Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long was it until fusion was visible on x-rays?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long was it until fusion was visible on x-rays?

I was wondering how long those of you that are ahead of me in recovery, was it before you and the surgeon could actually see the bone fusion taking place on your x-rays? I thought for sure i could see something at my 6 weeks checkup and my doc said it was impossible to see this soon, and he was right, it did not look any different than the post-op x-rays. I was pretty disappointed, as I wanted a crumb of encouragement that the hard work ( and sacrificing) was paying off. I know now that it was ridiculous to expect to compare it to the one level cervical fusion that i had year before last, but, I really thought there would be SOMETHING there to show my body was accepting the metal and donor bone. I also have developed an irregular heartbeat problem that is having to be treated, and i know my body is waging war with itself to overcome what I have thrown at it. I guess that is my underlying fear, is what happens if the grafts don't take. I was grateful it was all still in place and not broken like many of you have had to deal with. I wish i could have had some donor PATIENCE put in. So, maybe you all could toss me some pearls of wisdom?
    Lisa age 47
    T curve 69 degrees
    L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
    fused to from T-3 to sacrum
    anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
    pushing hard in recovery !!

I was also surprised at my 6 week check that there was no sign of fusion yet, but he did say we should see some at the next appt. (which he put off for an extra month, because of the drive,) I go back at the end of Sept.
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

I just had my three month post op exam on the 17th of July, and I was able to see where the fusion was taking place. It won't be too much longer!

Comment

I have a staph infection, does anyone know if the infection interfere with the fusion?

Sue

Comment

thanks !

I appreciate the feedback, I will calm it down a little. I am thankful for all of you- Lisa
          Lisa age 47
          T curve 69 degrees
          L curve 40 degrees more or less - compensatory
          fused to from T-3 to sacrum
          anterior and posterior surgeries completed June 1, 2007
          pushing hard in recovery !!

Comment

Working...
          X