an advantage!).

We know from experience that this whole thing is totally scary when it starts. but so far anyway, everything has been quite manageable for us. So hang in there, and remember that there are lots of girls out there going through the same thing as you are.

Cheers - Patricia
        Patricia
        Scoli Mum from New Zealand
        Daughter Caitlin's surgery 2nd May 2005
        Posterior fusion T3 - L1

Comment

School Screenings "numbers"

The "numbers" they come up with during school screenings are a different type of measurement than what the ortho will do when you get that exam. So the "ten" figure you report isn't the same measurement scale the ortho uses.

I was very confused by that when my son failed the school screen. I asked the doctor if it had progressed that quickly and they explained that the measurements were entirely different. the school didn't mis-read the curve at all and it didn't necessarily get worse. They are just different ways of measuring the same curve.

Comment

it'll be ok

Katie:

I know what you are going through. I had surgery when I was 11. It really isnt as bad as it seems. you'll do just great! Keep smiling!

p.s. dont be scared. it'll breeze by just like any other day.

Love Always.
            Christine
            Christine Workman

Comment

Dear Katie,

What can I say? Just try not to jump to any conclusions. Wait and hear what the doctors have to say. Bring a pen and a pad of paper and write down any questions you have so you don't forget them...you're going to be pretty stressed out. It's also kind of nice to be able to write things down when they feel really emotional.

Good luck. I'll think about you tomorrow and it really seems like people on this site are very supportive, so please take comfort in that. You're just going there to talk tomorrow...nothing is going to "happen," so just try to think positively and take it all in.
              Good luck tomorrow!
              Cristy

Comment

Re: Im scared! please help!

Katie,

Check out this Link

My sister is also from Wichita Falls and consulted with doctors from Shriners in Dallas. Like you, Shriners recommended surgery. As you read the post from the link, you can try Rolfing, Acupuncture, Myofascial Release Therapy, & Craniosacral Therapy.

Rolfing is working great right now, but she will more than likely have to have treatments for the rest of her life along with regular exercising and a well balanced diet.

Thanks to Flashcrimson and other posters on this site for valuable information not found elsewhere..

Comment

Katie...

Hey Katie. I am going to Shriners in Shreveport, Louisiana. When Iwent for my evalutation appiontment, they told me that I have to go have the surgery also. Mine is in Sept. I know what you mean when u say that u are scared. I'm scared too. More like terrified. I'm 14 year old boy from Southwest Louisiana.. You can email me at hard_roc_child08@hotmail.com. Hope to hear from you to answer some of your questions.`
                  Matt

Rod Removal Surgery 2/4/2008
                  www.myspace.com/ross40728
                  Had surgery on 9/20/04
                  81* Scheuermann's Disease
                  40* Left Thoracic Scoliosis
                  U Rod Inserted
                  Fused from T2-L3

Comment

Dear katie,

I just went for x-rays today to see if i had any kind of curving at all ... i have been in extre pain for about 2 weeks now and was finally sent to get x-rays..... the girl who was taking my x-rays had told me when she checked them to see if the turned out that i have an S shaped curve and that it looks serious ... i was hoping that i didnt have it because i ahve a a best friend who has been going throought the same thing for about a year now and it just scares me alot to think that the same thing is happening to me.... it is very noticeable my shroulder has shifted quite abit and u can bumps ... so i do know what ur going thro and how scared you probably are rihgt now!! if u want to talk about it e-mail me at chickyamber@hotmail.com..... i probably wont know much about considering i have just really found out what it really is! goodluck hun and i hope things wokr out for you!!!

Comment

Hi Katie, My name is Kadi Im 16 and also amber's ^ best friend. I was diagnoised with scoliosis last year and went into it so scared I had people to talk to but no one that was really my age! I know whats its like to be confused about something thats in your own body and also be scared of it at the same time. I know you posted that a while ago but if your looking for someone to talk to still my email is subtle_attraction@hotmail.com Good Luck!

Kadi

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Ber, Hun I know your scared and I wish I could be up at your dads house with you! I hate that what I have you also have know... not only does it make me n you more a like but it also pains me to see my best friend go through the same pain as me. Lucky for you I know whats it like and I can be atleast comforting you! When you come home we can talk about it if you want to... And you know you always have me and my mom if you ever just need to vent or talk about it or even as questions.. But Im so scared about my appoint. on august 16th since i dont know what there going to tell me! And the brace isnt helping any more... coinsidently im wearing write now. Anyways hun I just wanted you to know Im here for you Oh and i got a new email lol subtle_attraction@hotmail.com I love you lots!!
                      XOXO Kadi XOXO
                      ~*~KaDi~*~

Comment

Hi,
                        Hearing the words "scoliosis" can be an overwhelming thing. But, dont be scared, there are all kinds of ways to treat it. I have had 3 surgeries to correct mine, but that doesnt mean you will go through the same thing. I would like to talk to you privately about my experiences....God Bless,
                        Tiffany

Comment

Working...
                        X